• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old school AMD Athlon XP temp 100'c+... why hasnt it died?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuerteStuart

Registered
Hello all,
Im currently awaiting a new PC to arrive to replace this heap of junk that i have been using for the last 5 years. Was never into OCing until i was planning to upgrade. It was that point that i installed speedfan and realised my CPU temp was hitting 105'c and that was the reason for my recent crashes. 6 months of them and slowly getting worse

I have since cleaned heat dump, put a larger fan on it and reapplied arctic silver paste, but the temp is still hitting 85'c whilst gaming.. and 72'c
What would i have to do to melt the som'bich? has anyone else had their chips running this high for this long and not suffered to much crazyness??

Dont think it was a sensor error. when i cleaned the heatsink, i had to wait 20 mins before it was cool enough to remove without burning my fingers

Hello all,
Im currently awaiting a new PC to arrive to replace this heap of junk that i have been using for the last 5 years. Was never into OCing until i was planning to upgrade. It was that point that i installed speedfan and realised my CPU temp was hitting 105'c and that was the reason for my recent crashes. 6 months of them and slowly getting worse

I have since cleaned heat dump, put a larger fan on it and reapplied arctic silver paste, but the temp is still hitting 85'c whilst gaming.. and 72'c
What would i have to do to melt the som'bich? has anyone else had their chips running this high for this long and not suffered to much crazyness??

Which core is that? Is that a Palomino?

Try CPU-Z. It will tell you the core name. Mobile Barton cores are rated up to 100 degrees celsius. I suppose its possible that it could survive running that hot, I have a mobile Core 2 Duo in a Mac mini that consistently runs in the 90s celsius while folding and it's still chugging away.

If its a Palamino core I could sort of understand the high temp, I think Palaminos just run very hot in general. My friend's Palamino 2000+ has idled in the 60s for years, and it has a SLK-947U w/ 90mm fan, AS5 thermal paste, and adequate case cooling, yet still that chip runs hot. Could be a sensor error too I suppose. Do you have adequate ventilation inside and around your computer?

It's a T'bred, thus, should OC reasonably.

T'breds seem to be the most common. At least where I am.

Just clean the heatsink and reseat the heatsink, after redoing the heatsink compound.

Ive never OC'd it, the temp was the issue...
I cleaned, reseated, recompounded the heatsink and reduced the temp by 20'c but its still ~80'c

I wonder how hot it would get if i did OC it... hmmm toast ;-)

hmm....

when i fire up speed fan with my rig....................temp 1 is my cpu temp

temp 2 and 3 is a readout on MB chips, i believe....

so, you now need to figure out how to lower the chip temps on the MB.....

your CPU temp appears normal, prolly has been all along.

it is your MB that is freakin' out.....

laterzzzz.....................

You might want to check another program to get a second opinion on your CPU temp. Try Everest Home Edition 2.20. It should work fine with older Athlon XP-era hardware and on my Socket A boards the CPU temp readout was/is fairly accurate.

Also like sp00nix suggested you might want to see what is taking up your CPU usage. It shouldn't be at 100% unless you either have a benchmark or utility running, perhaps a distributed computing project running, or some virus/spyware playing around in your system's background.

Core temp wont run with my AMD chip,

My CPU isnt normally running at 100% that was just because i was using several IE windows and opening paint to "Prt Scrn" paste into. it normally idles around 2-10%

- Results from Everest straight after boot-up
Temperatures:
Motherboard 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU 71 °C (160 °F)
Seagate ST380012A 4 °C (39 °F)
Seagate ST380011A 39 °C (102 °F)

Temp 1 result on Speedfan is motherboard not CPU

Back