• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot OC Fx-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the next step is to up the multi by .5 and retest for 30 mins, posting the snip to include, h w monitor, cpu-z cpu tab and memory tab with prime 95 still open.

Ok so I upped by .5. However I forgot to go into bios and turn off turbo and green options. Ran prime for 20 minutes and tmpin1 was holding strong at 58c then suddenly spiked to 90c so I shut it all down. Here is the hwmonitor.

Attachments

• 43ghz.png
    43ghz.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 45
Not to mention tmpin2 hitting 128c out of the blue. It was in am instant. Ill do it again tomorrow but from bios instead of control center.

Not to mention tmpin2 hitting 128c out of the blue. It was in am instant. Ill do it again tomorrow but from bios instead of control center.

Many are the number of people that have experienced disappointment and frustration using "wizards' and 'genies' to overclock instead of manually adjusting settings from bios. People have done most of their overclocking from bios but load "suites" the motherboard companies themselves have for monitoring and also adjusting but used stictly in a monitoring sense, the results can be wonky.

So if you have a 'suite' or program doing the monitoring and HWMonitor is trying to read the same reporting location or is interupted in its monitoring, then you get jacked-up, fake readings or it most certainly is possible and has been experienced by too too many.
RGone...

what Rgone really means is uninstall that overclocking software right now or you are headed to some heartache in a hurry for no reason.

the tmpin2 at 128c is false and most likely tmpin 2 at 90c.

:thup: These 2 are right that software will cause problems.

Good morning everyone! I went into bios and turned off cnc and green features along with turbo. I also bumped the multiplier by .5 from there as well. Doing things the right way lol. Last night I was feeling lazy and it showed in the end results. Anyhow, here are the new temps and cpu-z.
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 43ghzcorrect.png
    43ghzcorrect.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 40
  • cpuz43.png
    cpuz43.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 40
Looks good so far. Have you set your NB and HT or are they on auto. Cause we'll want to raise the FSB at some point as well. You still have room but it seems weird that your core and cpu temps are so far apart.
EDIT: It makes more sense I just checked your board again. That VRM is getting hot. You don't have your cooler in your sig?

I'm sorry just installed the cooler last night and forgot to do that. I have the hyper 212 plus. Also please forgive my ignorance but which is vrm?

Last edited:
It's the power regulation section of the board. Here's yours
untitledboard.png
The second pic is my power section. See how many more squares and caps I have.
Mine is 8+2 where yours is 4+1.
Your CPU is 125W and your board is struggling to feed it. If you can get some air blowing on that section it should bring the temps down

Attachments

• 01-big-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2.jpg
    01-big-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 40
It's the power regulation section of the board. Here's yours
View attachment 126467
The second pic is my power section. See how many more squares and caps I have.
Mine is 8+2 where yours is 4+1.
Your CPU is 125W and your board is struggling to feed it. If you can get some air blowing on that section it should bring the temps down

Ok cool thanks! I can flip a fan and cool those easily. :)

Ok so I flipped the fan to blow over the vrm instead of exhaust. I was feeling adventurous and went to 4.5 ghz (210x21.5) here are the results after 20 min of p95. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 45ghzfanflip.png
    45ghzfanflip.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 45ghzfanflip2.png
    45ghzfanflip2.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 45ghzfanflip3.png
    45ghzfanflip3.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 40
Well that did improve it some you package went up 4° but the Socket stay at 59. Just watch that it doesn't get over 70°
I would suggest you put yourNB up one notch. It will work better if it's at par or faster than the HT. But keep going in little steps . If you find it gets unstable add some more power. Just keep an eye on the temps. If you find the speeed fluctuating alot that will be the MOBO cutting power to protect itself. If you could mount a fam behind the CPU socket that would help too.

Ok will adjust nb. But please define ht so I know what I'm matching. Thanks!! Also ive hit the wall at my target speed 4.6ghz. In p95 it drops a single core immediately but I am still on auto voltage.

The hyper transport link and northbridge frequency. Sounds like they're on auto too. Have you read through the bulldozer oc guide yet ? It's under the sticky in the AMD CPU section. Have you set an offset voltage or not?

Admittedly I've only read part of the guide. I will finish it at some point today. Yes nb and ht were both still on auto and no I have not set an offset voltage yet. I was hoping to not have to play with voltage but if I have to to make my target of 4.6 I will :)

Also when things are on auto the mobo tends to use too much voltage so you may actually see a temperature improvement.

thats a nice clock, it's right in line with my 4170, you even have headroom in the temps,

congrats!!!!

Back