• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not to intrude on this thread but...
'Clear aluminum' = aluminum oxynitride, probably not that good of a conductor :p.

(when all else fails, ask a chemist)

Oroka Sempai said:
clacker2: I understand the concept of a bong, I understand that a closed loop made of plastic will hold the heat in, slowly building up the heat.
OK, now I'm confused.
If you understand the concept and see the flaw in the design, why pursue it?

I want to create something new, if everyone who wanted to create something new listened to all the people who say 'I appreciate the desire to reinvent the wheel but you first have to understand how a wheel works.', not many new things would get created. Some times you have to think outside the box/rad, come up with new ideas, modify those ideas, come up with new ideas...
Are you familiar with a man named John Harrison?
Charles Babbage?
If you'd like to create something "new" their stories would be quite instructive.
Both were "out-of-the-box" thinkers whose work (particularly Harrison's, poor Babbage was too far ahead of his time's technology) revolutionized the world.
But, as far outside conventional thinking as they lived (in Harrison's case, both figuratively as well as literally) their work was still founded on first priciples, not magical thinking.

Come on guys, this is for fun.

Don't you think this is fun?

If it don't work, I wasted a few hours of time and $20 in plexiglass. If the whole concept is 100% flawed, and will not work in any manner, no matter of any modifications, then lets come up with new ideas. Don't just say it wont work and that is it.
If you build it I would not consider it a waste of time.
Submit the prototype to Thermaltake and we'll all see it for sale in CompUSA next week.

If form strictly followed function, we would all be driving army tanks and living in concrete bunkers. Creativity is the catalyst of innovative creation.
I hope you found this constructive and not derisional (See? I'm creative too...I just invented a word!) as I wish you the best.

A further bit of information....there is no "a" in "clocker".

passive water cooling BLOWS

i tried a shower-head bong-style evaporation tower before...needed to be refilled all the time...also wasnt that great at cooling compared to using a radiator and closed loop system

clocker2 said:
I hope you found this constructive and not derisional (See? I'm creative too...I just invented a word!) as I wish you the best.

A further bit of information....there is no "a" in "clocker".

Changes nothing. I think the idea would look cool, and I would like to intergrate it into a WC set-up somehow. Car parts and a tupperware container full of water is not something I want in my livingroom.

oraka.jpg

Moving on.

Maybe it would have to be a non cooling element... something else cool looking would act like a rad, and my toilet water foutain thing would be part of the res?

Theorie said:
passive water cooling BLOWS

i tried a shower-head bong-style evaporation tower before...needed to be refilled all the time...also wasnt that great at cooling compared to using a radiator and closed loop system
Hmmm...
My understanding is that a properly designed bong cooler can achieve sub-ambient temps which would make it superior to a closed loop, standard water system.
Besides, a bong cooler can hardly be classified as "passive"- isn't there typically a fan involved?

You can't just say that passive cooling "BLOWS" without specifying the goals that it fails to achieve.
Real passive cooling (I'm thinking Zalman Reserator or the Innovatek Convect-o-Matics (gotta love that name!)) appeals primarily to the "quieter is better" crowd and seem to work very well within the constraints of their expectations. Higher operating temp is a perfectly acceptable tradeoff to get lower Db and max MHz is not even a concern.
Actually, even the Zalman and the Innovateks are not truly passive-they require a pump to circulate the coolant. I've seen a few (very few...) pumpless systems that rely on convection to circulate water, but they seem more like experiments than dependable day to day systems (could be wrong about this though).
Oroka Sempai said:
Changes nothing. I think the idea would look cool, and I would like to intergrate it into a WC set-up somehow. Car parts and a tupperware container full of water is not something I want in my livingroom.
Oops, my bad. Really.
Apologies all around.

Moving on then.
Not sure where the Tupperware or car parts came into the picture and I wasn't aware that you were designing for sheer bling as opposed to utility.
If adding whirlygigs and hamster runs to your waterloop is your thing, then have at it.
You see, I thought your "thinking outside the box" was aimed at improving the performance of your machine, hence the reference to John Harrison.
Now I realize that Rube Goldberg would be a more appropriate role model.

clocker2 said:
Now I realize that Rube Goldberg would be a more appropriate role model.
LOL good one!

I've been trying to avoid the 'look what I came up with' threads (1337 waterblock, this one, others) but I have to give that a :clap:

At least this idea has some non-supersecret potential (refrence to 1337 waterblock).

I would honestly get a quiet fan and a rad to put in your loop, and have it like tucked away behind your desk or something so you can have both nice temps and and your art.. :shrug:

Oroka Sempai said:
I hate noise in my computer, and OCing is not really a big issue for me, I do OC, but I would run stock if I could quiet my system.

First sentence of the first post pretty much explaines that my intentions are not improving system performance, but lowering my noise level.

I am glad you are getting a good laugh out of the Rube Goldberg thing. Really helps being told I should look up to someone who creates pointless contraptions to do simple jobs.

Last edited:
Oroka Sempai said:
First sentence of the first post pretty much explaines that my intentions are not improving system performance, but lowering my noise level.

I am glad you are getting a good laugh out of the Rube Goldberg thing. Really helps being told I should look up to someone who creates pointless contraptions to do simple jobs.
Oroka Sempai said:
Maybe it would have to be a non cooling element... something else cool looking would act like a rad, and my toilet water foutain thing would be part of the res?
:shrug:

ls7corvete said:
Do you have any info about how much heat a section of that stuff will handle? I have wanted to do a case with two lengths of that going across the top of the case.

No sorry no info =( Sorry for the late response but Christmas has sucked up all my time. Im building an X2/SLI box once I get done with my HTPC. The X2 box will be cooled with it. Its not hooked up to any system at all right now. Just ran the tubing one night because I was bored =\ Once I finally get around to it I'll post results with temps etc.

Back