• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help to build a new PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It might sound strange, but I most likely will not change the router itself.

Thank you for the link, but $179 is too expansive for home use. I think that thing can power the whole neighborhood with WIFI.

Will I have to change a lot of things on the server computer if I change the router?

No. But you would want to disable the wireless mode on the existing cable provider's gateway device and just use if as a modem. The new router would just connect to a port on the existing gateway device via a short ethernet cable.

I can not change the router, cause I live at the moment in a friend's house. I would use a cable conection, if it was my house. Though, I will most likely move soon, but for now I need a solution. I want a relatively fast Internet, so that I can play and probably stream. In this house we have Comcast.
This is that router.
QxaMKit.jpg
7rZLMPr.jpg
f0AXkyf.jpg

I found several of these outlets in the house. Is it an Internet or this is a phone?
i9RFucD.jpg

And these are the parts that I've received.:):)
NWkuyde.jpg
rnXAYRL.jpg
N8L9E70.jpg

Ah, the router is only wireless G. Your friend needs to upgrade to wireless N then.

Use BPL (Broadband over power line) from the modem or router to your PC. Just get 2 BPL adapters. It'll be faster.

I would like, but I do not know if I have a cable downstairs.(( I will try to make pictures of all the cables near the TV in my room, because I do not know how broadband cable might look. There are a lot of cables there, but I hope there will be one with Internet.

I would like, but I do not know if I have a cable downstairs.(( I will try to make pictures of all the cables near the TV in my room, because I do not know how broadband cable might look. There are a lot of cables there, but I hope there will be one with Internet.

For BPL all you need are common household electrical outlets. You plug one into the wall where the modem/router is and you plug the other one into the wall next to your desktop and run short cables. That's it.

I've uses several BPL kits and have had mixed results. It pays to research them. They vary tremendously in their quality and effectiveness and with the length of the circuit as represented by the household wiring. The more house wiring that stands between the two units of the pair the more unreliable they are. Also, the two units of the BPL kit must be on circuits serviced by the same breaker box.

Does any of these cables look like an Internet cable? Thank you in advance.
nQsUdeZ.jpg
dumEhbn.jpg
soQ39lw.jpg

Your first and 2nd picture would be coaxial cables (used for cable OR cable internet. Im not sure if the lines are joint or separate?)

The third picture is RCA cables for audio/sound for dvd or video game systems.

Your first and 2nd picture would be coaxial cables (used for cable OR cable internet. Im not sure if the lines are joint or separate?)

The third picture is RCA cables for audio/sound for dvd or video game systems.

1) Does it happens that one cable can transmit cable television and Internet?
2) How to check whether they are joined or not?
3)How to check if that cable with a blue ring around the metal coax is working? Because the owner of the house recently switched from DirectTV to Comcast and that cable might be a dead DirectTV cable.

Edited.
On the first picture the cable is connected to the TV tuner.

Nice joke. It might be funny for someone, but not for me.) I am serious as never before.

You can only have 1 modem per internet connection. If you have a comcast account, you get 1 modem. That's it.

This is true. The internet and the TV enter the house on the same (it carries both signals) cable but the modem interprets the signal it needs and the TV set top boxes interpret the signal they need. The TV signal can be split so that you can have several TVs in the same household but the internet signal cannot split and shared by more than one modem. It can be split downstream from the modem, however so that multiple computers can use the same internet feed in the same household. That's what routers with switches do via either ethernet or WIFI.

Back