• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P35c DS3R destroying ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Northbridge is fine, if anything, my ram gets hotter than the NB. This is how it would happen. Stock setting, stability test would pass, then I'd overclock to stable and after a couple weeks, reboots. Memtested the first set of Ballistix and both sticks were failing. Put it Patriot 6400 and retested the system at stock settings and passed. Ran the system overclocked a bit till the new Ballistix arrived. Repeat with new Ballistix. Now I started getting BSODs, failing Blend in Orthos and odd windows behavior.

So right now I have 1 stick of the Ballistix in a secondary slot with some prayers until the IP35 arrives. Then I'll rma this heinous DS3R and see how it goes from there.

Northbridge is fine, if anything, my ram gets hotter than the NB. This is how it would happen. Stock setting, stability test would pass, then I'd overclock to stable and after a couple weeks, reboots. Memtested the first set of Ballistix and both sticks were failing. Put it Patriot 6400 and retested the system at stock settings and passed. Ran the system overclocked a bit till the new Ballistix arrived. Repeat with new Ballistix. Now I started getting BSODs, failing Blend in Orthos and odd windows behavior.

So right now I have 1 stick of the Ballistix in a secondary slot with some prayers until the IP35 arrives. Then I'll rma this heinous DS3R and see how it goes from there.

To be honest, I love the DS3R rigs for my FAH rigs, but I'm thinking of replacing the DS3R in my main rig with something (okay, anything) else.

Some of my issues so far have been PSU related I think, so maybe I'll keep the DS3R until I make sure it's not my PSU causing my poor stability at OC issues (Q6600)

so will you be getting another ds3r and trying it agian?

2-3 weeks turnaround on the rma is too long for me, so I ordered a IP35 for $119 AR shipped to maybe replace the P35C DS3R. I'm sending back the Gigabyte when I get the Abit because I can't afford so much downtime.

I paid $190 for the DS3R when I bought it at the end of May. If the IP35 give me a better overclock than the DS3R (even though it was a flawed board), I'll probably just sell the replacement Gigabyte or use it for a tentative build.

Last edited:
Some of my issues so far have been PSU related I think, so maybe I'll keep the DS3R until I make sure it's not my PSU causing my poor stability at OC issues (Q6600)

What kind of issues?? With the problems I am having I began to suspect everything. I was looking at the my SpeedFan voltages from different screen shots I took.

5.06v on the 12v+ during a 10 hour Orthos run and now 0.38v on the same rail (idle at stock settings).

What kind of issues?? With the problems I am having I began to suspect everything. I was looking at the my SpeedFan voltages from different screen shots I took.

5.06v on the 12v+ during a 10 hour Orthos run and now 0.38v on the same rail (idle at stock settings).

LOL. Speedfan obviously is not reading the sensors correctly.

Are you trying the Patriot sticks yet?

Have tried them already, they seem to have been damaged by the board as well. But windows locks up less with the damaged Ballistix vs the damaged Patriot which is why I am using 1 stick of Ballistix right now. The IP35 is arriving tomorrow, so Friday I'll rip apart the system and re-test both ram kits with the Abit. I want to see if miraculously 1 or both kits begin passing Memtest with a different board.

I am doing this because at when my first set of Ballistix started going bad with the DS3R, I tried the Patriots and they were passing and failing. Then suddenly they began passing multi hour long passes of Memtest. Then finally 100% stable with overclocked settings.

RangerXLT8 said:
To be honest I think there is something up with that 3.4GHZ requiring 1.54volts. That is a really high vcore for such a clock. Mine runs 3.4 at 1.4v, and I have the original E6400....

I've seen similar clocks with similar chips using similar voltages on H20, so I'm not feeling too bad. At 3.2Ghz it takes around 1.45v according to SpeedFan to be Orthos for a couple hours. But I've read that the board undervolts. For me the 1.54v is actually 1.587v in bios, a difference of .047v.
3.20Ghz - 1.45v couple hours stable
3.40Ghz - 1.54v (1.587v bios) 12 hours+ stable

Damn board. Too many variables for me to blame the overclock solely on the chip.

Got the IP35. Ballistix failed with the IP35, but the Patriots survived. Crucial received the ram on the 7th and email me on the 8th to say they've shipped out a new kit.
Same overclock on the Abit, 3.4Ghz at 1.51v (with vdroop). If I had to do it again, I'd go with the IP35. The time wasted pressing Ctrl+F1 every time and the voltage options, annoying.

the one thing i see wrong with Cw's posts is that he forgets how many DS3R boards there are.... so CW are your boards the P35C's or P35 or P965's?

the one thing i see wrong with Cw's posts is that he forgets how many DS3R boards there are.... so CW are your boards the P35C's or P35 or P965's?

Good point. Mine are all P35 DS3R.....thought about getting the model with DDR3 but that stuff is too expensive right now.

Good point. Mine are all P35 DS3R.....thought about getting the model with DDR3 but that stuff is too expensive right now.

so then yours dont have the issue that might be refered to here as per the ddr2/ddr3 mix on one board. i read a few other posts about ram dieing on the p35c's but on the same token. i have read alot of micron d9's ic's have been just up and dieing, this was at stock speed/voltage mind you.

so then yours dont have the issue that might be refered to here as per the ddr2/ddr3 mix on one board. i read a few other posts about ram dieing on the p35c's but on the same token. i have read alot of micron d9's ic's have been just up and dieing, this was at stock speed/voltage mind you.

True, true, but most of the early argument was about default DDR2 voltage, which IS 1.8v.

I've gone all Gskill HZ 800, does 1000 @ 4-4-4-12, have two sets right now doing 1098 @ 4-4-4-12. 2.2v, so +4 in BIOS

True, true, but most of the early argument was about default DDR2 voltage, which IS 1.8v.

I've gone all Gskill HZ 800, does 1000 @ 4-4-4-12, have two sets right now doing 1098 @ 4-4-4-12. 2.2v, so +4 in BIOS

while that is true there is no telling how voltage for ddr3 is affecting ddr2 ram voltages, that is what they are getting at though.

while that is true there is no telling how voltage for ddr3 is affecting ddr2 ram voltages, that is what they are getting at though.

Ram temps at 2.2v, IP35 vs P35C DS3R are 'slightly warmish maybe' and 'very hot at times.'

read my post it is very clear what is wrong here and it is not the board. Gigabyte should get rid of these delta voltages (+0.1, +0.2V, etc) and just use absolute voltages.
I've found some problems with Gigabyte boards I thought were unique to the P65 series.

It was thwe oddest thing, it would power on and off rapidly at start-up whenever something was wrong.

Now I have a P35-DS3R and it was running perfect until you turn it off, then the rapid on/off cycle starts. Now I just can't get it to power back up. Switched out memory also 8500 Mushkin which I had to have stick replaced, I belaive this mmory is damaged easily by extreme voltages...

Of course the clear cmos jumper could not be placed in a worse location, you have to remove the graphics card everytime.

Now this can't be a coincidence: whether it was on the GA P965 or P35 sometimes removing the memory or removing one stick would cure the problem. My thoughts are that Gigabyte has implemented some new memory <> BIOS sub-system because of the similarities between different chipset boards. Anyway I have a feeling people are thinking there's some coomon denominator in my system, but trust me when I tell you, I've switched out every ancillary component including CPUs on both these motherboards.

I'm completely exhuasted.

I belaive this mmory is damaged easily by extreme voltages...

Unless you were using +.6v and above in bios, you probably weren't giving it extreme voltages

Of course the clear cmos jumper could not be placed in a worse location, you have to remove the graphics card everytime.

I used the clear cmos jumper once, since my video card is water cooled and I purposely left very little slack in the tubing. This cheap IP35 I'm using now just keeps gaining points.

Back