• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Athlon II x250 with Asus M5A78L-M LX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If that CPU is supported for that motherboard that would be a good way to go but check the CPU support list on Asus' website first. I would not count on overclocking it but if it's on the CPU support list it should be fine at stock speeds and voltages. Before you do that, however, I would upgrade the PSU.

Yep, that CPU does support my motherboard. However, do you think I should upgrade the CPU or GPU first? (Buying the PSU first obv.)

I would go for the video card first. The 6450 you now are using is a very low end card. When shopping for an AMD/ATI video card the second digit in the model number is the most important. Higher is better. Next most important is the third digit. Higher is better. Do some research about video card power consumption as if you get a high end card you need to make sure you get a high enough wattage PSU to cover it. A high end video card will pull more juice than a high end CPU. You should be looking at a PSU in the 550 watt range. Get one made by Antec, Corsair or Seasonic. Don't get a cheap, off brand one. They exaggerate the wattage rating significantly by giving a peak power rating rather than a continuous power rating. Not to mention they are unreliable and may die on you and take other stuff with it.

Thanks! Also, this is the current supply...I'm assuming this is horrible right?

ZM6kC.png

Does it say Total O/P 260W WTF?

I'm scared to turn on my PC now! :p

Ha, ha!

Seriously, what we see happen so very often on this forum is that overclocking is an afterthought. The bug hits after people they have already purchased a system composed of low end components that are just fine at stock speeds and voltages. Then the dude finds out that you can overclock stuff and make it go faster. "I want to do that too," he says to himself! First thing he does is go out and buy a big honking CPU that was on sale, one that sucks so much juice the motherboard can barely handle it at stock speeds and voltages. And of course, he wants to get it to 4.3 ghz with the stock cooler because he read other guys got it going that fast. When he becomes frustrated with that, he turns to buying a big honking power sucking GPU 'cause somewhere he read that the CPU doesn't matter much anyway when you're gaming. But he has this no-name 400 watt PSU that came with the cheapo case that has no ventilator fans. And he may get desperate and start thinking magically that a better CPU cooler will fix everything so he buys a honking tall tower style air cooler that is taller than his case is wide so he saws the top of it off with a hacksaw which vacates all the coolant from the heat pipes. Then he finally throws up his hands in despair and says, I just don't understand why this overclocking gig isn't working for me!

My point is, a good overclocking experience starts with good planning and wise purchases from the ground up. IMO the first two purchases ought to be a spacious case with lots of fans and a solid PSU. The next purchase ought to be a great CPU cooler. Next should be a quality motherboard with good strong power phase components and good heat sinks on the chipset, and the mosfets. The last two things I would purchase are what most people go for first, the CPU and the GPU. With this approach a person won't be making the mistake of building a skyscraper on top of a chicken coup foundation.

Ha, ha!

Seriously, what we see happen so very often on this forum is that overclocking is an afterthought. The bug hits after people they have already purchased a system composed of low end components that are just fine at stock speeds and voltages. Then the dude finds out that you can overclock stuff and make it go faster. "I want to do that too," he says to himself! First thing he does is go out and buy a big honking CPU that was on sale, one that sucks so much juice the motherboard can barely handle it at stock speeds and voltages. And of course, he wants to get it to 4.3 ghz with the stock cooler because he read other guys got it going that fast. When he becomes frustrated with that, he turns to buying a big honking power sucking GPU 'cause somewhere he read that the CPU doesn't matter much anyway when you're gaming. But he has this no-name 400 watt PSU that came with the cheapo case that has no ventilator fans. And he may get desperate and start thinking magically that a better CPU cooler will fix everything so he buys a honking tall tower style air cooler that is taller than his case is wide so he saws the top of it off with a hacksaw which vacates all the coolant from the heat pipes. Then he finally throws up his hands in despair and says, I just don't understand why this overclocking gig isn't working for me!

My point is, a good overclocking experience starts with good planning and wise purchases from the ground up. IMO the first two purchases ought to be a spacious case with lots of fans and a solid PSU. The next purchase ought to be a great CPU cooler. Next should be a quality motherboard with good strong power phase components and good heat sinks on the chipset, and the mosfets. The last two things I would purchase are what most people go for first, the CPU and the GPU. With this approach a person won't be making the mistake of building a skyscraper on top of a chicken coup foundation.

:rofl:

Yeah, during christmas I think i'll get the Zalman Z9 Plus Computer Case and a AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 :bump:

^+1 WHS^

Ha, ha!

"trents" that is just about the most accurate accounting of what we face day in and day out when the user makes his first post. I am a noob and I want to overclock. Then is another post that reveals the parts and pieces and then a little overclocking and then 90% of the time begins the buying of parts to replace the parts bought at first.

I had already read a lot of literature on overclocking before I put my first rig together about 15 years ago. I then read about what was considered the boss board and chipset of that era. Then I went into forum where the guys pushed the crap out of their boards. I looked in their signatures at the parts and pieces they ran and looked at how their boards hauled booty or did not. Then I copied their parts and pieces and I have never looked back. U want to run with the big-dogs you are going require equipment like the big-dogs.

RGone...ster. :chair:

You really don't want that >> AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 >> to try and overclock on this >> Asus M5A78L-M LX >> that is going to be like a match made in h*ll and not heaven for overclocking.

That is a hugely better choice. 8+2 power phase as opposed to 3+1 or 4+1.

Yeah, soon this thing will be out of this case and be a beast :p

Also, would the chipset voltage and memory voltage effect anything? Sorry if this is a dumb speculation

Yeah, soon this thing will be out of this case and be a beast :p

Also, would the chipset voltage and memory voltage effect anything? Sorry if this is a dumb speculation

WE don't like to call questions dumb. Some seem stange though. We are talking (writing) about a good power supply. Not sure what that has to do with chipset and memory voltage. A good power supply has good accurate voltages without any unnecessary ripple on the rails. Of course that good type of power supply will make all other voltages 'better' within the constraints of the motherboard voltage regulators.

WE don't like to call questions dumb. Some seem stange though. We are talking (writing) about a good power supply. Not sure what that has to do with chipset and memory voltage. A good power supply has good accurate voltages without any unnecessary ripple on the rails. Of course that good type of power supply will make all other voltages 'better' within the constraints of the motherboard voltage regulators.

Sorry, I mean't that will upping the chipset voltage or the memory voltage effect the overclocking? Since they're some options we didn't touch when trying to overclock this :confused:

Sorry, I mean't that will upping the chipset voltage or the memory voltage effect the overclocking? Since they're some options we didn't touch when trying to overclock this :confused:

In general, I don't up my chipset voltage. I do usually give memory that is rated at 1.5Volts a slight bump to 1.525 or 1.55 for added stability when overclocking. CPU/NB generally gets a slight bump to 1.225V from what is normally about 1.175V.

Has anyone noticed he is running 1.5v for his vcore? that is likely why he has high temps at stock.

Back