• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC sometimes hangs on boot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Running an ASUS board, goes past the first ASUS logo but when it goes to the 2nd (Windows logo) replaced with ASUS logo, PC sometimes hangs...doesn't actually load.

Aside from a usb port triggering this, and whatever is plugged into it, is there anything else I should troubleshoot?

Does anyone know what setting may cause the usb port and what is plugged into it cause this?

That's all I've been able to find during my research.

Thanks.

Marginal voltage? If I'm overclocked without HT, I can make same thing happen if I enable HT and not bump vcore. Windows bar begins to appear and freezes.

Could be, I am overclocked...not sure what HT is sorry...my windows bar doesn't appear, that's how I know it's hanging and I have to restart.

Usually something like this is caused by insufficient vcore. USB issues usually prevent the computer from shutting down properly. I would try increasing the vcore and cutting back on the LLC.

How much are you overclocked?

Usually something like this is caused by insufficient vcore. USB issues usually prevent the computer from shutting down properly. I would try increasing the vcore and cutting back on the LLC.

How much are you overclocked?
Either this or return it to stock and see if it still happens. If not maybe start from scratch and redo the Overclock.

It's a rather modest overclock on my 6700k, to 4.5 ghz but I suppose it could be the vcore. Once I got a stable OC I kept dropping the vcore until it was not stable. Then I set it slightly higher and used adaptive or whatever that setting is and left it alone. These issues didn't start until recently, I've been good with the OC for over a year.

Last edited:
Slow degrade perhaps? I remember being good 3.8ghz vcore 1.225, then had to bump 1 notch.

HT-hyper threading

What's a good vcore bump increment? 0.02v? and go from there?

So make sure HT is enabled, "I believe it is" I'm just not home to check right now, and cut back on LLC? I feel LLC is off, gotta check when I get home...

I would try 1.235. LLC will supplement the voltage under load to make the overclock stable but you still may need more up front to boot reliably into Windows.

No noo, about HT, I only meant that when I enabled it on mine, existing vcore wasn't enough now. I was on marginal vcore and slight more load from having HT on caused instability.

You may have had just enough volts to keep her stable and with time, it ended up not being enough. Cpu slowly degrades and if for example 1.2vcore was enough to be stable a year ago, now needs to be bumped to like 1.22

As always thanks for the help. I've lowered LLC from a 6 to a 5 and increased vcore from 1.22 to 1.24 and it's on adaptive with a +0.010 offset.

As always thanks for the help. I've lowered LLC from a 6 to a 5 and increased vcore from 1.22 to 1.24 and it's on adaptive with a +0.010 offset.

I assume you are stress testing? Actually that is a bad assumption because of your previous post.

I would do as mandrake said and see if it happens at stock. If it doesn;t, then clearly its your overclock not being stable. Since you are getting a load when loading windows and LLC will enable, I don't see how raising voltage and lowering LLX is going to help, honestly. I would simply raise the offset..............

.............. wait, why are you raising the base voltage, using LLC, AND an offset? Dah heck?!!! :p

Use two of the three... Either manual voltage with LLC (if you have vdroop), or use an offset.

I assume you are stress testing? Actually that is a bad assumption because of your previous post.

I would do as mandrake said and see if it happens at stock. If it doesn;t, then clearly its your overclock not being stable. Since you are getting a load when loading windows and LLC will enable, I don't see how raising voltage and lowering LLX is going to help, honestly. I would simply raise the offset..............

.............. wait, why are you raising the base voltage, using LLC, AND an offset? Dah heck?!!! :p

Use two of the three... Either manual voltage with LLC (if you have vdroop), or use an offset.

I did what I did because I have no idea what I'm doing sir :D

Ok, back to adjusting

So don't use LLC at all? Just raise the offset? I followed an OC guide but probably just a basic one.

Last edited:
I dont use an offsst. I set the voltage manually. If i have any vdroop, i then compensate with LLC so the voltage i set in bios = load voltage in windows. If i keep windows power plan to balanced, it still drops voltage.

I dont use an offsst. I set the voltage manually. If i have any vdroop, i then compensate with LLC so the voltage i set in bios = load voltage in windows. If i keep windows power plan to balanced, it still drops voltage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but having an offset allows me to use adaptive? I guess I don't want adaptive? I do want the vcore to drop in windows when idle...rather than constant vcore for no reason.

Help?

Back