• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot OC Fx-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys. So i bumped my nb up a bit same with my htt. All has been well at 4.5ghz as of now. Been running p95 off and on and my temps have been remaining low. As of now I believe 4.5 is a success. So today I tried for 4.6 with manual voltage. Everything I've tried has resulted in a lost core in p95 in under 3 minutes. I've taken the voltage up to 1.474 and started at 1.40 as the pc tends to stay at 1.40-1.47 in auto mode (stock speeds and 4.5oc as well). I've read that a single core drop means not enough voltage but I'm scared to go any higher. What are your thoughts? Thanks for all the help folks!!
Tim

Oh and my temps are very low too.

your at 59 and 40, a bump in vcore is needed and ok at those temps.

Actually I got it dopwn to 50 and 40 :) It always helps to plug in ALL of the fans when piecing things back together lol. My idiocy aside, how high can I try the voltage at in search of 4.6?
Thanks
Tim

till the 50 temp gets up to 70 or, the 40 temp reaches 60.
do it one bump at a time.

and as far as failing the stupid test.......... we do.

Ok so I'm at 1.479 volts and still having a core failure in p95 but when I go to 1.480 if I load speedfan or hwmonitor the multiplier reduces itself from 22 down to 21.5. What am I doing wrong?

ok, your good at 1.479 on the vcore right?
dropping one core at that?
lets try the side door a little.
try raising the cpu/nb voltage 2 bumps, give it a whirl and post, hw monitor, cpu-z cpu and memory tab.

try raising the cpu/nb voltage 2 bumps, give it a whirl and post, hw monitor, cpu-z cpu and memory tab.

Thanks for all the help tonight. Im going to call it a night for now and play some bf3 as I'm getting irritated. I'll try this tomorrow and report back.
Tim

Ok sitting down to try this now. Here's my dilemma though I currently have cpu-nb set to auto so where do I start my baseline from to bump two notches? Also I set vcore to 1.504 and ran p95 just now and it was fine until I got an error code stating "hardware failure expected result was 00000000 actual result was 54030992" (im sure its worded differently but you get the idea lol) What do I make of this message? Google has returned nothing.
Thanks
Tim

That's always the answer. :rofl:
Ludicrous speed :attn:

I'm watching temps very closely as I'm rather nervous about all of this. Here are my screens after bumping vcore to 1.52 and running p95 for 20 minutes. No cores dropped this time either :) Let me know whats next oc gods!
thanks!

Attachments

• 46success.png
    46success.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 46cpu.png
    46cpu.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 46mem.png
    46mem.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The answer is always more power where C_D is concerned and the ludicrous speed refers to Spaceballs. Any way your temps look good.
We should fix that ram thing though. Did you raise thNB like C_D suggested? Put the ram back to speed and raise the CPU_NB voltage a couple bumps like the man said.

The answer is always more power where C_D is concerned and the ludicrous speed refers to Spaceballs. Any way your temps look good.
We should fix that ram thing though. Did you raise thNB like C_D suggested? Put the ram back to speed and raise the CPU_NB voltage a couple bumps like the man said.
Yeah Im a spaceballs fan myself so I'd caught that lol. Now for the other cpu_nb voltage, its at auto, where do I start? Also is it safe to run the cpu voltage this high? I thought I had read somewhere that 1.52 was the absolute most you should give an fx chip?

START THE CPU/NB VOLTAGE AT ABOUT 1.35.
AND GET THAT DANG RAM TO AT LEAST 1866
(CAPS FOR JOHAN45)

I want a steamy little jewish princess..... la,la,la,......with titanic tits and sandblasted zits,( NO!!, that's frank zappa.......why do i get zappa and spaceballs all mixed up)?

Last edited:
START THE CPU/NB VOLTAGE AT ABOUT 1.35.
AND GET THAT DANG RAM TO AT LEAST 1866
(CAPS FOR JOHAN45)

**** I should have mentioned I already got the ram back right. I must have changed it accidentally. When I set cpu_nb here in a sec do I leave vcore at 1.52 or can I back it off to where I was having a single core failure?

Back