• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ol' Papsomax makes a farm, eei eei ooohhh!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How loud is it in that room??
what???????????? did he say something??????????????? huh???????

Well I have to turn th farms off if I wanna watch a sruuound sound thx movie since that is also my big screen room as well

Well, must have been a ghost as the gaming box monitor as it works today...so I've upgraded to version 2 of LTSP and the farm will be up and folding today..also..I'm beginning to have all my ocix diskless boxes to fold via the farm server

hooah!

EDIT of original post. The Duron 1.6 was retired and in its place I placed an XP 2400@2250 so with a new psu, the farm is now up to six layers, with a 7 layer folding from the net.

paps

Outstanding job Pappy. All that powah in such a neat package. A major accomplishment. Good luck on the bug extermination.

BTW: In looking at your stats I see you got 4 points for 27 wu's (9 am update 6/13/04). Do you have one of those boxen in reverse. LOL :)

Last edited:
BTW: In looking at your stats I see you got 4 points for 27 wu's (9 am update 6/13/04). Do you have one of those boxen in reverse. LOL
Ya, I'm not sure...I've been getting some weird wu/point distro lately. I've heard of a bad protein I think 1090 that's been causing a lot of weird wu to point distros.

With the advent of the 2400@2250 instead of the Duron..the farm (I have 2 open slots to fill yet) is now up to 14,125MHz which brings my total home to: 32,023MHz and my total home + borg up to: 51,403MHz....though not all of that is folding for Team 32.....the new farm is actually helping out someone else as a promise I made to them for helping me out......so I have stats for 2 teams now....

At work they are replacing all PII 350 with P4 2.xxx?? so hopefull I'' be able to borg a few of those once I get back to work..........those of course will fold for Team 32........

Hooah! paps

Actually was thinking to use the A64 as a client only, as I don't think OcixLTSP has been optimised for the A64......the oc'd 2400+ seems to be doing a good job...but thanks for the suggestion.....now if I can just find a cheap A64 3000...hmmmmmmmmm
paps

Arkaine23 said:
Gorgeous!

If you want to have the folding monitor karamba theme for your LTSP server (like EM3), here's what you do-

On the server-

su
[enter root's password to beocme root]
apt-get install karamba
[press control + D to become knoppix again]

Now download this into your home directory-

http://overclockix.octeams.com/folding-karamba-0.5.tgz

You'll want to extract it using ark (just right-click and open with ark), go to actions and extract all files into your home directory.

To launch it,

karamba /home/knoppix/folding-karamba-0.5/folding-karamba.theme
(I think that's the right path and filename.....)

foldtheme.jpg

Now you get the theme monitoring one folding client at /home/knoppix/fold (this directory does not exist in the LTSP release). Right-click on it and you can edit the configuration file to correct the path, and add all your other clients as well. Some examples for multiple clients are already at the bottom of the config file and are commented out with a "#". And some instructions are written into the config file itself on what to edit, as it will need some minor adjustment in certain other places. Tinker on it a bit until you've got it monitoring all your clients and you'll be set. You can save the config file and then right-click to reload the theme to test changes as you make them. Clicking on the protein pic will bring up your stats page at Stanford in mozilla. :)

You can then create either a desktop icon or an icon in the kicker (quick launch bar) for this theme using the command above as the "execute" line.

This theme is pretty easy-going on CPU cycles. You can find more themes for karamba on www.kde-look.org

I'll include this eventually in the LTSP release and modify it so that it requires less tinkering, but it'll have to wait until I can get a net connection again.

I tried following your instructions, but when I type the command "apt-get install karamba", I get the following:

"W: not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened."

What does this mean?

That sounds like your /var partition is mounted read-only. What happens when you type "mount"?

well I am booting off the cd, is this normal? I will have to check the /var thing later when I am connected to that computer again.

Oh, well then that would by why. You don't have a hard drive on your server machine? I don't have much experience running linux directly off of a cd, but certainly without any writeable media you won't be able to install any new software, i.e. you're stuck with what's on the cd. Of course, you must have something that's writeable, otherwise F@H wouldn't work.

I can run FAH just fine, but I can't install the karamba stuff so I can get the monitoring to work. Do I need a hard drive for this part to function?

You don't need a hdd, a pendrive of 250mb or >, as they seem to work better than other type of flash drives, or a hdd to save. If you have 512 or larger ram you can save some items to ram (like your password, desktop wallpapers and this program), but it is volatile and will go away with power outages, powr downs etc. You need to make a persistent home in case of power outages, etc so you don't have to start setup and your folding all over from the beginning and you should save the knoppix configs as well for the same reason. Yes it is better to have a pendrive or a hdd to save, but not absolutely necessary.

do this

sudo passwd root
then creat a new passwd
then do su
your passwd
then try the above again

To install karamba as I mentioned, you'd need a hard drive installation of the OS. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to modify overdoze's work a little to add karamba and maybe some folding-specific backgrounds so that they'll work from the CD.

Well unfor, the hdd install both versions, still don't work for me...the clients when booting hdd install try to access the cd where knoppx is and fail to boot...so I'm still booting of the cd as the hdd wont work..

Monitoring it via EMIII or F@H stat log is still better for me anyway,

I did the hdd install and it work fine. However, once in a while I still have to reconfigure terminal server for it to work correctly.

Back