• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old school AMD Athlon XP temp 100'c+... why hasnt it died?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds to me like the hsf on that old machine is crap and can't deal with the heat effectively. And those old Tbreds are some really tough beasts and will take abuse like you wouldn't believe. If you want to overclock that old system you will need to upgrade to a better hsf for that processor.

Ive had a winchester 3000+ run at 127C according to BIOS.. and I know it was close to that temp as well, as when I touched the heatsink, the skin from the back of my hand was MELTED onto the heatsink.

Imo, TCaseMax is a guide. CPUs -can- run hotter, but really really -shouldnt-.

the cpuz screenshot suggests the CPU is acually UNDERCLOCKED
bus speed should be 200Mhz which would make the "rated FSB" 400Mhz
also 2600 its a tbred b and i belive should be running 2.2Ghz

i know its nothing to do with the heat issue but its something i noticed. mabe the voltage has no where to go so it just heats up....i donno your computer is fail

Some of those chips were 333 FSB

Just as an update i plan on OC'ing this bugger when my new rig comes, I wanna push it as far as it can go just to see what speed i can get from it.

Any guesses as to the Temp at frying point?!?
before i cleaned & reseated the heatsink it was crashing every now and then around 110'c

I cringe at the thought of a chip hittin 110!

I cringe when I think how long this processor was running at those temps without me knowing...

but it leaves me with that "must look at a car crash" feeling and sheer curiosity as to how far one of these tanks can go before the tracks fall off:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::drool::eek::)

little late posting but

yep I tried killing a 2100 tbred one time never happen and the chip still runs to this day. It ran at 1.65+ vcore with the water pump off on a water loop that wasn't very good. Took me about 10-15 mins to figure out way it wouldn't never make it to the desktop.... also took the chip to around 1.7ish vcore on air :D

Back