• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Phenom II 965 125w (at what voltage is it risky) | 4GHz goal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
running 3 4gb sticks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231313

when i 1st built i only got 1 stick cause it was so expensive, i grabbed a couple more sticks when the prices were better
they are clocked manually according to G.Skill's spec sheet

now ot put my Vcore back to 1.4125, really don't think it needs over 1.405, but my board give 0.0125 incriminates
i wonder if i can set the fsb to something like 201 (201*20=2020 Mhz) to get the most out of the voltage
but i should run a 8hr prime run to make sure i have it stable at this level before i change anything else

Glad you found stability,

As far as your Ram goes, I see in your sig you're running 12g is that 3x2g sticks? If so you may run into stability issues when trying to raise the Nb Freq because the Phenom II's IMC isn't all that strong. If you do raise the NB Freq and setting the Cpu NB V to 1.2-1.25 doesn't help with stability I would try removing 1 stick and see if it helps.

A ram Guru I am not ...... correct me Mandrake but by running 3 sticks does that not force windows to run the ram in single channel? Yes the IMC in the PII's is not as strong and running more then 2 sticks can cause stability issues.

running 3 4gb sticks
umm yeah that, hands moving faster then the brain 3x2g lol :screwy:

In my eyes 2 hours Prime Blend is stable, no need for you to stress it for 8 hr. Unless you use it for some really heavy duty numbers crunching, where losing data would be catastrophic.

You could try lowing the multiplier to 19.5 and go to 205 on the FSB. I would lower the Ram to 1333 first, and drop the multipliers on the Ht Link and Nb freq. That way you eliminate as many variables that could cause an issue and see if it passes at 1.4. Sometimes using the Fsb will help get those extra Mhz without requiring more Cpu V core, so it's worth a shot.

correct me Mandrake but by running 3 sticks does that not force windows to run the ram in single channel?
Bassnut I have never run odd amounts of sticks I have no idea. You would know better then I.

A ram Guru I am not ...... correct me Mandrake but by running 3 sticks does that not force windows to run the ram in single channel? Yes the IMC in the PII's is not as strong and running more then 2 sticks can cause stability issues.
lets assume it does, what about linux? i don't use windows

lets assume it does, what about linux? i don't use windows

Dual Channel and Single channel is decided at the motherboard level and not the O/S level.

Generally it is understood that an uneven number of ram sticks in an AMD motherboard will cause the board to run the ram in Single Channel mode.
RGone...

Dual Channel and Single channel is decided at the motherboard level and not the O/S level.

Generally it is understood that an uneven number of ram sticks in an AMD motherboard will cause the board to run the ram in Single Channel mode.
RGone...
would it be worth getting another stick? to get a even number
a dual pack of 2 gb cost more than 1 more stick of 4
do you think the price of a stick will drop or just keep going up?
and is it worth it for dual channel?

i use 1/2 my ram as a ramdisk so i don't want to use 8gb

EDIT:
BTW 4hrs prime passed

i am only running 49-52C, don't think I will bother trying 205 at 19.5 (205*19.5=3997.5)
4GHz is the goal, sucks to be a sliver over 1.4V to do it, but if that is what it takes, was hoping to make my cpu look better than Mandrake4565's from post 2, lol

would CL8 (or CL7) @1333 preform better?
or should i run it at CL9 1333 and under-volt it to 1.35

Last edited:
The more ram you put on the board the greater chance you have for stability issues, so it is up to you. Mixing and matching ram has been done, even if they are the same sticks the manufacturer of the Ic may be different, thus could cause issues.

i am only running 49-52C, don't think I will bother trying 205 at 19.5 (205*19.5=3997.5)
4GHz is the goal, sucks to be a sliver over 1.4V to do it, but if that is what it takes, was hoping to make my cpu look better than Mandrake4565's from post 2, lol
Every chip is different as well as setups, your chip may respond differently on my board and vice verse. The voltage and temps you have now are perfectly acceptable, unless you do some really heavy duty work on that pc, you'll never come close to the temps the Prime Blend will create.

would CL8 (or CL7) @1333 preform better?
or should i run it at CL9 1333 and under-volt it to 1.35
usually lower timings will be quicker but in normal every day usage you probably wont see a difference however you set it up. The sticks you have are 1600mhz, I would try and see if the Cpu will allow you to run them at that Mhz. It may or may not, only testing will determine it. My 955 runs happily @ 1600 mhz on the ram, though I do give the Cou Nb V 1.25 v in order to do so.

i have run them an 1600 since the day i got them, they have never given me a issue
ran them with the cpu at 3.7GHZ for a very long time

If I get more ram it will be the same model, CL, brand, series, voltage, etc.

edit: 4hrs 10min of prime, now lets try another 20MHz
edit that filed in under 5 min, probably cause of 1600 ram

Last edited:
i think i forgot to say thanks, so thanks everyone
also is 1.45v core a bit high for 4.1GHz stable?
1.3125 for 3.7 (8hrs rime)
1.4125 for 4 (4hrs prime)
1.45 for 4.1 (5-6hrs prime)
anyone think i can get 4.2 stable for <= 1.5 vcore?

i went back to 3.7 to give the system a break from all that prime

also is 1.45v core a bit high for 4.1GHz stable? >> varies from system to system. Who knows? If it takes that to be stable then that is how it is.

anyone think i can get 4.2 stable for <= 1.5 vcore? >> Try it and see. Systems don't care what other people think. Only what works counts.

That's a good OC for those volts. Mine takes more than that for 3.9! I run it like that daily

i kinda meant on average, lol
anyway thanks for replying
thanks Johan45, that is more like what i was looking for

i think i forgot to say thanks, so thanks everyone
also is 1.45v core a bit high for 4.1GHz stable?
It is what it is, like I said earlier every set up/chip is different each will require different voltages. I don't remember off the top of my head what Cpu V I used to get my 955 stable at 4.1. but 1.45 sounds correct.

As far as 4.2 stable at less then 1.5, I would be surprised, unless you have really low ambient temperatures if the CM 212 will be able to keep the temps down low enough for you to get there. It is certainly possible but you may hit the heatwall before you hit 4.2.

@ Johan
That's a good OC for those volts. Mine takes more than that for 3.9! I run it like that daily
That's because you have little piggies!

That's because you have little piggies! >> piggies or bowwows? C_D has the market covered on pigs. I doubt he could get them cleared thru customs to get them to "Johan" in Canada.
RGone...

As far as 4.2 stable at less then 1.5, I would be surprised, unless you have really low ambient temperatures if the CM 212 will be able to keep the temps down low enough for you to get there. It is certainly possible but you may hit the heatwall before you hit 4.2.

at 4.1GHz i can keep the temps at 52-55C if i keep my top 140mm fan at 100%
other fans are near 50% load
i think i have a little head room left as far as temps are concerned, but i am getting close

That's because you have little piggies! >> piggies or bowwows? C_D has the market covered on pigs. I doubt he could get them cleared thru customs to get them to "Johan" in Canada.
RGone...

You'd be surprised who I mean what the'll let across the border.:rofl:

at 4.1GHz i can keep the temps at 52-55C if i keep my top 140mm fan at 100%
other fans are near 50% load
i think i have a little head room left as far as temps are concerned, but i am getting close
You do have headroom but the voltages necessary to push further are going to increase more and more, you'd be surprised how fast things start heating up. Furthermore, even though you're not near the Max suggested temp, sometimes the P II chips will get a little wonky at 55c and above, only time will tell. Be careful pqwoerituytruei, this can become very addictive, you may go full water loop if you're not careful. :D

at around 55c on the package temps, or cores is really about it most of the time.
water the cpu and the vrm and see where it goes.
my 965 tops out around 4.4 right now, but at some point I'm going to find out what is the top for it.

Testing a ~1.48 so far 1.5hrs of prime 14:29-16:07
temps are 54-59
if this is not stable, too bad not pushing it harder that that

If i when liquid cooling i would either need to mount the radiator outside of the case or get a bigger case, IMO if a 212 Evo does not cut it may as well go for a H100i

Last edited:
If i when liquid cooling i would either need to mount the radiator outside of the case or get a bigger case, IMO if a 212 Evo does not cut it may as well go for a H100i
When I say liquid I mean real liquid not AIO, I have seen more people come on the forums, that have problems with those units. The reliability on them isn't all that great.

Back