• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over clocking FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sheremy01

Registered
Ok I have read quite a few posts but still need help. I have a ga78lmt-usb3 MB with a FX6300 and corsair 1333MHz ram ( two 4GB sticks in dual channel). I have been raising only the multiplier to overclock and can't seem to get past 18.5. If I go to 19x I get an error in prime 95. Do I need to had voltage and if so how much would be safe? PS I am extremely afraid of adding voltage so as many details as possible would be helpful.

First, you need to check temps before you start adding voltage. Download and install Prime95, CPU-z and HWMonitor (non pro version).

Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Don't close HWMonitor until you capture the image and save it to disc. Then attach it to your next post so we can have a look at your temps and voltages. We will need to see the CPU vcore, the TMPINx/CPU temp section and the package temp in your image.

To attach a pic with a post, click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of every new post window. When the advanced post window pops up then click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/upload tool to allow you to find and upload the desired attachment.

By the way, Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for framing, cropping and capturing screen images.

Ok here is a screen shot. By the way thanks very much for telling me how to add an image. I had tried to click the little mountain icon, but that wanted a url.

Attachments

• overclock.jpg
    overclock.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 98
TMPIN2 is probably your CPU (socket area) temp. It usually is on gigabyte boards. You don't want this one to exceed 70c. And you don't want your package temps to exceed 60c. This is a rule of thumb we use around here because we find that instability begins to set in at around those temp points.

So the very best way for us to help you is to have you take digital pics of your bios sections that have to do with frequencies and voltages and then attach them with a post. That way we can see what you see and use the specific terminology that your motherboard bios uses instead of general terminology. Can you do that? Do you have a camera phone? Some bioses will take a screen shot that you can save to a thumb drive when you press the F12 key. Check that out as it would be the handiest.

Your motherboard will have issues the further you push it.

Your Ram prevents you from doing much overclocking with the FSB.

Sounds good. Watch the file size of the pics when you go to attach them. I think there is a limit so you might want to turn down the pixel count on your camera for this. 640x480 pics seem about right I think.

Your motherboard will have issues the further you push it.

Probably true. We will see how far we can get.

Your Ram prevents you from doing much overclocking with the FSB.

You can always lower the starting ram speed to make some headroom.

Correct. 1866 speed ram lets you use the FSB to reach some nice OC using FSB and multi.

It took a ram speed of 2239 to allow me to really see what my FX is capable of.

sheremy01, please attach pics directly instead of link to them. Links are too much of a hassle. You have to click back and forth.

Take this off of Auto. Auto hides options. You want to start it at the 1066 level instead of the 1333 level.

Attachments

• Clock.PNG
    Clock.PNG
    217.6 KB · Views: 104
Take all the menu items that show in post #13 off of Auto and Disable Core Performance Boost. Also disable Cool N Quiet, C1E and APM (all the "green" settings).

Ok I will attach them directly. I tried FSB and it seemed to raise the northbridge temp. I have a 40mm fan coming Friday, so I will have to wait till Friday before I try lowering ram speeds and increasing FSB. So what I an getting is, I need to lower the ram speed and increase FSB and multiplier to reach a stable overclock above 3.7GHz?

Ok, but If I take them off auto what will the run at? Do I need to set those values and if so what would I set them too?

CPU Host Clock Control.

Set to Manual and make sure it is set to 200. Setting to auto may have a slight raise in FSB.

So when it is set to auto the FSB may be rising and that is what makes me go unstable perhaps?

So when it is set to auto the FSB may be rising and that is what makes me go unstable perhaps?

Could be. But I have seen several boards with the FSB set to auto and the motherboard will set it to 201 or 202.

When you take things off of Auto they will not suddenly change from what they were. Whatever they were while on Auto they will remain there until you manually change them.

Lower the Memory frequency to 1066.

Increase the CPU frequency in 10 mhz increments. After each increment, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend run with HWMonitor open in the background to monitor temps and voltages. When you first fail Prime95 (blue screen or lockup or spontaneous reset or a core worker quits constitute failure) add .025 to the CPU voltage and retest. You want to keep CPU socket temps 70c or under and package temps at 60c or under. Keep this in mind as you add CPU voltge as that will drive temps up.

Back