• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock a Amd Fx 4100 Quad Core 3.6 Ghz Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well according to the dimensions 245mm is 10 inches so the Hyper 212Evo I linked before should fit. I would also suggest you get another 80 mm fan for the back of the case as well for added exhaust.

Yes, the recommended cooler will fit easily. The place to start, anyway, even if you can't afford a better motherboard right now. You may be able to get a small overclock on that motherboard. Is the CM Hyper 212 Evo available to you where you live? If not, give us some links to venders you can access and we will make another recommendation.

The Coolermaster 212 evo is probably the best value when both cost and performance are considered of any air cooler on the market. Don't cut corners on your cooling. It is very critical to good overclocking results.

The Coolermaster 212 evo is probably the best value when both cost and performance are considered of any air cooler on the market. Don't cut corners on your cooling. It is very critical to good overclocking results.

+1

Liquid cooling seems to go hand and hand with FX processors. Must say I haven't seen a FX-4100 stable at 5ghz, at least not the 3 I had.....

GLHF!

I think he's hoping to get 4.5 ghz which is certainly attainable on air with a decent motherboard - which is his other deficiency at this point.

I think he's hoping to get 4.5 ghz which is certainly attainable on air with a decent motherboard - which is his other deficiency at this point.

Agreed. 4.2 - 4.4ghz may be a more realistic goal perhaps. Or something that runs good on near stock volts.

Yea the stock procesor come at 3.6 Ghz if i reach 4.4 or 4.5 i will be happy thanks for your advice when i will have money i will buy that cooler 212 evo and the guy wo told me the liquid cooling i dont have that money in my country is very expensive and is not worth to buy only to play Assasins Creed 4 black flag ... because i have low fps drop from 60 drop at 15 or 20 in the gameplay.

Did some research on AC4BF and was knocked backward...

...knocked backwards at the power it really takes to run AC4BF. Not for weak systems at all it seems.

http://www.hardwarepal.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-benchmark-cpu-gpu/2/
Recommended configuration Operating System: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions) Processor: Intel Core i5 2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 GHz or better RAM: 4GB or more Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 or AMD Radeon HD 5850 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0) or better

Read more: Assassin’s Creed 4 : Black Flag Benchmark – CPU and GPU http://www.hardwarepal.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-benchmark-cpu-gpu/
You can 'read more' at that link there from the beginning and see just what sort of actual performance can be expected from a "big rig" running AC4BF.

Surely g00gling Nvidia Gt 630 vs nvidia GeForce GTX 470 will show a huge difference in the performance of those two video cards. Huge difference in performance. Now stop and think what even they will do compared to Benchmark Rigs and Components at the link just below:
http://www.hardwarepal.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-benchmark-cpu-gpu/3/

Now flip on over to page #5 of that article and see the 1920x1080 GPU Benches.
http://www.hardwarepal.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-benchmark-cpu-gpu/5/

I had no idea of the power requirements for playing AC4BF. They are not meager requirements by any means. Let me make that power just to play or power to play "really" well. They are very far apart it seems and this review is only about 6 mos old.

Sure getting a few more beats at the cpu level would be good, but that seems far from being what is really wrong with the OP's ability to 'really' play the game. Play the game without so much frame drop.
Awestruck RGone...ster.

EDIT:
I did some more g00gling and found website GameDebate com and filled out their questionaire about the system in question and asked it to tell me how the parts and pieces stacked up in the game.

Here is the link to this particular systems stack-up.
http://www.game-debate.com/games/in...Edition&ram=4&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

Since I don't trust that link to work for everyone, I captured the screen of results as I veiwed them myself. The Projected FPS are not visisble because I am NOT a premium member. But look at how far the GPU lags behiind in even reaching the 100% playable mark. Even the FX-4100 did not quite reach the 100% mark.

See the image for my edit about the RAM which is not even running in dual channel according to CPUz.

AC4BF GameDebate.jpg

Now after becoming more acclimated to AC4BF, I just don't see how focusing much on the cpu is going to make AC4BF very playable.
END EDIT.

EDIT #2:
When going back over this post I noticed something else as well. Something I cannot change in the spec system since am not a member. Look at the resolution that the results are given for. > 1280 x 1024. So if the OP is using what maybe todays normal monitor resolution of 1920 x 1080, then that showing of results would show his system lacking even more.
END EDIT #2.

Liquid cooling seems to go hand and hand with FX processors.

Yes, but that may only be true with custom water loops. Good air will probably do as much as AIO water but either would limit overclocking of the FX line. Even the best AIO water cooling units give temps that are only 2-4c lower than the best air coolers, at least in the 125-150W range. And then there are issues with water cooling that may cancel that small dif out such as noise levels and pump failure. Check this out: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2752&page=4

IMO, Frostytech is the best source for getting accurate information on cooler comparisons and they have a pretty big data base. Their testing is done synthetically so a lot of the test variables are eliminated. Their numbers match very closely to what I'm seeing with my Noctua D14 vs. the several AIO water cooling units I have tested lately that are on their list. Since my Nepton 240L pump started emitting a very noticeable high pitched squeal after less than two weeks of use I have (temporarily, at least) gone back to my Noctua and find I really like it. So much quieter.

I think there is this misconception out there that water cooling will necessarily be better than air cooling but the data just doesn't bear that out.

Edited 6/24/14 20:18.

Last edited:
Yes, but that may only be true with custom water loops. Even the best AIO water cooling units give temps that are only 2-4c lower than the best air coolers, at least in the 125-150W range. And then there are issues with water cooling that may cancel that small dif out such as noise levels and pump failure. Check this out: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2752&page=4

IMO, Frostytech is the best source for getting accurate information on cooler comparisons and they have a pretty big data base. Their testing is done synthetically so a lot of the test variables are eliminated. Their numbers match very closely to what I'm seeing with my Noctua D14 vs. the several AIO water cooling units I have tested lately that are on their list. Since my Nepton 240L pump started emitting a very noticeable high pitched squeal after less than two weeks of use I have (temporarily, at least) gone back to my Noctua and find I really like it. So much quieter.

My custom liquid loop doesn't seem to be on the frosty site. :shrug:

Have never purchased an AIO for personal use.

Would never suggest air cooling or AIO for an overclocker. At least I try not too. But alas, people's budgets may not be as large as mine to run more than just one radiator.......

I think there is this misconception out their that water cooling will necessarily be better than air cooling but the data just doesn't bear that out.

Gladly put my custom liquid loops against air cooling with the same processor any day. And my custom water loop will absolutely annihilate air coolers.

My custom liquid loop doesn't seem to be on the frosty site. :shrug:

Did you expect it to be? Let's compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges. Custom loops are not on the OP's radar as yet.

Would never suggest air cooling or AIO for an overclocker. At least I try not too. But alas, people's budgets may not be as large as mine to run more than just one radiator.......

Why not? Respectable overclocking can still be done with either good retail air coolers or good retail water cooler AIO kits. Of course, you can't push the OC as far as you could with a custom loop. Nobody is suggesting you can here in this thread.

Gladly put my custom liquid loops against air cooling with the same processor any day. And my custom water loop will absolutely annihilate air coolers.

Undoubtedly. But were we talking about custom loops in the thread or are you just wanting to brag?

Yes I expect all liquid cooling to be taken into consideration for any overclocker. Think outside your little box for a minute.

I don't suggest AIO because of people like you saying it's not really better than air cooling

And yes I have bragging rights. So what can you do about that? whine me to death bout' it?

My little box? Not sure what you refer to. I just try not to jump out of the box that seems to be defined by the context of the thread and what the OP is giving us to work with. I have nothing against custom water loops. I recognize they offer superior cooling. If they weren't so expensive I probably would have one myself and the OP might go for one as well.

My little box? Not sure what you refer to. I just try not to jump out of the box that seems to be defined by the context of the thread and what the OP is giving us to work with. I have nothing against custom water loops. I recognize they offer superior cooling. If they weren't so expensive I probably would have one myself and the OP might go for one as well.

Right.

A lot of my water loop is used HW and nothing special. Thermaltake bigwater block modded to my liking. pump res, nothing special also thermaltake bigwater. years old. dual rads 120.2's used from forums just like this one. Fans, same thing hand me downs from my brother.... so free there. But I think the thermal paste makes a big impact too, using Antec Formula 6. Tubing from a local hw store. Home made mix of coolants 50% alcohol...... And a Big F'ing Blower fan pushing about 1500CFMs at any point I decide I need to cool the entire PC with god like speeding winds... and I got an window AC unit sitting right behind that.....

But, yea. Not expensive, the cooling apparatus is placed just so. It's not how much moneys you throw at your stuff Mr. Trent, it's how you apply your own ideas into your cooling.

About that paste though..... good stuff. I recommend it.:thup:

EDIT: The red on the blower isn't cat blood. It's paint.

EDIT #2: Here's the water block. I modded it years ago. More than one of these actually. Used to look like the acrylic one depicted. I also modded the interior of that block. Scuffing it to make additional micro surface area to dissipate heat into the water. Works like a charm.

i7 3770K under that block. Ran it 3.9ghz 1.515v at 3.9ghz. Temps, under 80c. Hit 82c, gets unstable. Was just starting to tear this down before posting here this evening.....

EDIT #3: Yea look at that bracket. Holes wore in at mounting holes - s939, sAM2 and s775, s1155 with s775 mounting holes. Now that's good use huh?

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_20140624_231142[1].jpg
    IMG_20140624_231142[1].jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20140624_231629[1].jpg
    IMG_20140624_231629[1].jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 119
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
S_B said:
Holes wore in at mounting holes.

I hear that man. I had to put stiffeners with matching holes drilled to take up the slack on my D-Tek block, I had it off and on so much over the last 7 years.
RGone...

Hey, shrimpy, thanks for sharing the pics! I really appreciate folks that jury rig and modify stuff rather than just buy it all. Looks kind of ghetto beautiful!

Sorry for getting a little chippy, man. I just got a little frustrated because I felt you were interjecting your own stuff and it wasn't being helpful to the OP who is in an entirely different place in his experience level, his economics and is geography.

Back