• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock fx 8350 using asus sabertooth r2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In exact detail...

...Kevin82 wrote > The power saving settings I changed are "epu power saving mode" enabled, c1e enabled,core c6 enabled, apm master mode enabled...

Now there might be more than one way to reach a result. Of that am not fully sure. Take a CHV-z which is the equivalent of a Saberkitty R2.0 and with the last bios. I have:
"epu power saving mode" >> Disabled. That is some green shett managed by the board or additional proprietary software.

c1e enabled, >> I have used both enabled and disabled and both will work if you set windows power management to "Balanced"

c6 enabled, >> I have this disabled as it is for use with the TurboCore to allow the internal workings of the cpu to on their own decision to up the speed of 1/2 the cpu cores if certain parameters are met. The cpu does this on its' own with TurboCore and C6.

apm master mode enabled... >> I have disabled since I don't want cpu to throttle under heavy loading. HERE there is some discussion about having it enabled and HPC enabled which is HighPerformanceComputing. It is said that HPC must have APM Master enabled in order for HPC to function, BUT I do not find it so on my CHV z or non-z.

Then I do the math to determine an approximation of the + voltage to set in the offset Vcore slot. I so set.

Then I do the math to determine an approximation of the + voltage to set in the offset voltage to the CPU_NB. I so set.

RIGHT HERE is where I go and adjust my CPU_LLC State to High and not Ultra-High because I find now with the use of Offset Vcore, I can on "mY" shett drop down a notch on CPU_LLC. I also set CPU_NB to High. Hale yes, YMMV.

Then I go into Win 7 Power Management section and set to "Balanced". Then I got into the "balanced" > Advanced Settings > Down to Processor Power Management and click on the + sign there. It will expand to display >
+ Minimum Processor State and I set to 15% and NoT 5%. I have my reasons for this change as I don't wish the jump to WFO to be so great.

+ System Cooling Policy I set to Active.

+ Maximum Processor State I set to 100% and save and close and often I REboot here to ensure that windows is not dorking with me and does make permanent settings. After REboot I come back to Windows Power management and Double-check my settings as STILL there.

What this gives me is an IDLE cpu speed of ~1640Mhz (0.996Vcore) and not 1400Mhz and over time I have found this lesser jump to WFO is beneficial to "mE". YMMV. And then when I do something that needs some OOmph in the power department > My cpu jumps to its' max set cpu speed of 4.6Ghz (1.44Vcore) and all 8 cores humping to please.

Setup this way the system passes 2 to 3 hours of P95 Blend mode at 4.6Ghz with nothing but air-cooling. The computer is 'easily' put into SLEEP mode manually since I choose when to SLEEP and wake at the touch of the space-bar on my Usb Keyboard.

Now there maybe other settings that will produce a slowing of cpu speed along with a lowering of Vcore when in the lesser cpu speed state. I used to use 'another' setup that would indeed slow the cpu speed but n0t lower the Vcore when in the lesser speed mode. So I know there are the possibilities of alternate settings that might be used with Offset VCore type settings to reduce the strain on the electric bill and reduce heat when just idling. THAT said, I wrote out the 'exact' manner in which I use Offest Vcore and the results I get. Other methods and setting may be out there, but I have not seen them in full notation mode.
RGone...ster.

Ok I believe I'm all done now,besides any tweeks I can now do on my own with confidence :) I wanna thank everyone who helped me through this and for being so patient with me lol you guys are true gentlemen and I hope you all have a merry Christmas and get everything you have asked for :)

Back