• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. And you can check your idle voltage and load voltage with cpu-z. You can download it free http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

You will also need a program to test stability. Prime95 can be downloaded for free as well
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Okay I downloaded CPU-Z + Prim95
idle voltage i'm assuming is the core voltage on CPU-Z without anything running? If so, it's 1.304 V ( Sometimes ranges to 1.312 V or 1.296 V )

I just changed multiplier to x20
should I now run Prime95 for 3-4 hours then give you guys the results?

Last edited:
Yes. Let us know what the load voltage is while running prime 95

okay I don't know if i'm running Prime95 correctly but I just followed the readme for automatic method.
It has been running for 30 minutes so far, all my CPU is running at 100%

CPU-Z Core Voltage: 1.272 V

Usually, we run the "blend" test as it's the most balanced and stresses both the CPU and the ram.

Monkey, be sure to watch temps on your 4100.

When watching them, if the Core temp is below 55C, ignore it and instead watch the CPU (t-case) temp. You want to keep it as cool as possible. If Core temps, or T-Case hit 70C shut-er down.

Usually, we run the "blend" test as it's the most balanced and stresses both the CPU and the ram.

Okay i'll stop my test and run it as blend for another 4 hours then get back to you guys with the results if any errors

Monkey, be sure to watch temps on your 4100.

When watching them, if the Core temp is below 55C, ignore it and instead watch the CPU (t-case) temp. You want to keep it as cool as possible. If Core temps, or T-Case hit 70C shut-er down.

What do you use to see the temps? SpeedFan?
Mine reads a constant 54-55c CPU
I don't see Core Temp though but every reading is 45c or lower

Now, up the cpu multiplier to 21 and re run the test. You may not have to adjust the cpu voltage, that will depend on your chip. But I would re run the test only changing your cpu multiplier for now to 21. Again run for at leat 3-4 hours. If it passes, let us know. If it comes up with an error on any of the cores, go back into bios and leave the cpu multiplier at 21 and change the cpu voltage. I would start by bumping the voltage up 1-2 settings. Re run the test. If you get an error again, try raising the voltage one more notch and re run test. So on and so forth. Let us know if you need any help along the way.

Once we find you a good overclock, we can fine tune your settings from there on out to give you a better understanding on how to OC and what settings will do what and how fine tuning your settings give you a better performance increase.

Okay I up'd the CPU to 21
Ran Prime95 and took a quick nap and when I came back I got this BSOD

So I went and up'd my CPU voltage by 1 and ran test again.
Surfed internet while I ran prime95, 2 hours in and I got this error

What should I do now?
Currently i'm going to up CPU voltage by 1 and run prime95 while I wait for an answer

The BSOD error was (increase vcore AKA cpu voltage) http://www.overclock.net/a/common-bsod-error-code-list-for-overclocking

After the worker stopped about 2 hours into the test, if you up the voltage one more notch you should be fine on the next re-test. But just run the test anyway to be sure.
Let me know what the voltage is and what your temps are under load during prime.

Once you get it 3-4 hours in with no errors. Try 22x. But when you do 22x go ahead and bump the cpu voltage up 1-2 notches just to save yourself some time testing. Most likely after 21x you will have to increase the voltage with any cpu speed increase.

What are your temperatures?

Increasing vcore usually doesn't help with ILLEGAL SUMOUT when you have high temperatures, chip bugs out due to heat. Otherwise, take note that that is your weakest core (followed by core 4).

If temps are ok, increase vcore.

The BSOD error was (increase vcore AKA cpu voltage) http://www.overclock.net/a/common-bsod-error-code-list-for-overclocking

After the worker stopped about 2 hours into the test, if you up the voltage one more notch you should be fine on the next re-test. But just run the test anyway to be sure.
Let me know what the voltage is and what your temps are under load during prime.

Once you get it 3-4 hours in with no errors. Try 22x. But when you do 22x go ahead and bump the cpu voltage up 1-2 notches just to save yourself some time testing. Most likely after 21x you will have to increase the voltage with any cpu speed increase.

Alright, i'm currently running it so far 1 hour
here are the temps

Once this is done testing if no errors, i'll go on with 22x

Okay, 22x might be your limit with the cooling you have. But we will see when you get to that point.

You dont want your cpu temp to go over 70C for 24/7 use. Some people might recommend not going over 70C while trying to OC for stability.

I have taken my core temps to 70C (cpu temp would be roughly 15C higher so 85C) while running prime for stability but not more than 4 hours.

This part is totally up to you depending on how high of an OC you want. Im pretty sure at 4.4ghz (22x) you will be cutting it close to 70C. So if you want to go higher, thats your choice and your choice alone.

Okay, 22x might be your limit with the cooling you have. But we will see when you get to that point.

You dont want your cpu temp to go over 70C for 24/7 use. Some people might recommend not going over 70C while trying to OC for stability.

I have taken my core temps to 70C (cpu temp would be roughly 15C higher so 85C) while running prime for stability but not more than 4 hours.

This part is totally up to you depending on how high of an OC you want. Im pretty sure at 4.4ghz (22x) you will be cutting it close to 70C. So if you want to go higher, thats your choice and your choice alone.

Okay i'll just stay @ 22x then
once this testing is done i'll up to 22x and move CPU volt 2 settings

Ok, keep in mind you might have to up it more than 2 but I would start with 2.

kk, hope this all goes well

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it especially you bburrill2012
:)

Last edited:
Back