• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^ A good subject to get to understand exposure values and f-number :)

My partner insisted we went all christmass last night... then she wanted a picture or three for memory lane :-/

so knowing it was going to be useless on auto with my phone I switched to manual to mess with the values.

Thanks for the sources, I have a good grasp on f-number now (though not so much in practice) and definitely need to play around with exposure more! First time shooting in manual mode that night, honestly forgot to adjust things until I looked back through the pictures at home. =/ Was chatting with family and eating... Easily distracted with food. =)

If you're using the camera in any of the auto modes, the exposure compensation setting can help with that. Most of my lenses are manual, so I'm in full manual mode pretty much all the time with the display set to show me RGB histograms (you have to enable it specifically in the D5100's menus before it shows you those), so I use those to set my exposures and check for clipping highlights and shadows. The camera's light meter is useless with my manual lenses.

What a sweet shot! Cool colours/scene, everything! Blue in sky versus red in windows look really good.
Like I said ^, first time in manual and I definitely need to play around in manual mode more. I have never used anything but auto, and forgot all the things I can adjust on the spot! I did edit the picture to try and make it look a bit better...

DSC_0103.jpg
Just happy it doesn't look quite so dark now. I was going for the reflection standing out, so that part at least worked out well enough for my liking!

Thanks for the advice you guys, MUCH appreciated!

Leave you off with a different picture, made me laugh thinking is what two weeks away from the first day of winter looks like... In Canada! All our ski hills are open early too...
DSC_0005.jpg
Yes. They are wearing wet suits in the ocean in December. =S

A shadow selfie (look close). Wish I could take credit for that, but it was a total coincidence.

Shot last night in the middle of the night.

DSC_5132.jpg

Last night...

View attachment 172041

If you're using the camera in any of the auto modes, the exposure compensation setting can help with that. Most of my lenses are manual, so I'm in full manual mode pretty much all the time with the display set to show me RGB histograms (you have to enable it specifically in the D5100's menus before it shows you those), so I use those to set my exposures and check for clipping highlights and shadows. The camera's light meter is useless with my manual lenses.

Can we get some EXIF data on this? Looks stunning!

Here's a friend's fiance who is into photography. Amazing to say the least.

bum5okhcpppr2-4-smquttge0lmrqjiuxk2vp8dzl7a-1449620528.jpg

oky8txklbbmtk0qyun6gqtgstmr9shyx2wlbikbghdy-1449620532.jpg

Check out the link for many more.

Source

Edit: To fit the theme, I'll add a video I found and have seen many times. No affiliation with the one from above.

Last edited:
Sometimes you go out and get nothing. Other times, you have a terrible cold, go out anyway, and the stars just line up out of pity.

Taken with the sun right on the horizon to get the orange light on the house and the soft colors in the sky. Hoarfrost too... I doubt I will ever top this shot at this house.

DSC_5399.jpg

If I sit and stare at this image long enough, will I have a close encounter of the third kind?!?

Yes. Yes you will :p

Taken with the sun right on the horizon to get the orange light on the house and the soft colors in the sky. Hoarfrost too... I doubt I will ever top this shot at this house.

I think I agree! Excellent shot, in no small part thanks to your dedication. :)

Probably the only good picture I have ever taken, this was about 5 years ago in the summer at a minor league ballpark during the after game fireworks, it was the only picture that wasnt a blurry mess (out of 100+ pictures)
taken with just a sony point and shoot 12mp digital camera, been using it as my desktop wallpaper ever since
probably wont view correctly since its 1920x1080 in the thread so here is a direct link http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172402&d=1450403132

DSC00271.JPG

Yeah, I messed with the settings on manual before they were on stage and the house lights dimmed.

Screenshot_2015-12-20-23-21-22.png

Shame I don't have anything better than a phone really.
But it was a good venue and fine performance :)

Shot the same day as my last shared image, only in the morning when the hoarfrost was at its best. This is my 50mm AI-S at work, almost wide open at f2... I don't use it often enough lately.

Hope you're not tired of seeing this place... I have one more extra special shot from here done and ready for sharing on Christmas Day.

DSC_5356.jpg

Back