• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Official AMD Ryzen 3 Vermeer (4***/5***) Rumors and Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When Zen 2 first came out, the talk was around that IO is one of those things that doesn't benefit particularly from being on a leading edge process. TSMC 7nm is often thrown around like it is the ultimate process to have, but it still comes at a cost, and if not needed why not use an older cheaper process?

Very true, I just think there was a lot of people who predicted/expected a change to the IO die. There was a lot of people expecting higher ram speeds to be useable but that turned out to not be the case.

I am sure we shall see a new IO die for Zen4 whether that is on 7nm or whatever.

I'll bet you a ham sammich that there will be someone still on 1024x768 that will be prepared to argue that these new gen models are a waste of money 'cause it doesn't improve their exprience playing Flight Sim 1.
*Shakes fist in the air

:clap: :thup: :rofl:

Ok, I'll admit, been a bad nerd and lost track of the new chips dropping. What're the chances of the local MC having one in stock Saturday...? Desktop is due for a 75% overhaul.

Sadface, tried at 6am this morning (out of town in California) at best buy, amazon, and newegg and the search results didn't return anything. But apparently, they had listed and sold out within a minute of when the stock checker locations I follow had posted them. So I did get a pre-order in at B&H last night, but who knows how long that will take to fulfill.

NewEgg's web site has an issue, when I instructed it to include only in-stock items, the OOS RTX 30-series are still listed! :mad:

Very true, I just think there was a lot of people who predicted/expected a change to the IO die. There was a lot of people expecting higher ram speeds to be useable but that turned out to not be the case.

I am sure we shall see a new IO die for Zen4 whether that is on 7nm or whatever.

I was actually expecting that the 5000 series will use a faster memory controller and a higher IF clock. This is a huge disappointment as the 4000 series can make 4400+ 1:1 while 5000 series is barely better than the 3000. So yes there is a higher CPU clock which is good but barely makes any difference for work or gaming. Most users won't see any point in upgrading to 5000 series unless they already have older CPU than 2-3 generations.
I just feel like Ryzen 5000 is another refresh of what we see for a couple of years already. We can complain at Intel but AMD is doing exactly the same.

I'm not saying that Ryzen 5000 is bad. It's just not what I was expecting, not to mention a significant price bump compared to the last gen.

I did see the 5800X in stock after launch yesterday but they're gone now. 5600X still available as part of a mobo bundle at one supplier here, but it isn't cheap... mobo pricing has been going up in recent years, and given this is a high end 6 core, makes you wonder where you should choose 6 faster cores over 8 (or more) slower ones.

I did find it interesting when skimming some reviews yesterday, that 6 fast cores (5600X) was for many games better than 8 older cores (Zen 2 or Intel). I wanted 8 cores for my forward looking gaming system, but still 6 cores are sufficient for most thing. I shouldn't retire my 8086k yet :)

I was actually expecting that the 5000 series will use a faster memory controller and a higher IF clock. This is a huge disappointment as the 4000 series can make 4400+ 1:1 while 5000 series is barely better than the 3000. So yes there is a higher CPU clock which is good but barely makes any difference for work or gaming. Most users won't see any point in upgrading to 5000 series unless they already have older CPU than 2-3 generations.
I just feel like Ryzen 5000 is another refresh of what we see for a couple of years already. We can complain at Intel but AMD is doing exactly the same.

I'm not saying that Ryzen 5000 is bad. It's just not what I was expecting, not to mention a significant price bump compared to the last gen.

That’s what got everyone excited, you see the 4000 series with high memory speed and you are thinking the 5000 will have this.

It definitely looks like a case of AMD becoming Intel. I would be tempted by the 5600x, but not at $300 when the 3600x is what, $220? Certainly seems to be overpriced and maybe under delivered? And the thing is at that price you are competing with a 10600k which is on par when gaming so you lose out on being the value option and have to compete only on speed.

I just get the impression they have held back a little, they don’t want you to buy these except at the high price. They are selling millions of console chips and they are entering the high end graphics card market after 5 years and they are simply stretched with capacity. That’s the way you have to see it.

I got my 4650G about a month ago. It cost me ~$280. Now 5600X costs ~$420 in local stores where it's available. 3900X, so 12 cores, costs ~$490, 5800X, so 8 cores, costs ~$590. These prices are ridiculous. I have tax of 23% here.
For gamers it doesn't really matter if they upgrade to the 5000 series as most new games base on graphics card performance and any, let's say modern, 6 core CPU is enough. It looks great in benchmarks but who cares if there is even 10% improvement when tests are showing 100FPS+.

I will still get the 5600X as I need something new for tests but not like I'm really excited about it. I was thinking about more cores but prices are way too high and for me it won't change much anyway.

Out of the loop with AMD CPUs, when do new Zen 3 Threadrippers come out? Haven't been able to find squat about them, if they even exit. Getting that upgrade itch. Need more PCI-e lanes.

Out of the loop with AMD CPUs, when do new Zen 3 Threadrippers come out? Haven't been able to find squat about them, if they even exit. Getting that upgrade itch. Need more PCI-e lanes.
I haven't seen anything for them yet

I assume the new thread ripper will just see the performance increase that desktop chips see but everything else will stay the same. So 5xxx series thread ripper will have same number of PCIE as 3xxx thread ripper.

I wouldn’t be surprised to not see a new threadripper. At the moment Intel have nothing in the HEDT market that can take on threadripper and probably won’t for a while. I can see AMD wanting to just preserve silicon for other things, mainly the consoles which are completely sold out.

I wouldn’t be surprised to not see a new threadripper. At the moment Intel have nothing in the HEDT market that can take on threadripper and probably won’t for a while. I can see AMD wanting to just preserve silicon for other things, mainly the consoles which are completely sold out.

It will come, just a matter of when. Look at previous generations, the desktop CPUs come first, Threadripper later, along with APUs and mobile. If anything AMD are even slower this time since they didn't even flesh out the upper desktop stack yet.

It is difficult to say how much the console side affects desktop CPUs. What they are selling now and in near future would have been predicted and scheduled a LONG time ago. These are not things you can change suddenly just because demand is higher than you expected. Sony and MS will have some order in with AMD. AMD will have some order in with TSMC. There will be some ongoing run rate. If there is to be any increase in future production beyond existing schedules, AMD will have to decide how to allocate between console demands and their own needs. I think the console makers wont want to pay more for the chips to bump up their priority, as that'll affect the pricing of the consoles. Unless they want to charge more to the end user, or take less profit in the hopes that software growth will pay back any hardware losses. AMD will likely follow the money however it goes.

APUs were already announced and weird thing is that 5000 laptop APUs will be mixed Zen 2 and Zen 3. Server chips may appear before the new TR as I see that AMD wants to take some more market shares from Intel, and so far they are on the good way convincing big corporations.

I just saw that. The even number skus (like 5800u) are zen3, but odd skus (5700u) are zen2. Why are they doing that?

APUs were already announced and weird thing is that 5000 laptop APUs will be mixed Zen 2 and Zen 3. Server chips may appear before the new TR as I see that AMD wants to take some more market shares from Intel, and so far they are on the good way convincing big corporations.

Well that’s good. Assuming minimal price increases, mid/upper end Threadripper = $1500, new mobo = $500. Need new memory too since all I have is 16gb DDR4 2400mz lol. Over 2k. Gives me time to save $

So 4 rams sticks > 2 rams sticks. Even though it is only dual channel. Might want to test once our reviewers get hands on these CPU's.

Wondering if it's dual rank vs single rank thing... which is also found with 2x16gb kits...

(Didn't watch the nearly 30 min vid)

Wondering if it's dual rank vs single rank thing... which is also found with 2x16gb kits...

(Didn't watch the nearly 30 min vid)

Wendel from level1 tech said 2x16 is the ideal config so thats likely it. but 4x8 > 2x8.

Back