• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II x6 1055T - need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xaida

Registered
Hey guys,

I ordered a new video card (R9 290x Windforce OC), but I'm currently thinking that it could slow down my system.
Currenlty I'm using:

Phenom II x6 1055T
ASRock N68-S3 UUC
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
R9 290x Windforce OC
Corsair H80i watercooler

Some friends told me, that my MB is too bad to overclock my CPU with.
Would you say that it's possible for someone with no experience in overclocking to get some more performance or would you suggest to get a new mainboard? If so, which mainboard could you suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Xaida

Can only make it faster bro :) disreguard their accusations.
as for overclocking im not sure an amd guy would habe to put input on that

I wouldn't OC on that motherboard one bit, but you do need new PC friends if they think a 290X will make your PC slower...

Thanks for the fast, first replies.
Would it make any sense to buy a new motherboard for overclocking reasons, or would it be a waste of money on this CPU?

a good board is the backbone of any rig, the better the motherboard the better it can support the good stuff we put on it.

It would make sense.

When OC'ed to 3.8GHz, these CPU's are still very capable!

Which mainboards could you suggest for overclocking reasons? The cheaper the better tbh, as long as it'll work well.

Agreed with the M5A99X Evo, it's a really good board for the money. If you plan on overclocking, you'll need a good after market heatsink as well. A Cooler Master 212 Evo would be a good choice but you need to make sure the case is wide enough to fit it. Additionally what speed ram do you have and what power supply. You do not want to overclock or try to run a 290x on a junk Psu.

Agreed with the M5A99X Evo, it's a really good board for the money. If you plan on overclocking, you'll need a good after market heatsink as well. A Cooler Master 212 Evo would be a good choice but you need to make sure the case is wide enough to fit it. Additionally what speed ram do you have and what power supply. You do not want to overclock or try to run a 290x on a junk Psu.

OP already has H80.

Agreed with you about the PSU.

Why would an M5A97 R2.0 not be a good board for that processor? I know it is not good for an FX, but great for a 4 core Phenom. Why not the 6 core Phenom?

I ask because the price difference between the 2 is $40 or so. He is looking for cheap.

It would probably work though I do not know how much power those 6 core Phenoms draw, when OCed.

It would probably work though I do not know how much power those 6 core Phenoms draw, when OCed.

Surfing for some comps with M5A97EVO and the plain M5A97 R2.0.

Alright here's my current problem with my settings. After a minute of running prime95, 2 workers stop working.

Asus M5A97 EVO
4.0ghz(250*16)
3000 NB freq << << I bet that setting is part of his problem.
2000htl
Vcore 1.4625v
Cpunb 1.412v
Dram 1.7v

RAM
Kingston HyperX
Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit...

Cooling
Corsair H60 (push pull system)
Corsair Cooling Hydro-Series All-in-One High-Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CWCH60

Well , all of you bring good idea and opinion ! but i Think i'll keep it like that at the moment ! Its running very good right now using a combintion of FSB and Cpu Multiplier.

M5A97 r2.0 1090T x6 thuban With Hyper 212 Evo
225 Fsb
16.5 Multi
1.45 Cpu voltage
rams @ 1800mhz ( out of my 1866 corsair vengeance )
1090t @ 3.725 ( out of 3.2 ghz normal ) << Certainly not the 4.0Ghz we all try for.

CPU Temps
34c Idle
42c on Hitman:absolution full graphics
55c on Prime95

Just a couple of comp rigs with 1090T. They can be hot as evidenced by 55c in P95 as just above with
a fair air cooler.

RGone...ster.

I had a couple of Thubans (1075T and 1100T).

Both were doing more than 4GHz on air (4.2GHz and 4.3GHz respectively, with a NH-D14).

The 1100T was handling a higher CPU-NB than the 1075T (3000+ vs 2800'ish IIRC).

I guess a H80 with a decent mobo and an average CPU would allow 4GHz+.

I've ran my FX6300 on the M5A99 Evo [email protected] together with an Hyper 212 Evo without issue or high temp for a couple of months (this FX6300 is not a bad clocker though).

on my old m5a97 R2.0 I stuffed in a 4170 and 4.5 was the tops and overall it was a disaster.

Back