• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sat there next to the old school for five hours... thought it was pointless. The payoff was worth it.

Used my $120 28-70 AF-D flare killer lens for this one. Two exposures blended using luminosity masks. Caught the bolt, broke out the flashlight, then did another shot for the foreground.

DSC_3224.jpg

Sat there next to the old school for five hours... thought it was pointless. The payoff was worth it.

Used my $120 28-70 AF-D flare killer lens for this one. Two exposures blended using luminosity masks. Caught the bolt, broke out the flashlight, then did another shot for the foreground.

View attachment 191683

Indeed; amazing result!

My father's been dealing with some bad health news lately (the C word), so I in turn have not found myself interested in photography lately.

To try and get myself back in the game, I blew a wad and got big money lens #2 on the wish list: Nikkor 85mm f1.4 AF-D, aka the "cream machine."

Here are two of the test shots. No speedlight, just grabbed the D800 and fired a couple. Had to make sure it worked before leaving eBay feedback. It's in flawless condition - looks like a new lens. The Pekingese is at f1.6, the white fuzzball is at f2.

DSC_4892.jpg

DSC_4889.jpg

And one from in the field, f2.8. I have this same shot in winter with hoarfrost taken with my 50mm f1.8 AI-S. Now I want to get that shot again with this new lens. Already seeing why people pay up to get one.

DSC_4900.jpg

Playing with my new Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 on the Canon 3Ti. I haven't shot in a while & I'm suffering from camera shake. Need more practice!

I'm thinking good thoughts for your father O_W. Best of luck to him.

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

I've got to dig my Canon 2Ti out and start wandering around taking pics. Haven't used it for over 2 years. Also found my old Nikkor 300mm prime that I can mount on my Canon and do Astrophotography with it. Got several prime Nikkors to play with. Nikon F2 has a frozen shutter and not worth the expense to repair. :(

I had just about given up on meteors here last night when I decided to turn the camera sideways and take a few parting shots at the sky. This was the only shot that got anything.

DSC_6013.jpg

Hope some of you are ready for the solar eclipse.

Not. :( He who hesitates ...

Too late to order glasses from Amazon. None left at American Science and Surplus. I might be able to pick up a pair at Morton Arboretum. I'll call today. There are some on Craigslist but those folk are gouging.

I might be able to use an arc welding mask. We're expecting 87% coverage (near Chicago) and I need to see if that's enough to trigger auto-darkening.

Too late to order solar film for the camera from Amazon. The welding supply houses are out. I'll call a guy who did some welding for me and see if he has anything.

I was thrilled yesterday when my new lens arrived - an 80-400 zoom purchased on eBay. It was not purchased for the eclipse but would have been suitable (with a suitable filter.) I was crushed to find it wouldn't manual focus. I guess I'll get to experience eBay buyer protection. My next best option is an 18-200 zoom. But it won't matter if I don't have something to use as a filter.

So the situation is yeah-no. If I live long enough I can be better prepared for the next one in '24. I'll be 70 by then. ;)

We're about a 6 hour drive from totality and had already decided that 87% coverage would be good enough. SWMBO will be at work anyway.

I may view the eclipse with a pinhole camera or just admire the crescents in dappled shade.

Guess where I went this week...

Only had room for two lenses - my 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 flare killer and 20mm f1.8 prime. The 20mm barely got any use at all... I could have left it at home. Sunstars on the 28-70 are the bee's knees.

I was there Wednesday and Thursday. Only on Thursday was I able to stay long enough for the full Saddledome lighting to come on.

DSC_6482.jpg

Okay, I've been out and about with my new camera and I'm loving it so far!
I uploaded a few snaps to Google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7OL6MIZst3YaU9vaWhCWFk3WkE

There's a picture of nothing in there, just the zoom lens fully zoomed out, and I noticed a few orange pixels in it... Bad pixels?
If I take the lens off and look at the mirror, I CAN see a few dust particles on it. I tried blowing them off myself and it helped a bit but not much. Is that cleanable? Also, you guys use Flickr to share photos right?

I have lots to learn - especially about the aperture size, so any tips are welcome :)

f/8, 1/250 sec, 1600 ISO
IMG_3671.jpg

f/8, 1/500 sec, 3200 ISO
IMG_3691.jpg

f/6.3, 1/200 sec, 400 ISO
IMG_3784.jpg

I haven't been doing too much shooting lately, but thought I should get out there when I saw the hoarfrost today. My 85mm f1.4 got this shot, all the way up at f16.

DSC_7055.jpg

Eh... Not a DSLR or anything fancy.... Just a couple cell phone shots from my first 14er.
e0254d2dea07158e6cfa6782faee8f55.jpg
ed3d3d9bfea8d30a158c8b8662394f5a.jpg

Eh... Not a DSLR or anything fancy.... Just a couple cell phone shots from my first 14er
I am not the boss here but AFAIK pictures from any camera are welcome. What matters is the composition and subject matter and thought that went into it.

I like the pictures because it reminds me of the climb to Mount Baldy at Philmont Scout Ranch. (At 12,441 feet I suppose it's a 12er ;) )

- - - Updated - - -

I can now pot the other side of the moon. :D

DSC_4476-1920x1080.JPG

Back