• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a pentium II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

densant

hey, i found this old computer which has a pentium II, which i want to overclock , but i can't find cpu settings in the BIOS.

Sweet! Old school overclocking! Subscribed.

You might want to post some details, like the motherboard, exact CPU, and such specs so someone with knowledge with the setup can help you. :welcome:

E

Last edited:
What kind of computer is it? One you built or is it OEM?

At that time, overclocking was still in it's infancy and manufacturer's weren't really keen on providing that ability. If it's an OEM-built (Compaq, IBM, etc.) then the motherboard probably won't have any options that will allow overclocking. If, however, it is a custom built system, it might depending on the motherboard. Otherwise, you might have to change some jumpers and/or do some modding to overclock.

You MIGHT be able to get one of those programs that overclocks through windows to work - could be worth a shot.

SDRAM 320 Mbytes
Intel Pentium II
350.8 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 3.5 x 100.2 MHz
Northbridge Intel i440BX/ZX rev. B1
Southbridge Intel 82371EB/MB (PIIX4E/M) rev. 02

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Name HP Vectra
System S/N US90201143
Mainboard Vendor FIRST INTERNATIONAL COMPUTER
Mainboard Model 440BX
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Version HT.01.06
BIOS Date 12/10/98

It's an HP, and probably doesn't have bios OC'ing options. Look on the Mobo for jumpers to control the ratio or bus speeds....it's your only option.

Try SoftFSB. You'll prolly need to take a look at the board to find what model clock chip it has, but if you can get anything extra out of that board, that's the way to do it.

The 440BX officially only supported 100mhz anyway, and a lot of the OEM boards used clock chips that only supported 66 and 100 buses, but occasionally you'll find one that has hidden options for 112 or 124mhz. Very rarely will you see an OEM BX board that'll do 133.

Since its a 440BX you could probably find a cadillac PII such as a 450 MHz model for pennies these days. If it'll support PIIIs then that would be even better, but you'll have to try it out to see. I think the 440BX can support up to a Tualatin with a slotket adaptor, but I'm not exactly certain about that being its an OEM board.

I have a dozen or more PII's laying around. Maybe even a P3. That would be a good smooth wall machine or e3ven a folding rig. I dont think the HP allowed overclocking BUT as said before if the board has jumpers you might be able to tinker and get a little out of it.

Z

A lot of those earlier HP i440BX machines had Asus boards (P2B & P3B series). Can you take a picture of the motherboard?

Maybe a stupid question, but...why?

I just gave away a 6 pack of P2 and P3 machines on craigslist today...

After deeming them basically useless.

IMHO an i440BX board with a passively cooled Tualatin based Celeron makes a great internet/office machine, or a perfect low power file/ftp server.

Back