• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom support on Biostar mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
So I e-mailed Biostar tech support to see if they planned Phenom support for my TF7025-M2. I happily told them that I was already trying to get a Phenom working in the board, yeah I lied. :D

me said:
I cannot get a new K10 Phenom to work in this motherboard. Does Biostar have any intention on providing a compatible Bios for the TF7025-M2 in the near future?

biostar said:
This board TF7025-M2 No support Phenom cpu, the only boards to support Phenom CPU are,TF520 am2+, TF560am2+ TF770am2+,TF570SLI am2+

There you have it... no support from Biostar on any current AM2 based mobos.

Now my only hope for a drop in upgrade is DFI and my UltraII-M2.

I also read something today that got under my skin even more, and is laughable at the same time... if ASRock can make a mobo with an nForce3 chipset and ULi southbridge that supports Phenom, why the heck can't other vendors get their stuff together using chipsets that are one to two generations newer?

kinda of annoying. but for the price of a mobo from biostar...

not a flame. i am pleased with what i got from the 7025/3600+ combo.

I guess I'm just a little annoyed with the fact that AM2+ cpus are/were advertised as backward compatible with current AM2 motherboards.

Maybe I'm just dense and thought, "hey... they (AMD) have already got this worked out". It never struck me that it would be a big hassle and mobo vendors wouldn't want to take these steps for their customers.

<sarcastic>

No... wait, I am dense. That just means they won't sell another mobo and are just helping AMD out. Duh! :slaps forehead: Silly me...

</sarcastic>

This is why I always said I'll believe it when I see it. It's easy for AMD to say that they will all be backwards compatible, but it's another entirely for the mobo makers and AMD to get on the same page and make it happen.

This is why I always said I'll believe it when I see it. It's easy for AMD to say that they will all be backwards compatible, but it's another entirely for the mobo makers and AMD to get on the same page and make it happen.

x2.

Its one for AMD to say its backward compatible, and another for the motherboard manufacturers to realize they can force people into buying a completely new motherboard so it will work...

At least that is what I see will happen. I don't foresee many manufacturers updating the BIOS to make Phenom compatible.

Damn, bad luck.

To the OP, AsRock is owned by Asus, and they have a good track record when it comes to releasing updated BIOSes for older chipsets. Perhaps something to keep in mind in the future.

To the OP, AsRock is owned by Asus, and they have a good track record when it comes to releasing updated BIOSes for older chipsets. Perhaps something to keep in mind in the future.

Yes, I'm aware that AsRock is budget Asus. I've just never been an Asus fan. I guess I've just seen too many of their boards die.

Though the point of the matter is that Phenom support can be done on these older chipsets, and it's the mobo vendors themselves who aren't stepping up to the plate.

I just figured since the K10 was a revised & enhanced, that's debatable, K8 that the tweakings to the bios for the Phenom would be more along the lines of adding a new stepping support. Now in the past few weeks we've seen what's really under the hood of the K10 and how much different it is than K8. So I understand why it may be more difficult to update the bios for AM2 socket boards... but as ASRock has shown us, it's definitely not chipset compatibility issue.

Obviously I'm upset with the mobo vendors for not bringing support, but I'm even more upset at AMD for touting forward compatibility on AM2 when in fact they had little to no control over what would actually be forward compatible.

Well, AMD didn't LIE when they said that AM2 boards are compatible with Phenom... they certainly ARE. But they neglected to mention that it all depends on the mobo manufacturers to come up with updated BIOSes. It appears a lot aren't bothering to do so, perhaps to get more people to buy their AM2+ boards (call me a cynic here)...

They should have just said, "the pin-out is the same". IMO, they (AMD) made the situation sound like any and every AM2 motherboard would be easily supported with a simple bios update. Ahh, not so simple bios update.

Again, I'm dense, I should have realized they have no control over mobo vendors and their choices. Besides, everyone has to make a buck somehow.

I just got the phenom 9500 today. It's just on my SETI cruncher and ORB server so I hope I don't run into and errata issues.

It's on the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, so I can verify that this AM2 board seems to work well for phenom so far.

I can't blame AMD for the mobo makers not updating their bioses, it's not their fault. They're probably pretty mad at the mobo guys themselves since they'll lose quite a few sales to people who wanted to upgrade from AM2 and can't. It's just a cash grab from the mobo guys.

Back