• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot OC Fx-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And I thought the "Helion" was something Judas Priest made up. Hmph

Ok so I already have dram set to manual and link in order to run my ram at 1866 I had to do this. Ive looked all in the manual ram settings under the oc tab and did not see anything regarding a multiplier or ratio. I will look again after work today. Thanks

LOL that's exactly what I was thinking about when I said that. :p

Always in focus
You cant feel my stare
I zoom into you
You dont know Im there

Ok so I already have dram set to manual and link in order to run my ram at 1866 I had to do this. Ive looked all in the manual ram settings under the oc tab and did not see anything regarding a multiplier or ratio. I will look again after work today. Thanks
What about "advanced Dram configuration"?

Nope didnt see it there. Thats where I set my ram timing. Any other name it might be called?

No idea, I'm not familiar with that BIOS but it has to be there somewhere, just click on everything :p

Could you not just set it to 1600 no ratio just frequency? Well it would probably say around 1700 right now

Last edited:
LOL that's exactly what I was thinking about when I said that. :p

Always in focus
You cant feel my stare
I zoom into you
You dont know Im there
I knew something was messed up but that's just uncanny:chair:

This is copied from page #51 of your motherboard manual in V2.0 and downloaded from MSI. Crap on MSI for n0t showing the bios pics that correspond to the bios settings like most manuals do.

So the manual claims there is a way to change the ram speed and a location that shows the ram speed. Two ram speed related areas in the bios not just the timings. The odd characters are because I copied this from the .pdf manual.

Important

Ths CPU core unlocked behavor depends on the CPU ablty/ characterstc, and t
s not guaranteed.
Depend on CPU’s characterstc, once you get nstable scenaro, please restore the
default settngs for system.
You can also check the core numbers n performance tab of Wndows task
manager.
CPU Core Control
Ths tem allows you to select the number of actve processor cores.

DRAM Frequency
Ths tem allows you to adjust the DRAM frequency. Please note the overclockng

behavor s not guaranteed.
Adjusted DRAM Frequency

It shows the adjusted DRAM frequency. Read-only.

Ok guys here is a pic of my advanced ram screen. I see no ratio or multiplier adjustment. Please advise.

Attachments

• 20130418_173458.jpg
    20130418_173458.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 18
Nope that's timings. Right under the core unlocker there was a Ram frequency or something on auto did you try to get it to manual? Look for your multi or frequency undr it when you get it to manual

According to the POS MSI manual, the ram speed will not be where the timings page is but on an earlier page.

The ram frequency is on the front page not in the advanced. This has already been set to 1866. However it was suggested that I lower the dram multiplier which is quite elusive. Am I being sent on some kind of snipe hunt as a rite of passage? Lol but seriously ram frequency is the only option I've found as of yet.

It was on the oc page I think right under the core unlocker that was a few hours ago and a different comp so I don't have your manual handy.
If you have your manual it was in the bios section under the oc options

This has already been set to 1866. = Earlier you said that, but did you set such by hand? If you set "A" speed then you changed the ram multiplier or you could n0t have changed the speed of the ram. We cannot see the bios of your board or not well. That is why it so critical you get a handle on what the terms mean. Ram speed changed by user is ram multiplier changed.
RGone...

No pic I know it said OC genie or something but does it do an auto oc if you select that or will it let you change things? save a profile though in case it changes things on you

having pic issues gimme a second. sorry. Rgone!!! Thanks for the explanation. This is why I was asking what else ram speed might be referred to earlier in the thread. Im trying! LOL Ok so now that We have clarified what I am looking at what speed should I set ram to to best promote stability after htt/nb/fsb increase? Right now it's at 1866 with and "adjusted" frequency of 2095.
Thanks!

Ok so now I am at 230x20 for 4.6. I dropped ram to 1600 with an adjusted of 18 something. I aligned the nb and htt link at 2530 and am testing in p95 now. Screens to come shortly.

it's DRAM Frequency you are looking for, 1600 will hold you back some when you put it to work. set it to 1866.

But I thought we had all agreed having the ram at 1866 was causing the instability last night?

Back