• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom ii 550 struck by lightning!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thekillerlama

Ok, so I got an asus m4a89gtd pro usb motherboard and a corsair hx750w powersupply.
It sounds bad, but I am pretty sure that lightning killed my computer. I turned it on and it smelled like something was burnt. I tried once more and managed to get into windows but none of the usb connectors was working, leading to me not being able to get into the bios!
Is this plausible that lightning caused this?
I'm trying to figure out exactly where the damage is, obviously the motherboard, but perhaps the psu is gone?
What do you guys think??
Edit: I got an phenom ii 955, I do not know why i wrote 550!

Replace the motherboard, its toast!

The network cable was likely the culprit that let the lightning into the computer. Check it and see if you see anything around the port or the plug itself.

Thats what i was afraid of. Well, I cant see any visible damages on the network cable, but I cant argue against the fact that the motherboard is toast!

This has to be the weirdest thing I have ever experienced, the motherboard is working again, this is not the case for EVERY usb device that was connected to the motherboard!
The mouse and keyboard are both gone!
Has anybody experienced anything similar?

My mistake, sorry. These itermitten problems, to a Extreme Bencher, are signs of water/ice building up on a component that was not insulated properly.

The computer keeps confusing me. Now it's working fine, no problems, no smell.
Still the usb devices that was connected are still dead!

Back