• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my BH-5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, so im really looking for some advice on what I should do/how I should go about doing this. I have some Mushkin Level 2 BH-5 Black RAM, currently at 3.2V. On the stock settings it was given by my mobo, a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D, it runs at 2-3-2-6. However, even on those settings, I can't go up from 200HTT to 240HTT on a 1:1 divider. Does anybody have any clue on if im doing something wrong, or something I need to change, or whatnot?

Middo,

Look at the thread I sent via pm. Start off with those settings and work you way through it as I suggested in the pm. :)

Is this the PC3200 or the PC3500 Lvl II Blk?

I'm not sure if you are referring to the 4V jumper, if so, then no, I have not moved it. If not, then im not sure what you refer to, but probably not, cause I have not moved many jumpers around.

Exactly the 4V jumper.

That may be the problem why your modules doesn't like to go up to 240. The 3,3V rail is a bit problematic if you choose 3,2V setting from bios BIOS. It reacts very sensitively to possible voltage drops in your 3,3V rail, which usually causes instability.

I have been very leery of using the 4v jumper, because on one instance that I did switch it, even staying at the exact same settings I used prior, not even adjusting the voltage any, my system was no longer stable. Plus, as Super Nade has told me, I need to have something there to actively blow air on both the RAM and the 4V jumper. Right now, I dont. I'm trying to keep as many fans out of my system as possible.

Middo,

I forgot to mention that you should NEVER use the 4V Jumper if you intend to keep VDRAM < 3.3V. That is a sure way to kill your RAM and possibly the PSU. Even without using the 4V jumper, you will need active cooling, as BH5 is rated at 2.7~2.8 V. Why are you shirking away from adding a couple of fans? :)

Because I want a very silent system. I am already having to eat my words with this watercooling system, because its louder then my previous air only system. Its the chipset fan on the DFI (which I ordered one to replace it), and the GPU fan. Other then that, I have 3 120MM fans in there, but they are all at the top. Plus I have to figure out how I would actually go about positioning said fans, with my WC system in there as well.

Can't have your cake and eat it too :shrug:
Unless ofcourse, you devise a cool new RAM water block (that would be excellent actually!). If you are pumping voltage into BH5, you have to keep it cool. If you use the 4V jumper, you have to keep the 4V MOSFET cool. Unfortunately, there is no way around it. Positioning fans is easy. Check the pic. Totally ghetto (used rubberbands) but it works :D

Zoomed in for your viewing pleasure :D

picture0015xa.jpg

Not attached. Just placed on the CPU HS. I could attach them via zip ties to the end of the Mobo tray and the CPU HS heatpipe, but its just too much work since I swap my RAM almost ecery other day. :)

Midnight Dream said:
lol, I dont have an HSF or HS Heatpipe to rest it on. Im just running a waterblock, and its too far down to be able to rest it on. hmmmmmm

Get on of these:

LINKEY

These are awesome. I have one cooling my BH-5. Also it's just big enough to cool the 4V jumper/MOSFET.

Back