• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot OC Fx-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello again, all! I bet you all thought you'd gotten rid of me. lol Work has been crazy and I had to back burner my efforts for a bit but I'm back at it. Even got around to installing an ssd last weekend and couldn't be happier for it :) So anyhow I decided to start back with the basics. I set optimal defaults and ave only been playng with fsb, multiplier, vcore, and ram speed. I've been running the pc @ 4.5ghz stable for two weeks and decided today to try for 4.6ghz again just for giggles. So anyhow I'm happy to report I've finally got it (I think lol) Had to get a little crazy with the vcore which took me outside of my comfort zone but after about 40 minutes of p95 temps look ok so I guess all is well. Gonna do a 2 hour p95 here in a bit to verify better though. I've got screens to post that will show my ram speed very low. I'd decided to set it at 1333 to kind of take it out of the equation if things were unstable. Anyhow, here are the screens. Oh and Rgone thanks for giving me the necessary push to venture out on my own a bit :)

Attachments

• 46hwsucces.png
    46hwsucces.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 46cpuz.png
    46cpuz.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 46cpuzmem.png
    46cpuzmem.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 46spd.png
    46spd.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That looks good Dan your ram is actually close to 1500. It's cool when you see the results you can achieve on your own.:thup:
If you don't speed the ram up any more with the FSB you could tighten the timings. That's a nice OC I noticed the same ting in my chip. 4.5 to 4.64 took another .07 volts.:salute:

Thanks Johan! I keep forgetting the ram will actually adjust higher with the other settings. I'm happy with the current results and am just looking to the oc gods for approval. You guys catch things in the screens that I still miss.

I was a bit off the ramis at 1432 if you look at the memory tab it's the 716 # just double that . Your NB and HT are both at 2365. Just a suggestion drop your multi by .5 and up the fsb to get back to the 4.6 it may take a little more work but the machine will perform better.

ltdan, you said that the Cpu V core was outside your comfort zone. Was the hwmonitor ss in post 201 the temps during the prime run? They look pretty good, you still have some head room on them.

ltdan, you said that the Cpu V core was outside your comfort zone. Was the hwmonitor ss in post 201 the temps during the prime run? They look pretty good, you still have some head room on them.

Yes sir those temps were during the last minute or so of testing. I did the ss with test still running for accuracy. I worry about the vcore because I'd read a few different places that 1.51 something was the safest max for this cpu. I'm assuming that's a suggestion based on potentially damaging temperatures.

Safe is stock :) Are you looking for it to run 24/7 @ 4.6? I wouldn't run those volts 24/7, though if you are just trying to see if you can get there then it's not a big deal, for me at least. I'm not afraid to throw the V core to my chip though, I've had mine over 1.6. So take it with a grain of salt, I run mine 24/7 at 4.7 @ 1.46 v.

A LOT OF THAT DEPENDS ON TEMPERATURE. See that damn caps lock again it's this laptop I can't stand the keyboard. A combination of temperature and voltage but temp is a bigger factor. Picture the inside of your CPU like pipes. The faster things run through it (voltage) and the hotter things are it speeds up an erosion like process. then eventually it breaks a pipe. Then anoher pipe and so on.

You're fine IMHO but I wouldn't go much higher. Like I said if you Speed up the FSB you'll get the ram closer to operating speed and increase your performance.

good job!!!!
we like to read "hey guys see what i did" it makes all the work worth while.my 4170 takes a lot of vcore to kick it in rump and get it going, the 4170's are just that way.
JOHAN, GET A DESK TOP AND THEN YOU CAN TYPE LIKE this.

"ltdan734", I see you are getting pats on the back for "your" job well done. After helping thousands over the years it still feels the best when the one being helped takes the reins and does his own deal and works it all out. "Those people are the one's whom have learned to overclock and have not just had their rigs tuned by remote control with someone at the other end having to hold their hands every step of the way. That is NOT overclocking. That is using someone else's settings and hoping they work.

I am like Drake and others in that we adjust our Max clock down so that Vcore is not so high for 24/7 use, day in and day out. I have no fear at all of 1.51 Vcore. It just seems a little foolish for 24/7 use. You know what my day in and day out Vcore is? 1.38125Volts.@ 4.2Ghz. When I "played" at above 5.0Ghz the Vcore went up near the 1.6Volts range, but that was for play. No way I intended to stay there. I know better. 4.2Ghz is plenty enough for what I do daily.

We don't give or take points for high cpu speeds. We are far more interested in you gettting your hands dirty and knowing you can succeed on your own. Luck man and congratulations again.
RGone...

I just want to clarify I wasn't suggesting 24/7 operating speeds. I just wanted to see if you could get your 1432 closer to the 1866 speed. You could just bump it up one speed in the bios. and still be under the 1866 rated speed.

If you look at your CPUz MEMORY Tab you will see FSB DRAM 3:10. That means your memory is set to DDR1333 multiplier for the ram. If it was set to 1:4 that would be the DDR1600 base speed and would give a reading in CPUz MEMORY Tab of DRAM Frequency of 860 and FSB DRAM of 1:4. So you would then have your ram at DDR1720 which is closer to the DDR1866 the ram is spec'd to run at. You certainly should see an increase in benchmark performance with raising the ram speed closer to DDR1866.
RGone...

Back