• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Viper DDR3-2133 PV38G213C1K 8GB 1.5V Ram Kit Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
This is another preview-then-review thread like the G.Skill ones before it. They seem to work out well and are fun with memory. :)

Patriot sent a low voltage DDR3-2133 kit with some interesting specs, one of which isn't published on the spec sheet - one of its compromises aside from the obvious timings is that it has a 3T command rate.

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-stock-specs.jpg

It'll definitely be interesting to see how that plays out or if it makes any difference at all. Until then though, here is some eye candy. cool.gif

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-02.jpg

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-05.jpg

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-07.jpg

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-08.jpg

The plus side is its default 1.5V, giving me hope they can be overclocked well even at the standard 1.65V. Time will tell! salute.gif

Ok, well that was short-lived and painful. At stock, everything crashes. AISuite, Paint.net...more importantly, SuperPi 32M crashes the system, not just won't complete. Even updated BIOS in case it was mis-reading the XMP profile, but that didn't help a bit. Emailing Patriot. D'oh.

CR 3N is weird .. I mean like IB will probably work fine with CR 1N anyway but what was reason to set 3N in SPD ...
Geil 2133 10-11-11 1.50V that is on exactly the same IC was also crashing on standard settings. I had to add +0.025V to make it stable in memtest.
Even if board is undervolting, it's still strange that this memory passed internal producer's test.

Btw. yesterday I was testing my Geils for max clock and I just can't set CL13 on M5G above DDR3-2400. 2400 is working fine but 2600+ and CL13 = no boot at all. In this case max boot with cpu on box cooler and SS is the same.
It's looking strange as ~2820 is passing spi32m and 2850+ results in no boot.

Last edited:
I noticed the board was under-volting a hair at XMP (1.496V), so I bumped it to 1.505V (actual) and it didn't help. Then I tried 1.515V and still no love. I also tried increasing both VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.15, which also didn't help. I agree it's strange...hopefully it's something I'm doing wrong. Wouldn't be the first time! :)

As a last resort, I tried both sticks individually. One of them won't even get into windows without a BSOD. The other will actually pass SP32M but still isn't stable. Random applications crash (AISuite, Chrome, Cooler Master Storm Sirus software) without warning. None of it happens with a different G.Skill kit in use right now. I tried up to 1.515 vDIMM, 1.15 VCCIO & VCCSA and even tried loosening some secondary timings. Nothing helps.

There should be a Giga board coming at the end of the month or the beginning of the next. I'm not sure if they want me to keep them and test with the board or go ahead and exchange the kit now. Will update when I hear more.

As a last resort, I tried both sticks individually. One of them won't even get into windows without a BSOD. The other will actually pass SP32M but still isn't stable. Random applications crash (AISuite, Chrome, Cooler Master Storm Sirus software) without warning. None of it happens with a different G.Skill kit in use right now. I tried up to 1.515 vDIMM, 1.15 VCCIO & VCCSA and even tried loosening some secondary timings. Nothing helps.

There should be a Giga board coming at the end of the month or the beginning of the next. I'm not sure if they want me to keep them and test with the board or go ahead and exchange the kit now. Will update when I hear more.

Tell them about the problems your having with them, they might send you another set, it is in there interest after all...... i and many other are watching this with 50 Quid to burn :D

Oh, they know about the problems. They had asked if I had another board to test and I don't have any other Z77 boards right now (other than an Intel board which isn't good at RAM clocking). I gave them the choice of waiting until the Giga board arrives or exchanging the kit. :)

there is also something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220707
but I'm almost sure that it's exactly the same kit with other heatspreader

1 tip, check if all cpu pads are clean and have good contact ( it's not easy to check so just reseat cpu ). Memory can lose stability or can overclock worse when is bad pin contact. Last time I had something like that ... yesterday.
I really hate all intel LGA sockets. No problems like that on AMD.

Last edited:
Patriot seems to get the leftover Hynix ICs. I have some 1866 C9 with Hynix CFR by them and they need 11-13-12 for 2400. I briefly owned some of their 2000 C9 sticks using Hynix BFR and they weren't any better.

Patriot seems to get the leftover Hynix ICs. I have some 1866 C9 with Hynix CFR by them and they need 11-13-12 for 2400. I briefly owned some of their 2000 C9 sticks using Hynix BFR and they weren't any better.

I have 1866 C9 too and my kit has big problems to pass 2133 ;)
Best so far I saw in RipjawsZ, Mushkin 2133 and new Geil series.
I'm actually looking for cheap Mushkins but can't find anywhere. There is some price drop for most brands except Mushkin ...

Woomack, that's not a bad idea but I don't see how it could possibly have bad contact. The CPU, water block & indeed benching station itself have not moved at all. It's the same installation that pushed the TridentX kit to darn near DDR3-3000. Nothing has changed except swapping out a GPU and the RAM. :shrug:

I didn't do it, I swear! I test at stock before taking a chance on breaking them. Only then do I pour on the voltage. :D

RMA issued, sticks on their way back to CA tomorrow. Pretty painless so far. Patriot gets a gold star for expediency. :salute:

I'm having the same kind of problems as you Hokie. But with some samsung based Team Xtream sticks.
Try enabling swizzle. For me that went from constant 32m crashes to passing easily.

Point is that hokie's kit had problems to even boot @stock settings and disabled swizzle is giving chance for higher oc so also higher boot ( at least above 2800 ;) ).
Good to hear that you found some time to check that Team kit :)

btw after problems with booting @ 1.50V Geil changed info on site to 1.65V even that on heatspreaders is label 1.50V ;) ... nothing like simple way to solve problem :p

Can we get a new poll thread going on how many people can get memory over 1600mhz to run stable with xmp profile on z77 boards with ivy bridge? This thread looks really familiar.

I've never had a problem with G.Skill kits so far. RipjawsX 2133 works fine. Two different TridentX kits, one 8GB 2666 and one 32GB 2400 both worked fine too. I've actually seen very few people have trouble with memory on IVB; indeed, most people seem to be able to get rather crazy clocks out of it, assuming the memory is capable.

Now, you are running a 3570K rather than a 3770K and their IMCs are definitely not as strong for whatever reason. I can't say it's familiar to me at all though, as most IMCs I've seen even on 3570K's can run 2133 without issue. You've definitely got something going on in your thread, but it doesn't seem like a trend; at least that I've noticed, FWIW.

Back