• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help to build a new PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But what will happen If I connect modem to the cable downstairs?

Dude, we're not comcast agents, and we don't live in your house. First off, make sure you're not screwing with someone elses stuff, and 2nd off, if you don't know what you're doing you really need to call the cable company.

Moving boxes may be a simple task, or it might not. For my charter services, I get internet connection on one cable only. I can not move the modem around the house as I see fit.

Ok. I understood. I just did not want to be charged by Comcast extra time for them comming.
And the thing is that I am not doing anything until I find out everything I can.)) Thus, I will not make mistakes.

But what will happen If I connect modem to the cable downstairs?

That should be fine as long as there is not already a modem in front of it. Doesn't matter where you put the modem as long as there is only one on the coax line. But don't confuse modems with routers. Modems decode signals. Routers send the decoded signal to the right place. Switches enable more than one computer to share the same connection to the internet. Most cable companies now supply you with a "gateway" device that combines all three functions. And most aftermarket routers combine the router function with the switching function.

Last edited:
I thought router is only for wi-fi, and that modem decodes and then I can connect my computer to my modem directly. Do I neceserely need router?

My scheme: Motherboard>cable>modem>internet cable.

I thought router is only for wi-fi, and that modem decodes and then I can connect my computer to my modem directly. Do I neceserely need router?

Yes that works but if other people in the house need the wifi router you will need to go through it. With a wired connection it'll perform the same.
Don't move the modem. In many cases only a specific coax jack has been setup to support the modem and the wrong signal will be coming out of other jacks.

You can connect your computer directly to the gateway device because most of them nowadays combine modem, router and switch functions in the same box. But if you want to add a second access point in a different part of the house then you could connect another router via one of the ethernet ports on the gateway device. This is handy when the gateway device doesn't broadcast a wireless signal that is strong enough to effective reach the whole living area. The same thing can also be done via a powerline network adapter which uses the house's wiring as a substitute for ethernet cable. A powerline network adapter uses the household wiring both for power and data transfer. Some powerline network adapters offer only a wired ethernet connection (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...erline_network_adapter-_-33-181-295-_-Product) but some offer both ethernet and WIFI (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...erline_network_adapter-_-33-122-388-_-Product). With the first kind, however, you can connect a WIFI router to the ethernet port.

Last edited:
How safe is BPL? I just realized that the whole neighborhood is connected to the house power wire network. I saw buttons "encryption" on BPL adapters. Does that solve the problem?
Also about prices. Why some of them are $29 and others are $75+?

Last edited:
How safe is BPL? I just realized that the whole neighborhood is connected the house power wire network. I saw buttons "encryption" on BPL adapters. Does that solve the problem?
Also about prices. Why some of them are $29 and others are $75+?

Y ou get what you pay for. They only work on the SAME BREAKER BOX. Johnny and Suzy next door can not see your network.

But BPL will only work if the satellite unit(s) and the base unit are on the same circuit. If the outlets in your apartment are not all behind the same breaker box it won't work. Does your apartment have it's own breaker box?

Why so many BPL adapters are sold alone if you need two at least? Is there any use for a single adapter?

Last edited:
Why so many BPL adapters are sold alone if you need 2 atleast?

Because there are people who want to add a second satellite unit after buying a kit with a pair so that there is a third member to the kit.

But BPL will only work if the satellite unit(s) and the base unit are on the same circuit. If the outlets in your apartment are not all behind the same breaker box it won't work. Does your apartment have it's own breaker box?

Do you mean this thing?
jmrfIJM.jpg

Update on Items that came:
Do HDD come just in plastic bags not in boxes? I just want to make sure that this WD Blue drive is not a refurbished item.
be47Mgk.jpg
uTkFYEy.jpg
cwBU3DS.jpg
PGaoSid.jpg

I think that the whole house is powered via the breaker box on the picture above.
P.S.
How to hide pictures under spoiler on this forum?

Back