• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot OC Fx-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just thought I would jump in with a little bit of info, I havnt read the whole thread as I'm mobile and it takes like 2 mins to load each page so if this has already been mentioned :rain:

I'm thinking the NB clock you are running is a big ask for the CPU, for some reason when I had a 4100 I could not run the NB at anywhere near phenom ii levels and I was maxing it out around 2200, I know its not pile driver but I just had a quick look on hwbot to clarify and the few results that are listed are all running a lower NB clock on the benchmark that needs the highest NB clock to run at its best, if you drop the NB will it pass p95 ?

I thought I had read somewhere that my nb wasnt any good past 2400. If more voltage doesnt work I'll scale it down some and try it. Thanks for the advice!

It seems like this...

Memory Speed = DDR1840 but at what Voltage? Overclocking is always best first attemped with a lesser ram amount or it is generally so. Maybe 8 gigs in dual channel mode would be a better ram amount to seek first stable overclock and then later add a full or greater ram amount.

CPU Vcore showing in HWMonitor as Current = 1.520V and Max = 1.520V
CPU_NB Voltage equals how much? Raised a "bump" does not specifcally tell what is the voltage.
Memory Voltage is how much?

Let me see if can bring the "entire happening" into focus and put the "eternal" desire for more into persepctive.

1. 4.59Ghz at 1.520Vcore is about the highest one would wish to have on air-cooling. Probably more voltage to the cpu than one would normally expect to have to use to get to 4.6Ghz but it takes what it takes.

2. CPU_NB = 2530Mhz CPU_NB Voltage equals how much? Higher CPU_NB can bring a little more performance in benchmarks and maybe some smaller performance increase in daily things, but most likely will go un-noticed. AMD says that 1.35Volts to the CPU_NB is okay on air. But we don't know what is being used. A "bump" does not tell us the voltage in use.

3. CPU_NB = 2530Mhz is often seen as a very good speed for DDR1866 ram. BUT stable is better than a higher CPU_NB Freq. That means if someone has read that CPU_NB higher than 2400Mhz is pretty useless, then one should TRY the lower CPU_NB setting and see if the system becomes more stable. See if the core dropping out no longer drops out.

In the long run it is at the actual keyboard attached to the system in question, where the real adjustments, must be tested and verified. Trying to setup a system by forum posts is very time consuming and in the end will have to be completed at the user's end and keyboard.

Getting a better cpu cooler is a good idea always. But the temps at 4.6Ghz even now are NOT out of line. In fact the temps are pretty darn good right now. It would make good sense to realize that situation now.

All the above comes directly from the informaton the OP is showing in his posts. What I see above and knowing what users like C_D have for cooling and what they have posted in this forum >> 4.4Ghz is plenty for now.
A. I would be testing a lower CPU_NB.
B. I would also test slower ram speed.
C. I would also test a lower CPU speed.

In other words get to an overclocked speed that is ACTUALLY stable. Post all 4 of the requested pics/captures so that all the voltages and speeds are known. Any voltge not shown by HWMonitor should be listed in the post with all the captures. Now there are the suggestions. The doing must come at the keyboard end attached to the system in question. WE in a forum do not have to say "yes" to anything that is tried within reason. Most especially if a slowing brings on the needed stability.

I am going to say this because it is the truth and illustrates what I am saying. I had read and helped users with the new FX processors for 10mos before actually getting an FX processor. When my super CHV motherboard came and a used FX-8120 I put it all together under "super-cooling" and the first cpu speed I booted at was 4.3Ghz as I remember it. Stable in less than 25 mins. I did not post anything asking for help. I had written 100's of helps to other users over a 10 month period. I had helped those FX users with information "found" in other forums and posts. In other words, the gathering of information was the first requirement. That gathered information input at my keyboard and the good motherboard and cooling was all that was needed and the time to do the job of reaching 4.3Ghz at first boot into windows as done in less than a half hour. Information is key. Implementing the information in logical order at the keyboard is quicker than waiting on posts back and forth in a forum.
RGone...

+ Rgone.
if the lower cpu/nb speed helps then that the speed to use.
I just like to run with everything giving all it can. you have to find the limits.

+ Rgone.
if the lower cpu/nb speed helps then that the speed to use.
I just like to run with everything giving all it can. you have to find the limits.

Heck yeah, get all you can. But this thread is in 9 pages now and a worker is still dropping out and the OP is seemingly just adjusting as guided. That is why I am trying to point out that he can and likely should reduce things and get something proven to be stable and then work out from there. Or make that work up from there.

I mean you know how I run my CPU_NB and HT. They are the ones I have both written and posted numerous times in the forum. 2550 to 2610Mhz for both CPU_NB and HT Freq. But I have pretty darn good cooling and freeken good ram. And likely a good cpu and board. Plus I adjusted, tested and adjusted again as I increased the frequency of those two items.

I have read this thread thru once and page #8 before I posted above. If I am remembering accurately, I don't think we have seen any verified stable speed. No baseline. That can mean we are just aiming into space. Like I said as I remember a 9 page thread.
RGone...

I had wanted him to stop at 4.6 and get it p95 for two hours to watch for temp scaleing.
on air i suspect that is what we will see, thats why we have not upped the cpu speed.

and you are correct on all points.

I had wanted him to stop at 4.6 and get it p95 for two hours to watch for temp scaleing.
on air i suspect that is what we will see, thats why we have not upped the cpu speed.

and you are correct on all points.
This was the intention. 4.6 no more. My comment regarding wondering how far it could go was nothing more than that, a comment.

you can take it as high as you like. we need to see where we are as far as stable goes.
I have taken my 4170 to 5.1 or 5.2, the thread is around here someplace.
this spot is just a pause to catch up with ourselves and see if we are ready for more.

Heck yeah, get all you can. But this thread is in 9 pages now and a worker is still dropping out and the OP is seemingly just adjusting as guided. That is why I am trying to point out that he can and likely should reduce things and get something proven to be stable and then work out from there. Or make that work up from there.

I mean you know how I run my CPU_NB and HT. They are the ones I have both written and posted numerous times in the forum. 2550 to 2610Mhz for both CPU_NB and HT Freq. But I have pretty darn good cooling and freeken good ram. And likely a good cpu and board. Plus I adjusted, tested and adjusted again as I increased the frequency of those two items.

I have read this thread thru once and page #8 before I posted above. If I am remembering accurately, I don't think we have seen any verified stable speed. No baseline. That can mean we are just aiming into space. Like I said as I remember a 9 page thread.
RGone...

Adjusting as guided? Yes indeed. Once the decision to go to 4.6 was made I knew I was entering into areas I wasn't comfortable making decisions about. I say this because when things were set at 4.5 nearly all adjustments were still being run on auto. And as for 4.5 apparently I omitted some information. That scenario was run on p95 for a couple hours one night with no issue. I'd forgotten to post that up. My fault! Have I done my research? Yes and no. I've done quite a bit of reading and watched a bunch of videos before I came here. I guess I'd just felt as if I'd wanted a resource to fall back on as opposed to flying solo, messing things up, researching google for countless hours and trying again. lol At a few points I'd started to question things here based on prior research for example cpu voltage, I asked several times regarding it as I'd read elsewhere that 1.5195 was considered highest safest voltage for this cpu yet here we were potentially pushing forward. Fact is I'd been asking questions I already knew the answers to in some cases after being advised. Why? Who am I come here asking for help and then challenging the advice! That's why. Your sandbox, I'm just visiting if ya know what I mean.

Long story short, I'd expected this post was coming soon after reading some of your responses and picking up on your aggravation. I'm sorry if you or anyone else feels as if they're time has been wasted at all as that was never the intention. For me this has been a good and enjoyable learning experience to this point and I am grateful for any and all contributions the kind folks here have made.

(I apologize for the wall o text my punctuation is terrible)

you can take it as high as you like. we need to see where we are as far as stable goes.
I have taken my 4170 to 5.1 or 5.2, the thread is around here someplace.
this spot is just a pause to catch up with ourselves and see if we are ready for more.
Completely understood :)

we love a wall-o-text. this is not just a few peoples forum it's everybodys forum, we all just come and go at our own will and do as we will.

1.5whatever voltage is fine for a limit we have our own gear we each paid for. I surly set my own limits please set yours.
we each have limits for our gear and we each have limits for what we will do with others gear.

C_D >> I forgot that line about the "Trained Rodeo Clowns". I laughed back then I just laughed again. Often I feel like at least a trained seal after doing the same thing over and over again.

@ltdan734, angry NO. Frustrated maybe some. At you? Not sure really. Maybe some. However I can tell you I am very frustrated with an MSI motherboard. I hit on some links IN the MSI forum suggesting that G46 board was not very suitable for FX processors. I said nothing hoping the 4 core might make it beyond muster. And it has. You were stable you say (not shown to us) at 4.5GHz. Seems all was on Auto. The scoop around here is that 4.3GHz is a plenty. Sure we all go for the gusto but those ultra speeds can bring with them more than we bargain for. Just the MSI board could be running out of steam beyond 4.5Ghz. Most of the cheap boards around here run out at about 4.3 Ghz. Your 4.5Ghz that was stable is beyond what most get anyway. So maybe a return to 4.5Ghz and the hours of stable and making sure it is at the least 2 hours or P95 Blend mode stable is a very good idea.

Get your cooler. Play in the bios and see what the heck is what and where. Bump the cpu voltage around manually and see what temps are what. You go over and see that link C_D put up and you will drop your teeth at the Vcore HE is willing to use. Remember that we don't suggest this, since we are Trained Rodeo Clowns. Hehehe.
RGone...

Hang in there ltdan! these guys are amazing at what they do and the help they can Give is top notch. I was in the same. Boat a. Few months ago. With a FX4100 and with a bunch of research and everyones. Help I was able to hit 4.5 easy (thanks guys!). Keep at it and you'll be happy as a pig in **** with your FX.

Yes "SubPar", I went back and looked up your thread on the MOBO > M5A97 R2.0 bios ver 1503 and you had a good signature back then. Hehehe. Where did your signature go?

That Asus mobo you had just barely got you by with a fairly good overclock. I mean when you consider the base cpu speed and not all cores on all the time to 4.4Ghz or so with ALL 4 cores on all the time, that is a load on the boards that engineers just did not take into account well. I take that back and maybe they did. All the mobo companies besides MSI make good boards over 150 dollars. I would not want just any of the over 150 dollar boards but those type boards bring some muscle to the table for sure. Go look at HWBot where the users put up their benchmark scores. You do not see a single cheap board in the listing. There are more Asus CHV and CHV-z boards than all the rest of the Asus and other brands put together. Those are the key things I use as buy indicators if I plan to overclock at all and do so 24-7. My processors as far as I know have never once booted at default speeds. Today when I have an error from pushing to far the booting speed is still nearly 4.0Ghz because the bios does not lose all the settings. Just life in the fast lane I guess.

Good luck to you SubPar. Happy computering.
RGone...

Lol stupid mobile phone posting :bang head
i think i got lucky with my board or more likely its going to melt alot sooner than i hope :D

Lol stupid mobile phone posting :bang head
i think i got lucky with my board or more likely its going to melt alot sooner than i hope :D

Yes I see forums all over that say posted from mobile whatever but this forum does not do so. Humh?

I have seen one user in the AMD mobo section that did melt his M5A97 with FX processor and he admitted he expected it to do so since he was pushing it. But so far only one.

How many have moved up to the better boards in a year that come in here regular? Nearly two hands full now if counting is accurate. They just flat-out wanted more speed. They got it, but now without board and some real cooling.

There are always that one or two that do not 'fit' the mold, but I don't know of any that post in here regular and have setups that run over 4.5Ghz day in and day out that do not have at least $250.00 in there cooling. Priming at plus 5.0Ghz or so, takes serious Vcore and thus dang heavy duty cooling.

Bassnut, mandrake4565, Caddi Daddi, old brave, Johan45 and myself are some that I can think of easily and none of those but Johan45 are not running serious water cooling loops. As regards Johan45, he has tweaked the ever-loving crap out of his cooling to make it work. Point is none of the big numbers with FX processors are done with minimal cooling. Not at all.

Truth is that 4.2 or maybe 4.4Ghz is plenty on a Vishera processor. Now that said when I do my video editting, I jump to my stable 4.8Ghz speed setting because I can and it is faster than 4.4Ghz. Not a lot but some. I can do it so why not? So i do.

FX processors draw way too much power for the performance they give in return. Thus they run way too hot. Especially hot when pushed and voltage to the cpu is necessarily increased.

I am typing right now on an Intel rig running 8 cores in Hyper-Threading mode at 3.6Ghz I think it is and i just opened Open Hardware Monitor and my cpu core temps are 36c and the cooler is only a single 92mm Xigmatec cooler. That is a $30.00 cooler against the over $250.00 it takes for me to run over 4.5Ghz on my FX-8350. By the way this older Intel rig will do over 4.0Ghz P95 stable using this same cpu cooler. So how hot something runs is a definite consideration and something AMD should have fixed and not just made the dang cpu overclockable but still behind Intel in gaming because of IPC.

Crap too much rambling.
RGone...

How many have moved up to the better boards in a year that come in here regular? Nearly two hands full now if counting is accurate. They just flat-out wanted more speed. They got it, but now without board and some real cooling.

Bassnut, mandrake4565, Caddi Daddi, old brave, Johan45 and myself are some that I can think of easily and none of those but Johan45 are not running serious water cooling loops. As regards Johan45, he has tweaked the ever-loving crap out of his cooling to make it work. Point is none of the big numbers with FX processors are done with minimal cooling. Not at all.

RGone...

Yepper! I replaced my M5A99FX with the Sabretooth in less that a month . I wasn't happy with the results I was getting. Then another month fiddling with the cooling. The TT AIO cooler actually works pretty good if it's set up properly. I'm giving the old girl a break after a 2 week bender with F@H 24/7, It performed admirably I might add. And I still have 6 days to do my taxes. Whoopee:cry:

I am typing right now on an Intel rig running 8 cores in Hyper-Threading mode at 3.6Ghz
What the, that is news to me! What chip is that Rgone?
I'm giving the old girl a break after a 2 week bender with F@H 24/7
Break, we don't need no stinking breaks, but it's safe to say our rigs are stable after folding for 10 days straight. :thup:

Back