• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking problem on an Asus M5a97 & FX-6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alazeer

First of all let me tell you I virtually have NO clue when it comes to overclocking:

My New PC is this:
Asus M5A97 Mobo
AMD FX-6100 CPU
Corsair TX-650 PSU
XFX Double D 2GB HD7850 Graphics Card
Kingston 128 GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
8GB Gskill DDR3 1600 Ram
V7 24\" HD Monitor
Lite on Cd/DVD
Asus CD/DVD Writer
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Win 7 Pro 64bit

So I built this PC a little over 1 week ago and it runs great, in stock configuration, but when I set it to turbo in the bios with the low fan setting set to 200RPM and cool & quiet turned off the thing crashes with e even 41, kernel-power error. Same thing if I use the asus AI suite 1.02.03.

When i say it crashes, it crashes when I try and play Guild Wars 2, it also crashes when I run the OCCT:LINPACK and OCCT:GPU tests, the OCCT:CPU and the OCCT:power tests run fine. all of the OCCT tests run fine when it's in stock configuration as well.

I updated my graphics drivers and flashes the bios to the newest bios and re-ran the tests and the OCCT:LINPACK test ran OK, but the OCCT:GPU test crashed. Could have been because I ran them back to back, or it could have been that I didn;t allow the OCCT:LINPACK test to run long enough after updating the drivers?

So here I am wondering if I actually have a problem, or if it's the software(asus suite or the bios turbo) causing the problems for me?

As I said earlier, I have NO idea how to OC this thing manually and don't want to go in there fooling around with setting and screwing something up.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like a pointer to a walktrhough (If something like that exists) on how to overclock the setup I have.

Thanks in advance

Have seen a couple of users in the forum, say that AI Suite caused crashes for them. You might fully get rid of AI Suite and clear CmOs to be sure there are no leftover settings in bios from AI Suite and test again.

Have seen a couple of users in the forum, say that AI Suite caused crashes for them. You might fully get rid of AI Suite and clear CmOs to be sure there are no leftover settings in bios from AI Suite and test again.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I had already cleared the CMOS.

After I wrote the orignal post here, I went and played GW2 on the same PC under the system optimized default settings with cool & quiet off and the low fan alert speed set to 200RPM. I played for a couple of hours then all of a sudden BAM, the PC shut itself off once again, I sat there for a minute or two and BAM, it started itself up again.

Does anyone think this may be a power supply issue? maybe a motherboard?

After that shut off I went in and made sure that the able were all tight and there was good room inside the case for air flow. I felt the PSU and it felt pretty warm to the touch, not HOT, just very warm. I could put my hand on it without having to pull away so it wasn't IMO too hot. So once again I'm very stumped as to what the issue is with this PC?

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking about getting an RMA from Newegg, but I just chacked and found out that for the PSU and the motherboard they only have a 30 day return policy from the invoice date. I bought the parts for this PC over the period of a month or so and now find out that even though It's only been used a few days I can't return it to newegg for a replacement, i have to go through corairs RMA procedure which could take weeks. Figures.

Last edited:
What are you're core temps running under load? And what voltage is you're board assigning to you're ram? as sometimes the board will undervolt the ram which can cause a problem

What are you're core temps running under load? And what voltage is you're board assigning to you're ram? as sometimes the board will undervolt the ram which can cause a problem

From what I've seen the core temps never get above 44C, with the CPU temps never getting above 57C.

As for the memory voltage I'm not sure which is the memory voltage as it doesn't say memory?

From a good OCCT:LINPACK test with AVX checked that ran over 2 hours:

+3.3V = 3.29
+5V = 5.19
+12V = 12.21

VIN0 = 0.900
VIN3 = 1.751
VIN4 = 1.273
VIN8 = 1.764

If those are not the memory voltage then OCCT does not give the memory voltage in their tests?

If the motherboard is undervolting the RAM, would that cause the PC to shut itself OFF then sit there for a minute or two then start itself back up?

This is not a normal software crash where it just reboots, it actually turns itself off (even my G13 gaming pad loses it's juice because the window goes dark like I shut the PC off) then starts back up in a couple of minutes and goe to the login prompt.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it!

VIN0 = 0.900
VIN3 = 1.751
VIN4 = 1.273
VIN8 = 1.764
Those voltages I Disable in OCCT since they mean nothing to me and all I have showing are the 3 normal power supply voltages and the CPU Vcore. Makes less for me to capture and post in forum.

Turn completely off and wait and restart sounds like weak power supply or 'heat' issue. The power supply you have should be big enough unless it is just 'flawed'.

I figured out what the problem is, the brand new corsair TX-650 PSU is crap, the cooling fan is not spinning making it overheat and therefore shutting down my PC. Probably didn't work out of the box as I don't remember checking to see if it was spinning, only to see if it came on and powered everything up. :(. Now I'm probably not going to be able to use my brand new PC for about 1 month because of shoddy quality control at Corsair. Nice, NOT!

Thanks for the input, i will be back once I have my new PSU and everything is working again.

Back