• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over clocking FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is my motherboard even good for overclocking? It is a ga78lmt-usb3. Only reason I bought it was to save money with having integrated video, instead of buying full atx and buying a graphics card. This may be an issue where I am going to pay for skimping out.

Is my motherboard even good for overclocking? It is a ga78lmt-usb3. Only reason I bought it was to save money with having integrated video, instead of buying full atx and buying a graphics card. This may be an issue where I am going to pay for skimping out.

No.

Ok thanks for the help. I think I will just forget overclocking for now and buy a better motherboard with external graphics card.

I agree with Priller. Your motherboard is not a good choice for overclocking an FX CPU. It may do fine at stock speeds and voltages but will let you down pretty quickly if you try to overclock. Actually, it has nice overclocking controls in the bios but the power phase components of the board are pretty lite duty. It would probably give you a good overclock on a Sempron or Athlon II X2.

I also have a athlon II 640 x4 I replaced with the fx6300. So I will probably be giving this board and that cpu to my sister and her husband for a build. They don't really do anything but watch videos, google earth, and surf the web.

Priller lists some excellent boards that will handle either the six core or the eight core FX CPUs but they are expensive. I would add to his heavy duty board list the ASRock 990FX Extreme9. But with the 6 core FXs you can get by just fine with less like the Asus 5A99x Evo R.2 and it isn't so expensive. You want to stay away from boards that have only a 4=1 or 4+2 power phase component and move up to at least a 6+2 board.

Ok so I put the bus speed on manual and 200. I raised the multiplier to 19X and was stable.

I left the bus speed at 200 on manual and multiplier 19.5. Ran prime 95 and hw monitor and still stable and safe temps.

When overclocking, stable means being able to pass the Prime95 blend test for at least two hours in our vocabulary. Have you stress tested it that way yet?

Yes I tested for 2hr and 10min. Going to try multiplier 20 and stop there Saturday. I will get my 40mm fan for the northbridge Saturday. I will run a final 6hr test then.

Ok I put a 40mm fan on the northbridge and a 70mm fan on the motherboard vrm. I set FSB to manual 200 and disabled turbo core using amd overdrive. After testing with prime for over 2hrs I am stable at 4.2 GHz Now what I need to know if, how many watts is my cpu pulling at 4.2GHz?

Now what I need to know if, how many watts is my cpu pulling at 4.2GHz?

The power consumed by a CPU is approximately proportional to CPU frequency, and to the square

of the CPU voltage:

P= C V2 f

where C is capacitance, f is frequency, and V is voltage.

You could solve the equation for C using the default rated TDP of your processor and the default speed of your processor and its' default voltage. Then using that C value you could substitute the new Frequency and Voltage and solve the equation for P and get a crude power consumption of the cpu guesstimation.

The power consumed by a CPU is approximately proportional to CPU frequency, and to the square

of the CPU voltage:

P= C V2 f

where C is capacitance, f is frequency, and V is voltage.

You could solve the equation for C using the default rated TDP of your processor and the default speed of your processor and its' default voltage. Then using that C value you could substitute the new Frequency and Voltage and solve the equation for P and get a crude power consumption of the cpu guesstimation.

I tried that and can't get it to work. My tdp is 95 watts, voltage is 1.356, and frequency is 4.2GHz. Multiply all that and I get 541 watts.

Their formula not mine. I never have worrried about the P of the cpu since I could not do anything about it anyway. I just bought a heavy-duty motherboard/heavy-duty cooling and went on clocking. About all anyone can do when they begin to overclock which is running parts and pieces out of specifications anyway.
RGone...

Trents would a vcore of 1.4250 be safe for the FX6300 at 4.3GHz. 4.2 runs fine on auto voltage but 4.3 gets errors after 6min.

That depends on what your temps are running right now under load. I haven't seen a recent HWmonitor pic under load so I really couldn't tell you if it's safe. Have you been momitoring your temps?? If so 62c for the package and 70 for the CPU/ socket is what we recommend as "safe"

That depends on what your temps are running right now under load. I haven't seen a recent HWmonitor pic under load so I really couldn't tell you if it's safe. Have you been momitoring your temps?? If so 62c for the package and 70 for the CPU/ socket is what we recommend as "safe"

Yes I always monitor temps. I have attached a screen shot of hw monitor when the computer was being tortured by prime 95. This test was at 4.2GHz with voltage on auto with only the multiplier pushed to x21

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 56
Well I have to say the temps look pretty good. So go for it. Just keep an eye on it.

Back