• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II x6 1055T - need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The thing is, he doesn't have a 1090, he has a 1055. He will only be able to OC with the bus as I do not believe that was an unlocked chip. (correct me if I am wrong) If he just wants to OC to say 3.2 to pick up some performance it may be better to go with a cheaper board for now. If money was not the issue, I would get a Sabertooth right away and be able to OC any FX in the future, but since money is an issue, maybe a cheaper board with a lower OC would be the answer. The M5A99 is a poor choice, from what I have been told by everyone on the forms, for an FX, so it would not be helpful in the future if he wished to upgrade to an FX.

Just my line of thinking. I could very well be wrong.

Agreed a low end thuban with a little OC should be just fine as an interim, and C_Ds correct the 6xxxFX do OK on the M5A 99 boards, they're 6 phase power is adequate enough to get a decent OC from them.

A 1055T should get to 3.2-3.3Ghz and will even be better/faster then a 63X0 FX cpu with over a 1GHz speed advantage.

The thing is, he doesn't have a 1090, he has a 1055. He will only be able to OC with the bus as I do not believe that was an unlocked chip. (correct me if I am wrong)

You're right. But most of the 990 boards are doing 260+ on the bus, which is almost a 30% OC at least.

My 1075T (not multi unlocked), was OC'ed to 4.2GH (bus@280MHz) on both a Sabertooth and a MSI GD65 (poor choice for FX's though).

Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Mainboard Sockel AM3+ (ATX, AMD 990FX/SB950, 16x PCIe, 4x USB 3.0)

Would this be a good choice in order to OC my 1055T ?

By the way there are almost too many posts to count about 1055T etc, bottlenecking video cards.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/74943-will-amd-1055t-bottleneck-290x/
Will AMD 1055t bottleneck 290x? This was the thread title.

BuT this was his first post.
Can the AMD Phenom 2 x6 1055t 3.5ghz (oc) bottleneck a 290x? << He had his 1055T @3.5Ghz when
he asked the question.

They go back and forth about specific games and one says good to go and others of course, not good
to go. Most said upgrade cpu within a year or so. Well that post is from Nov 2013 and this is now at least
7mos later already.

My reason for linking is to shed some light on what games seem cpu dependent and how those
that had run on Intel seemed to believe their outcome was better.

I mean we have a non-Overclocker going to spend a little less than $200 Usd on mobo and need
better cooler and all that for what? Is he really honestly going to be just lovely after spending that money and learning to overclock his cpu.

I am not super knowledgeable about games and gaming. What does and maybe is just barely workable.
I just want this newbie at overclocking with friends that say his video card will slow his computer, to know where it is he is going.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
I was still in g00gle mode when I wrote that above and continued to "look" before posting what I wrote above.

This is very interesting for sure.
An AMD Mantle users Testing BF4.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/an-amd-mantle-users-testing-bf4.198941/
END EDIT.

I could also get an Asus Crosshair IV Formula Mainboard for about the same price as the Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0. Is there a difference between those two mainboards? If so, which one would you suggest?

It all depends on what your plans are for the future. The Sabertooth and CHV are great boards but they're also pricey if you never intend on using them with a high end FX ? Just to run the 1055 it's overkill, if you intend on getting a FX8xxx then yes by all means pick one up. If you don't think you'll ever need/want an 8 core then there are less expensive alternatives.

It all depends on what your plans are for the future. The Sabertooth and CHV are great boards but they're also pricey if you never intend on using them with a high end FX ? Just to run the 1055 it's overkill, if you intend on getting a FX8xxx then yes by all means pick one up. If you don't think you'll ever need/want an 8 core then there are less expensive alternatives.

+1

Thanks for the replies - Im definitely going to get a FX 8350 within 2 month.

Shall I get the Asus Crosshair IV Formula or the ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ?

Heck men all I did was copy and paste at thing from his post and add a little size to eet.

I thought about just shortening that little fanger, but then what use to get the boogers? Hehehe.
So freeken gross.
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Heck men all I did was copy and paste at thing from his post and add a little size to eet.

I thought about just shortening that little fanger, but then what use to get the boogers? Hehehe.
So freeken gross.
I guess it is 5PM somewhere... as Rgone(STER!) seems to have started already! :shrug: :p :rofl:

So freeken gross.

Did you get in to C_D's Everclear again?

Back