• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Phenom, II 965 BE, How far can I go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks RGone. The problem is now I am hooked. I am actually going to pull the 910 processor out of another computer I have and see what I can get it to do. With a locked multi it will be a whole new ball game. I don't expect much, but it will give me somthing to do once I hit the wall on this one and until I get the board for the FX6300.

Well FSB clocking is fun. Lower HT link speed, CPU_NB speed and ram speed some before starting the climb and check as you go upwards...to see those three have not gotten way out of check and all should be funskies for sure.
RGone...ster.

I hit the wall. I tried raising the multi by .5 to the dreaded 20, BSOD 3b on startup (need more vcore) So I dropped the multi back to 19.5 and raised the bus by 2. Started fine at 4.44Ghz. Crashed when I started running Cinebench. Code 124 (more vcore) I am just not willing to put more voltage to this chip. 1.525 is enough. I could maybe get it to run Cinebanch at 1.55, but I could smoke a great chip in the process. Once I get the FX rig going I may come back to it and roll the dice.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be back posting about the 910 and the 6300.

Still messing with this thing. I have been running Cinebanch 11.5 tests. I get 3.72 at stock speeds. The best I have gotten is 5.03 at 4.45Ghz. A lower score than I should have at that speed, but I have some more tweaking to do. I think I need to work on the Ram. I did get the timings to 7, 8, 8, 24, but that was at in the 750mhz range. It made no difference. This will take some time :)

Kudos for getting such an amazing chip and leet OC out of it!

If you can run the RAM @1600MHz 8-8-8 you'll hit the jackpot.
Also, since you have a good cooler and you are going for such high CPU clocks, why you don't push your CPU-NB higher as well, just a thought.

Because much of my clock rate is due to the bus speed, I can't get 1600 on the ram. I think my choices are 1500 somthing and the next step is over 1800. I still have a lot of playing to do. I was only going for the high CPU clock so now I will need to change everything to try for higher bench scores.

It is strange, if I ease into this chip with higher bus speeds it will pass benches, of I go up 1mhz at a time on the bus. If I try to jump 3 or 4 it will crash. I have tried to bench it at 4.45 before and crashed right away, but this time I slowly worked up to it and it did it. Strange. Also once it does it once I can go back to it any time.

I will try the CPUNB too. I am not even close to being done trying things with this. The only thing I am wary of is hitting it with much more corev. I am sure I will try 1.55v once. I just realized I had load line or whatever on so I know why it hits higher v than I have set. I will turn that off and push a little higher.

If you shut the LLC off you'll need to add voltage to compensate or it'll be unstable. What I mean is if you have 1.5v set in bios and the LLC kicks it up to 1.525 under load, you'll need to set the voltage to 1.525v in the bios with the LLC turned down. Follow me. A small amount of voltage fluctuation isn't necessarily a bad thing. You may just want to leave it where it is.

I follow. I would just like to know what the voltage is going to be. I set it in bios, and it seems to be wherever it wants with LLC on. Lower than I set it at idle and higher under load. I have cool and quiet turned off. I just want to shut it off for benching and trying to get some more out of it. I want to set it and know that is what it will be. If I set it to 1.55 now it would be well over that under load.

Do you have any of the other green stuff on?? EPU, APM, C1E, C6 ?? Does your LLC have different levels or just on, off or auto?

No green stuff on. I am not sure on the LLC settings. I will look when I get home.

Just bought another SSD. Samsung EVO 120GB. I am going to run a stripped down W7 and just my benching programs on it. Maybe that will help my scores a little ??

Last edited:
I follow. I would just like to know what the voltage is going to be. I set it in bios, and it seems to be wherever it wants with LLC on. Lower than I set it at idle and higher under load. I have cool and quiet turned off. I just want to shut it off for benching and trying to get some more out of it. I want to set it and know that is what it will be. If I set it to 1.55 now it would be well over that under load.

Okay a little truth in advertising:
There was NO spec for Cpu LLC until the FX processors came out.

If you look in the early bios of many mobos there was a statment in the right pane in bios menu that actually said to Disable LLC when not using an FX type processor.

What happens is that another rather/fairly sophistocated circuit must monitor the real time voltage to the cpu and sense load and have a rather slick VRM circuit to have a well working CPU_LLC that neither overshoots too much nor runs Cpu Vcore too low when just idling. The "lesser" boards do not have the oomph in parts and pieces and price to handle this as well as my CHV board does. What I choose in bios is within 0.0125 fo what I set or just about one hundredth of a volt Vcore. Not much swing.
RGone..ster.

OK. I am doing some more playing. This chip did not like a multi above 20, but that was for stress testing on prime95. Benching is a whole different thing. So I took my 4.2Ghz profile, upped the CORV and CPUNB voltage, upped the CPUNB freq and memory to above 1700, dropped the timings to 8,9,9 and wala, it worked. I tried lower timings but it crashed on start up, so I bumped the multi up to 20.5. Here are the results. My best test yet....

Attachments

• Cine 443.JPG
    Cine 443.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 443 CPUZ 1.JPG
    443 CPUZ 1.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 443 CPUZ 2.JPG
    443 CPUZ 2.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Okay a little truth in advertising:
There was NO spec for Cpu LLC until the FX processors came out.

If you look in the early bios of many mobos there was a statment in the right pane in bios menu that actually said to Disable LLC when not using an FX type processor.

What happens is that another rather/fairly sophistocated circuit must monitor the real time voltage to the cpu and sense load and have a rather slick VRM circuit to have a well working CPU_LLC that neither overshoots too much nor runs Cpu Vcore too low when just idling. The "lesser" boards do not have the oomph in parts and pieces and price to handle this as well as my CHV board does. What I choose in bios is within 0.0125 fo what I set or just about one hundredth of a volt Vcore. Not much swing.
RGone..ster.

I don't know what it is called, but all I know is my corV raises when it is under a load and drops when at idle. That is with all the green crap turned off. It has a setting in the BIOS called load line calibration. It can be auto, enable, or disable. I have it at auto. I am guessing that is LLC. Not sure how well it works on my board. I set it at 1.535 and it ran the voltage up to 1.548 under load. It also has it for the CPUNB.

Last edited:
Back