• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC sometimes hangs on boot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont use an offsst. I set the voltage manually. If i have any vdroop, i then compensate with LLC so the voltage i set in bios = load voltage in windows. If i keep windows power plan to balanced, it still drops voltage.

Running an ASUS board, goes past the first ASUS logo but when it goes to the 2nd (Windows logo) replaced with ASUS logo, PC sometimes hangs...doesn't actually load.

Aside from a usb port triggering this, and whatever is plugged into it, is there anything else I should troubleshoot?

Does anyone know what setting may cause the usb port and what is plugged into it cause this?

That's all I've been able to find during my research.

Thanks.

For a USB drive causing this, I would unplug it and plug it back in and make sure it's not loose-fitting! For other issues, I dunno, but more likely to occur with laptops... I suspect the 2.5 inch'er spinners in many of them!

Needing CPU LLC=Then in my experience, it randomly fails to boot at all, it usually randomly fails to POST!

balanced mode drops clocks but not vcore...the vcore stays constant unless I choose adaptive mode in the bios...

- - - Updated - - -

For a USB drive causing this, I would unplug it and plug it back in and make sure it's not loose-fitting! For other issues, I dunno, but more likely to occur with laptops... I suspect the 2.5 inch'er spinners in many of them!

Needing CPU LLC=Then in my experience, it randomly fails to boot at all, it usually randomly fails to POST!

It's not a usb drive, just usb peripherals in general, camera, game pad...etc...I just thought it could be something like this...

I dont use an offsst. I set the voltage manually. If i have any vdroop, i then compensate with LLC so the voltage i set in bios = load voltage in windows. If i keep windows power plan to balanced, it still drops voltage.

I'm assuming you still have speedstep and c-states enabled? What LLC setting are you using?

This still happens from time to time...been increasing vcore by 2 points twice already...stable in realbench for 2 hours...yet sometimes it hangs on boot during windows logo?

Any other suggestions?

Should the vcore be even higher? I currently have it at 1.26 @ 4.5ghz...originally it was at 1.22.

You may need to give the board a bump in Initial Cpu voltage. I believe thats what it is called on my Z87 Hero.

Pepi93, is the overclock itself stable under stress testing (OCCT, Prime95, etc.) after you have booted into Windows? If so, the issue would seem to be that you are using technologies that supplement the vcore under load to provide stability but are not operative at other times, such as at boot. So it would seem to me you need to do something to keep the load voltage where it is while giving a modest boost to the voltage at other times, such as during boot.

Pepi93, is the overclock itself stable under stress testing (OCCT, Prime95, etc.) after you have booted into Windows? If so, the issue would seem to be that you are using technologies that supplement the vcore under load to provide stability but are not operative at other times, such as at boot. So it would seem to me you need to do something to keep the load voltage where it is while giving a modest boost to the voltage at other times, such as during boot.

What happens is, PC hangs in windows logo from cold (meaning, it has been shut down overnight), then right away I reboot and it works fine, every time.

My OC is stable with realbench for 2 hours and my vCore is set to manual at 1.26 now, with no adaptive mode and LLC at 6. During RealBench, it goes to 1.28v now...I actually haven't done stress testing with this voltage because it was stable at 1.24 with a LLC of 6. Probably would be stable at 1.22 but it was suggested to bump it up to see if the hangs continue...

I don't want to go to stock settings because stock vcore is like 1.35 or something...and the hangs are so infrequent that it could be weeks before another happens...

I've had 2 since the start of this post to give you an idea.

Last edited:
Try reducing the CPU multiplier by 1x and see if the hanging goes away. That should tell you something.

If I'm over clocked and I enable c states, it would bsod on logo. Maybe some kind of power saving feature gets stuck? Have you tried disabling any of those? I don't know which ones new CPUs have..

If I'm over clocked and I enable c states, it would bsod on logo. Maybe some kind of power saving feature gets stuck? Have you tried disabling any of those? I don't know which ones new CPUs have..

I disabled c-sates recently since it wasn't producing the result I wanted with clocks and vcore dropping when idle...

Try reducing the CPU multiplier by 1x and see if the hanging goes away. That should tell you something.

I tried this (reduce multiplier by 1x) and it hung again. This time not from a cold (overnight) state.

Not sure at this point. I doubt my cpu degraded so much in 2 years that it requires more vCore then I've been giving it, especially when it passes a RealBench test. So I guess it's a BIOS setting, but I'm not sure which one. I have all c-states disabled etc.

I've had Asus boards that wouldn't boot with a flash drive in a USB port, and currently have a Giga board that now won't boot with an old webcam plugged in a USB port. Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS and is it a dual boot system? And have you tried Windows Startup Repair? Your symptoms sound like a Windows bootmgr problem to me. After that I would unplug all drives but the boot drive and see what happens. My $.02.

Back