• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Drive failure after Win 10 rollback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
I got this popup screen after rolling back Win 10 to last version, I don't hear any bad noise coming from the PC, so I don't think anything is realy bad.

drivefail.jpg

Now is this something I need to take care of or ignore and find a way to stop it from popping up?

Last edited:
I'd go through normal troubleshooting.... like get SMART info off the drive and see what it tells you.:)

Also look in your event viewer to see if something precipitated the notification.

Why'd you roll w10 back?

Well, this morning I turn on the PC and it starts running updates, after it gets to 48% it crashes and reboots. After that it tries to recover but can't, so I reinstalled windows from scratch and all is good.

I did order a new HDD incase this 1 does die.

Ok.

I'd still check SMART data on the drive and see (I would have done that before buying a HDD - could have just been a borked Windows update/roll back - still not sure what or why, but.....)

Ok.

I'd still check SMART data on the drive and see (I would have done that before buying a HDD - could have just been a borked Windows update/roll back - still not sure what or why, but.....)

I'm sure it was borked by the roll back and update, the PC it's in I gave to 1 of my sisters a few years back and she asked me about 2 or 3 weeks ago if I would want it back so I have it now, I know it was not used much if at all so it can't be worn out.
I do plan on checking the S.M.A.R.T info.

OK, it is the drive that reported it was going to fail and not a glitch with Win 10, I got the popup again to day and this time I looked at the logs, the SMART on the drive told the OS "Hey, I'm about to poop my pants, replace me" (ok not in those words but you get the picture) :rofl:
So I was right to order a new drive :thup:

Glad you took the time to check the SMART data. It's one of the FIRST things I look at if I suspect a drive going bad. :)

Back