• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Phenom II b55, help breaking the 4ghz barier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnubisOne

I have been able to hit 3.9 ghz stable, but I can not hit 4 ghz. I tryed setting the multiplier to x20 for 4ghz in the BIOS, but when I try to start prime 95 the window disappears and the program shuts down. Anybody with something close to this set-up have any input?

My build:
CPU: Phenom II b55 (unlocked 555)
Mobo: MSI 870A - G54
PSU: Corsair GS800
GPU: 6870 1gig CF

Use more vcore? Lower temperatures?

That's about all anyone can tell you. ;)

What HT Link, CPU-NB and memory speeds are you running, along with vcore and CPU-NB voltage?

Right now my vcore is at 1.46 and my temps are stable at 48-49c at full load.. But everything else I don't know at the moment. I am stress testing right now at 4ghz and I don't want to bring up anymore windows/processes.

You should be okay up to 1.55v.
I'd keep 1.5v or less for long term longevity (3+ years).

Your CPU temperature seems fine too, that's great :)

If it passes 1 hour, you should be okay.
Personally, 2-4 hours, most don't have the patience for that.

If you can pass 4-5 hours then you're pretty super-ultra golden.

Forgot to say temperatures, 32-34c idle and 52c load.

B55, what you using to check temp?? Once unlock, you loose the cores to report temperature. That temperature for that clock is extremely/unbelievably great, what kind of heatsink/cooler are you using?

I have same CPU and similar MB, I am running @3.6GHz with stock 1.35v, but to get 4.0 GHz voltage needs to be crancked up to 1.425. that takes the Socket temp upto 62-63 easily. I am using Hyper 212 plus.
These CPUs are golden.

thanks

Last edited:
52c load for a Phenom II X4 @ 4 GHz at 1.49v is perfectly reasonable. Furthermore, he should be safe in 60-65c range even, unless he isn't able to maintain stability.

He can lock his CPU again and measure the difference between the motherboard sensor and the CPU sensors, but generally they will read the same thing +/- 5c.

If he were at 60c right now, there still would be no problem. You have to remember, some CPUs run hotter than others, and others are more leaky than others.

I had a CPU once that with a 4 heatpipe HDT cooler (Sunbeam Core Freezer) and 3800 RPM fan would load to 56c at 3.9 GHz / 3 GHz CPU-NB - with 1.52v/1.35v, what it needed for that clock.

I've got another that goes all day at 4 GHz / 2.8 GHz with 1.37v / 1.25v, running 46-48c load on a Corsair H70.

52c load for a Phenom II X4 @ 4 GHz at 1.49v is perfectly reasonable. Furthermore, he should be safe in 60-65c range even, unless he isn't able to maintain stability.

He can lock his CPU again and measure the difference between the motherboard sensor and the CPU sensors, but generally they will read the same thing +/- 5c.

I did try extensively to figure out the difference in socket and core temps. I had a thread running with results about a year ago. In my case its about 8 degree. I mean socket runs about 8 degree higher than CPU cores. But the problem is wattage, which is I am not comfortable with. CPUZ shows 160 and HWMonitor shows 167. MY MB can accept CPU upto 140W, so I am already on or beyond boarderline.
And I know software reporting of Wattage cou;ld be very off, but I don't want to catch fire either.

If he were at 60c right now, there still would be no problem. You have to remember, some CPUs run hotter than others, and others are more leaky than others.

I had a CPU once that with a 4 heatpipe HDT cooler (Sunbeam Core Freezer) and 3800 RPM fan would load to 56c at 3.9 GHz / 3 GHz CPU-NB - with 1.52v/1.35v, what it needed for that clock.

I've got another that goes all day at 4 GHz / 2.8 GHz with 1.37v / 1.25v, running 46-48c load on a Corsair H70.

B55, what you using to check temp?? Once unlock, you loose the cores to report temperature. That temperature for that clock is extremely/unbelievably great, what kind of heatsink/cooler are you using?

I have same CPU and similar MB, I am running @3.6GHz with stock 1.35v, but to get 4.0 GHz voltage needs to be crancked up to 1.425. that takes the Socket temp upto 62-63 easily. I am using Hyper 212 plus.
These CPUs are golden.

thanks

I am using speedfan to read my temps and I'm using a corsair h60 with new fans in a push/pull. Does nicely to cool the cpu down. I'm gonna do some more testing later today to check temps again, but for 3 hours straight last night I didn't go over 52c during prime 95.

I did try extensively to figure out the difference in socket and core temps. I had a thread running with results about a year ago. In my case its about 8 degree. I mean socket runs about 8 degree higher than CPU cores. But the problem is wattage, which is I am not comfortable with. CPUZ shows 160 and HWMonitor shows 167. MY MB can accept CPU upto 140W, so I am already on or beyond boarderline.
And I know software reporting of Wattage cou;ld be very off, but I don't want to catch fire either.
TDP = Thermal Dissipation Power. AMD specifies this to rate how many watts (not the electricity kind) that a heatsink must dissipate to remain in operating specifications.
Power draw at 100% load will almost always be higher than listed TDP.

The software "TDP" reading is BS, CPU-Z SHOULD be reading 65/95/125w etc which is the factory TDP (hint= does not equal power consumption), if it's not then big whoop. When you unlock the CPU, the temperature sensor is dropped and the model number is read incorrectly, inherently so is the stock TDP value.

This is nothing to worry about, and your motherboard's "140w support" is just MSI's way of saying "Look at me, I can support AMD's most power hungry CPUs!"...

So is there anyway I can get core temps while unlocked, or at least an overall cpu temp? Or am I out of luck with that? I have been using the motherboard sensor for temps assuming that was ok.

Back