• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Viper DDR3-2133 PV38G213C1K 8GB 1.5V Ram Kit Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok that's what I was wondering. I've been googling "z77 memory unstable" etc.. and not really seeing a ton of info except the occasional post saying to raise vccio a couple notches and bump the vdimm a little in case the mobo is undervolting.

That's good advice for sure and generally irons out any stock speed stability problems. If the IMC isn't up to the task though, no matter what memory you put on it, things won't change. Not that IMC is definitely your problem (and it's definitely not the problem with the kit in this thread, as this IMC is capable of very near DDR3-3000), but it's one item to consider.

I'm just curious if anyone will be able to run 2900+ kits from XMP on air ;)

All righty then, we're back in business. The replacement actually arrived last week but I was a bit busy with the NDA GPU review we published yesterday.

So I plugged the RAM in, set XMP and booted up. Everything was fine this time, passing SuperPi 32M with ease (the other kit was lucky to boot into windows, much less pass SP32M.

patriot-viper-2133-sp32m-stable-try2.jpg

Unfortunately, after plugging in the R.S.T. Pro, it wouldn't quite pass at absolute stock settings.

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-rstpro-fail.jpg

After a minor voltage bump to 1.55V (actual running voltage was 1.555 on a DMM), it passed with flying colors.

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-rstpro-stable.jpg

While I absolutely believe Patriot hand-tests these kits, the board they used on this kit must have over-volted slightly. Or their testing method isn't as strenuous as the R.S.T. Pro 3 (I do not know their testing method). Regardless, it's light years from where the first kit was, so on with the review. :thup:

I'm hurt, you never read any of my memory reviews. ;)

The R.S.T. Pro 3 PCIe is a dedicated RAM tester made by Ultra-X. This is much more strenuous than Memtest86/+ could ever hope to be. You know how people always say these days RAM doesn't get hot enough at the meager 1.65V typical high speed RAM runs at (these are 1.5V)? Yea...this makes them quite toasty.

Here's a photo of it in action on these sticks:

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-rstpro-running.jpg

Click here to see Ultra-X's product page. They are available by quote only. My memory can be faulty at times, but IIRC the only price I've ever seen on one of these was ~$800 a couple years ago.

I'm hurt, you never read any of my memory reviews. ;)

The R.S.T. Pro 3 PCIe is a dedicated RAM tester made by Ultra-X. This is much more strenuous than Memtest86/+ could ever hope to be. You know how people always say these days RAM doesn't get hot enough at the meager 1.65V typical high speed RAM runs at (these are 1.5V)? Yea...this makes them quite toasty.

Here's a photo of it in action on these sticks:

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-rstpro-running.jpg

Click here to see Ultra-X's product page. They are available by quote only. My memory can be faulty at times, but IIRC the only price I've ever seen on one of these was ~$800 a couple years ago.

Too bad these don't come up for sale in the "classies" :)

Well, good news of a sort - the sticks are very much memtest stable at the XMP 1.5vDIMM.

patriot-viper-2133-c1k-memtest-stable.jpg

Didn't have time to do anything else over the weekend, twas spent swapping the main system over to a new case (shameless plug link). Hoping to get some testing done later this week. :thup:

FYI, these are going to be headed to fellow editor Lvcoyote shortly. Things have gotten a bit too busy and something's gotta go. He's willing to review them, so that's where they're headed. He may not update the thread like I would, but I'll definitely post the review when he finishes it. :thup:

The review for these published today. :)

The Viper 3 system memory is positioned in Patriot's performance category offerings, and is available in speeds ranging from 1600 MHz to 2133 MHz. We will be reviewing the top dog in this category, the PV38G213C1K, 2133 MHz, 8 GB (2x4 GB) kit.

... Return to article to continue reading.

They didn't overclock too poorly, but they weren't stable enough to pass the R.S.T. Pro at stock voltage. Considering they're the only kit I've gotten that wouldn't...and Patriot was ok with that...Lvcoyote rightfully gave them a 'meh'.

Back