• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot OC Fx-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltdan734

Registered
Hello all, first I'd like to say that I am new here and to overclocking in general so please bear with me. System specs are as follows:
Amd Fx-4170
MSI 970a-G46 mb
Apevia 700w psu
16gb corsair vengeance 1866
His 2gb 256bit ghz edition 7870
Windows 7 ultimate x64
Bios version E7693AMS v1.11
Case NZXT gamma classic
6 120mm case fans 3 pulling in and 3 pushing out.

Ok so I bought this pc from a young guy who I believe built it and didnt quite know how to do anything past putting it together as when I bought it the pc was riddled with drivers issues. I've since straightened out all of the drivers issues and its running great! So anyway I bought the pc with one thing in mind, playing BF3. Which it does, wonderfully I might add but I want to learn to oc as I've heard it's easy with the Fx4170. But alas so far this has not been the case for me. I've tried increasing the multiplier in .5 increments and it only creates more issues at any voltage. If I even look at the multiplier I get frame stutter while playing and it will BSOD within 3-5 minutes of playing. With prime95 I have a core failure immediately. So, I've tried to oc from the base clock. I works considerably better with BF3 but prime95 loses cores after a pass or two. Again this is happening regardless of voltage applied. I've tried the included MSI OC Genie software which cranks the cpu up to 4.7ghz and the cpu heats up immediately. When I did the base clock and multiplier methods I was trying for between 4.4-4.6ghz. I should also add I cannot even oc it to 4.3! I've looked here and googled for about a week now and have only found that everyone seems to be able to oc the cpu but me. Please help a noob out! My target oc is 4.6. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Ltdan welcome to the forums. The first thing you should do, if you haven't already is read this guide. You seem to have some understanding of what you should be doing but maybe it will help you a bit. I do not see if you have an aftermarket heatsink, if you are trying to OC on the stock heatsink it will probably be your limiting factor. With that said a little reality for you, there have been issues with MSI motherboards in the past and the VRM section of it burning up when systems are overclocked on it. I personally have experienced it 2x with the earlier version of your board. I do not know if the issues have been fixed with your version. Another issue I see is that your board only has a 4+1 power phase count, this is an issue with the 6 and 8 series FX cpu's because the board cannot provide enough clean power to the cpu when overclocked. I don't know if this will be an issue with the 4xxx series. I though I would just bring these issues to the table so you would be aware of it.

What you should do, Download Hwmonitor and Cpu-z. Set everything to stock and turn off all the green stuff, cool and quiet etc. Then open HWmonior then run prime for 20 minutes. Post back when you're done with the pics of Hwmonitor under load and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, cpu, spd and memory.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 177
Ltdan welcome to the forums. The first thing you should do, if you haven't already is read this guide. You seem to have some understanding of what you should be doing but maybe it will help you a bit. I do not see if you have an aftermarket heatsink, if you are trying to OC on the stock heatsink it will probably be your limiting factor. With that said a little reality for you, there have been issues with MSI motherboards in the past and the VRM section of it burning up when systems are overclocked on it. I personally have experienced it 2x with the earlier version of your board. I do not know if the issues have been fixed with your version. Another issue I see is that your board only has a 4+1 power phase count, this is an issue with the 6 and 8 series FX cpu's because the board cannot provide enough clean power to the cpu when overclocked. I don't know if this will be an issue with the 4xxx series. I though I would just bring these issues to the table so you would be aware of it

What you should do, Download Hwmonitor and Cpu-z. Set everything to stock and turn off all the green stuff, cool and quiet etc. Then open HWmonior then run prime for 20 minutes. Post back when you're done with the pics of Hwmonitor under load and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, cpu, spd and memory.

Hi and thanks for the response. I'd read some bad things about this board and overclocking and also some good things so I'm just kinda hoping for the best. I'll do hwmonitor tomorrow after work but I should have added that after about 20 or so minutes of prime at stock speedfan reported a temp2 reading of 58c while all others were 40 or so. Like I said ill get that tomorrow. But in the meantime here are my cpu-z screens. Thanks again!

Attachments

• cpuzmain.png
    cpuzmain.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 198
  • cpuzmem.jpg
    cpuzmem.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 187
  • cpuzspd1.png
    cpuzspd1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 175
  • cpuzspd2.png
    cpuzspd2.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 179
what cooler are you using? Can you supply a screen shot of HWMonitor?

EDIT, I see you are posting that tomorrow.

Did you say you were getting failures even at stock clocks? Have you tried running a memtest to see if your RAM is faulty?

EDIT, the stock coolers usually don't take these CPUs very far. If you add any voltage (which you will need to do if you are wanting much of an OC) the heat rises quickly.

Did you say you were getting failures even at stock clocks? Have you tried running a memtest to see if your RAM is faulty?

EDIT, the stock coolers usually don't take these CPUs very far. If you add any voltage (which you will need to do if you are wanting much of an OC) the heat rises quickly.

No failures at stock. Just 58c. Ram is new as of yesterday so it "should" be good. lol I know bad ones get out on occasion. But I had identical results with other 8gb ram kit.
Thanks,
Tim

I think it is a rebranded tx3

If you could, the extra 10 bucks is worth it. If you are willing to spend more there are better ones out there too. Just remember to check the width of your case to ensure those large tower coolers fit.

You should crop those pics so they're not so hugh, you should also manually set the timings so they are at the xmp profile 1866. Report back with the hwmonitor and well go from there. Don't get that cooler, spend the money on at least a coolermaster 212 + or evo it's worth it. That is not a rebranded 212 probably a TX3 like logan said.

Ok so I will order the 212 this weekend. I had kind of planned on that anyway. But im confused as I am losing cores before temps even rise in prime95. Im sorry but also could someone please walk me through setting the ram timings as I am clueless when it comes to that.
Thanks,
Tim

the CPU-Z SPD tab shows the recommeded RAM settings for the specified speeds, just copy those timings and manually set them in the bios.

Here are the timings my ram calls for. Should I set ram timing to these numbers or the ones in spd?
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 20130408_172632.jpg
    20130408_172632.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 164
Those timings seem to be the same as the ones in the SPD tab, unless I am missing something

Currently you are set at 9-11-11-29-45

1. >> How to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

2. >> You write >> but prime95 loses cores after a pass or two. Again this is happening regardless of voltage applied.

Short answer >> We need to see the capture of HWMonitor that was open on desktop and logging the Min/Max Temps and Voltages while P95 Blend mode was running for about 10 mins EVEN if cores drop out. Be sure we are able to see all voltages and down far enough to see "package" temp as it is the new name for Cpu Core Temp.

3. >> Yes you need more cpu cooler. The CM 212+ or EVO variants are cost effective if you have a case that measures at least 7.5 inches from side to side across the top. It takes a case roughly that wide for the CM 212s to stand up off the mobo and still allow the side cover to attach.

4. >> If you cannot get 4.4Ghz stable AT ANY voltage to the cpu; then you have a heat issue you cannot see or the ram is not getting along with the mobo at DDR1866 even though the mobo Auto Set the ram fairly loose. OR the VRM circuit that is supplying the cpu voltage is not worth a crap and the cpu is getting wonky voltage, ergo we need to see the capture of HWMonitor that captured under loads of P95 Blend.
RGone...

Ok so tonight ill work on getting you all the screens of hwmonitor, making the sig, making my pics smaller and ram timing. But I still dont know how to change ram timing in click bios. Sorry for the delays gentlemen but I started this late last night and I gotta work today. :)
Thanks,
Tim.

It'll be in the advanced section of the BIOS look for DRAM timings or similar. Then just look for 9-11-11-29-45 they'll be listed seperately and change them to 9-10-9-27-48 and you'll find something like command rate near the end and set it to 2T

Back