• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Phenom, II 965 BE, How far can I go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your voltage is getting to the point where I start to get uncomfortable for 24/7 use, even though your temps are acceptable. A few months down the line you may find the system becomes less stable.

I am going to try and get 4.4 stable for 2 hours prime, then I am going to try 4.5 or higher just to do some benches. I have found this chip does not like 4.0GHz (performance was not good), but great at 4.2, so I will probably keep it there when I need the power. Anything higher is just to see if it will. I will also give it a good 8 hours on prime at 4.3 to remove all doubt. 3 1/2 hours is good but I would be happier with a full 8. I just couldn't stay awake and don't feel right running it unattended.

I want to thank you all for your help. A month ago I didn't have a clue about OC'ing. I was fortunate to win the silicone lottery and get a great chip and also through nothing but dumb luck pick a good board for it. It could have easily been the other way and I would have gotten frustrated and quit. Now I am hooked and have a M5A99 EVO and FX 6300 in my shopping cart on Amazon :)

M5A99 EVO = SCRATCH that and get a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and you will be oh so much better off and happy in the long run.

As you said you got the silicon lottery winner on the cpu you have and thru dumb luck picked a good mobo. Now do not shoot yourself in the foot before starting the race with FX and go for a board that has NO chance of looking like a lottery winner with the FX-6300. Get Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 not some mid-level mobo that is going to limit you from the get go in overclocking.
RGone...ster.

M5A99 EVO = SCRATCH that and get a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and you will be oh so much better off and happy in the long run.

As you said you got the silicon lottery winner on the cpu you have and thru dumb luck picked a good mobo. Now do not shoot yourself in the foot before starting the race with FX and go for a board that has NO chance of looking like a lottery winner with the FX-6300. Get Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 not some mid-level mobo that is going to limit you from the get go in overclocking.
RGone...ster.

I totally agree with RGone, you do not seems to be satisfied with just an everyday 24/7 OC. These Fx processors with the right equipment and cooling can be hella fun to push the pee out of. I don't feel you'll be satisfied with the limitations of the Evo, yes it may push the 6300 over 5.0 but then again it may not. The sabertooth is a damn good board. It seems to be equal to the CHV in most respects without the bells and whistles. A wise man once told me buy right the first time. I have the Evo it's a great board but it may not have the guts to push the 6300 as far as you would like.

OK. I will do the sabertooth then. I am guessing I will be able to run an 8350 on it as well? I want to play with one of those too. The 6300 just seems like an awesome CPU for the money right now.

Now I need to come up with an excuse for the Wife of why we need a 7th computer in the house :) Any ideas ??

4.4Ghz is going to be a little harder than a multi change and some vcore. Keep getting BSOD codes of 124 twice and now a 1e. All point to vcore. I am going to try and hit it from another direction. This chip has never liked a 20x multi.

It is your parts and somebody, maybe it was you earlier, said their cpu did not like the 20x multiplier. That is why overclocking is such trial and error and what works is really what works at your end.
RGone...ster.

Here is is at 4.38Ghz stable on Prime95 (and Netflix) for 2 hours. Temps are good. This chip ain't done yet.

Attachments

• 438 CPUZ.JPG
    438 CPUZ.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 438 CPUZ 2.JPG
    438 CPUZ 2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 438 HWM.JPG
    438 HWM.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 32
  • 438 Prime.JPG
    438 Prime.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 32
It is your parts and somebody, maybe it was you earlier, said their cpu did not like the 20x multiplier. That is why overclocking is such trial and error and what works is really what works at your end.
RGone...ster.

It was me. I ran into trouble with a 20 multi a few hindered Mhz back. That is why I like doing this. You have to think about it and get a feel for the processor. I can see why this gets to be addicting. I talked to the guy I got this processor from. I am going to get another 965. I just want to see how different 2 of the same chips can be.

I just want to see how different 2 of the same chips can be. = Probably day and night. There are very few that do over 4.2Ghz. Good luck with your 2nd cpu dice roll. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Not much risk. I have another rig with a 910 in it. A 965 would make for a nice upgrade. I had this 965 in it before. I can tell the difference with the 910 back in it. Then I can try the 910 with the locked multi just to see.

Not much risk. I have another rig with a 910 in it. A 965 would make for a nice upgrade. I had this 965 in it before. I can tell the difference with the 910 back in it. Then I can try the 910 with the locked multi just to see.

Hey man I know now that your are just playing. You have the overclocking idea in mind and not some text or video that you have viewed. So have fun and it is cheaper to play with a good used 965BE than to wrestle with an FX HOT thing. Hehehe. Have some more fun man.
RGone...ster. :)

Hey poco, great to see the phII scaling past 4.2ghz.
I have noticed something though which could change things either for the better or worse.
I've noticed that you are running your memory in single channel mode,
You will be experiencing reduced bandwidth if you were to do some aida64 memory bandwidth tests. More importantly though the single channel memory mode could be the reason why your cpu clock is so high along with your imc, which is stable at the timings and speed you are running it at, although that could be due to the ram modules you are using too.

It maybe that running in dual channel mode will reduce your stability of your cpu speed, it may help it. But if you can would you be able to bench your aida 64 read, write, copy results between single mode, and dual channel mode.

Hey poco, great to see the phII scaling past 4.2ghz.
I have noticed something though which could change things either for the better or worse.
I've noticed that you are running your memory in single channel mode,
You will be experiencing reduced bandwidth if you were to do some aida64 memory bandwidth tests. More importantly though the single channel memory mode could be the reason why your cpu clock is so high along with your imc, which is stable at the timings and speed you are running it at, although that could be due to the ram modules you are using too.

It maybe that running in dual channel mode will reduce your stability of your cpu speed, it may help it. But if you can would you be able to bench your aida 64 read, write, copy results between single mode, and dual channel mode.
Nice catch! :thup:

I never set anything on the memory. That is just how the BIOS set it. I may be wrong, but isn't duel channel used with 4 sticks of memory? I only have 2. Could I have then installed wrong? Both on the same channel? I put them in the first 2 slots next to the CPU. One blue and one black slot. I know when I put it together I wasn't sure on that.

Last edited:
Back