• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH Overclocking Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU:E6600 OEM
FSB: 370x9
Mem Volt: 2.15
Vmch: 1.65
Vcore: 1.55
Hyperpath: Disabled

Everything else set to auto, dual prime stable.

Last edited:
I bought the P5W DH with the desire to mildly OC my new Conroe system. I'm going to get the 6700 to power my rig but this thread has some good info anyway.

Is there a guide anywhere online that will tell me what all of these BIOS options on the P5W DH like Hyperpath and Visulation are and what they do ? Apparently you guys are turning this stuff off in the BIOS to aid OCing but I'd still like some info before shutting these things off. Thanks.

Hyperpath 3 tightens some internal parameters in the northbridge. Should yield better performance, but throws ocability down the toilet (>350MHz often isn't possible)

415MHz is about where mine tops out, regardless. :-/ 1.65v VMCH Hyperpath disabled. Never touched VT.

Similar results here with my E6600 and P5W-DH. I can run 3600MHz but it requires over 1.55v and gets hot very quickly using a Scythe Ninja and Noiseblocker SX2Pro fan.

At present I am running 100% dual-Prime stable at 3514MHz (390MHz x9) with 1.525v (1.47v under load actual) and 2Gb G.Skill HZ at 1:1 4-3-3-8, 2.40v.

It does seem that once you hit about 3.4GHz the voltage has to be ramped up a lot to give modest gains.

Are the 6600 multipliers unlocked ? I thought the multiplier was 12 x 200fsb = 2.4 Ghz ? It's been a while since I owned an Intel rig...

Dragonprince said:
Are the 6600 multipliers unlocked ? I thought the multiplier was 12 x 200fsb = 2.4 Ghz ? It's been a while since I owned an Intel rig...

Conroe's run at 1066 FSB, not 800..... ;)

Dooh. LOL like I said its been a while since Ive worked an Intel set up...

So If I want to hit 3Ghz with this board and a 6600 I will have to be at a 333Mhz FSB ? Hopefully the P5W DH is up for it !

Looks like we are all getting very similar results on air...

E6600 @ 1.45vcore 367fsb dual prime stable & never over 40 degrees. Hyperpath3 disabled and pretty much everything else on auto.

I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong lol.

fritzman said:
Looks like we are all getting very similar results on air...

E6600 @ 1.45vcore 367fsb dual prime stable & never over 40 degrees. Hyperpath3 disabled and pretty much everything else on auto.

I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong lol.

Setting PCI-E frequency to 110MHz is a little secret which does not cause instability and adds a good 10% increase to PCI-E bandwith.

Thanks Ranger... I'll try that later

I was just having a play with setfsb... got her up to 390fsb 1Mb superpi stable (14.875 sec's). Tried a 32Mb but she crashed. Ran a 32Mb @ 380 = 15mins 24.812secs's. Didn't try anywhere inbetween, just kept running the 1mb.

Finally got the memory up to something decent...
388-475Superpi.jpg

RangerXLT8 said:
Setting PCI-E frequency to 110MHz is a little secret which does not cause instability and adds a good 10% increase to PCI-E bandwith.

From everything I've read, OCing the PCI-e bus shows minimal, if any gain. People on here think otherwise.... Not quite sure myself...

I'm not sure if its by sheer luck but I changed from 100-110 pci freq and went from 9002 in pcmark05 to 9075.

So it's been almost a month since anyone posted in this thread. Have your 3.4+ OC's been stable or have you had to back down? I ended up buying the 6600 due to availability issues with the 6700 and because you guys were getting good results with the 6600. I set mine to 2.93 Ghz and left it there but now Im ready to start pushing a bit more so I wondering how they are holding up on air with the higher clocks......

I'm running 24/7 e6600 @ 3.6 with an actual vcore of 1.6 42C/56C IDLE/LOAD

orion456 said:
According to my E6600 retail box, Vmax = 1.35v.
Yep. These folks running >1.45v may be in trouble down the line. Intel doesn't say 1.35v MAX for the heck of it. My rule of tumb is that 10% over default vcore is safe.

Luckily my E6400 does 3.2ghz with 1.385v.

I can do 3.2 GHz ith 1.425V but then it is an uphill battle with heat and VCore. I have to set VCore to 1.5V to be abble to do 3.44GHz. I'm pretty sure there is an FSB wall I'm hitting, apart from the chip not scaling linearly with VCore.

I'm gonna stop at 1.525 VCore. If the chip burns up, I'll just have to do without a computer for several months. :)

Back