• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible unlock of superlock procs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bulk88 said:

Not by CPUMSR. The most you can hope for is a invisble driver that loads everytime windows loads. Also try looking into AMD's powernow applet. I dont have the link for it but its on amd's site somewhere. It shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a xp-to-mob and a real mob.

My program now allows for command-line parameters, so it is possible to use it to set multiplier during Windows start.

The Coolest said:
So does blasting the bridges work, or does it mess them up? I've heard that for L6 the old blasting technique might screw up the bridge permanently

I'd be real happy to get an answer here if possible, I would rather blast the bridge than cut it, but if it will screw it up then I won't risk it and just take my chances with a xaco knife

So, what about the NF2 mobos?

Is there any progress? Are we able to unlock the cpus in NF2 mobos?

What is being done to crack it?

[]z

There was one single case reported but it is doubtful since no one else was able to do it on nForce2s.

If you mean a hacked BIOS for nForce2, I don't think anyone here is working on anything like that.

The Coolest said:

I'd be real happy to get an answer here if possible, I would rather blast the bridge than cut it, but if it will screw it up then I won't risk it and just take my chances with a xaco knife
Well there is a 40% chance the bridge will partially blow. On a fully connected bridge it is zero ohms. On a partially blown it is 3-6 ohms (cant remembr exact #, from memeory), but it still reads as connected to the proc. On a fully blown it is infinity and is disconnected to the proc.

For some reason the 5th bridge, the 12.5x and below or 13x and higher bridge, is the one that this likes to happen on the most. no clue why. One you have a partially blasted it WILL NOT further blast or spark or connect. I haven't done anything to try and fix it (will probabaly have to cut). Last time I nearly killed the proc by pushing the probes into the ground layer below and creating a rice grain sized radius of burned plastic. The probes melted into the bridges. The proc did work after that, and that *OD *AMN M. F. *ON OF A **TCH BRIDGE STILL WAS CONNECTED. I tried to attack it with a razor and killed the proc.

Chuck232 said:
So how would one go about setting it to start at a certain multiplier?

Thanks.

This is how I do it.

Note: it involves manually editing your registry, so beware!

I put CPUMSR.exe in Program Files\CPUMSR, as well as a configuration file that I saved from CPUMSR with the desired parameters.

I then fired up regedit, and did the following:

In HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run add new string value, name: CPUMSR, content: "c:\program files\CPUMSR\cpumsr.exe c:\progra~1\CPUMSR\mult.msr 0"

where mult.msr is the name of my config file. BTW, the path of the config file must be in 8.3 format, therefore "progra~1" will work and "program files" will not. It's a limitation of cpumsr.exe.

This makes cpumsr run during the startup and apply the
parameters from the config file to CPU #0.

You do not need registry editing. Just make a link on your desktop and then put it to Start menu - Programs - Startup.

And you can use long names, but you must use this format: "put name here". This is common for all command-line Windows programs, it is not a limitation of CPUMSR.

Regarding the names - that was the first thing I tried and it didn't work. Doesn't matter really.

And if you run it from the registry it'll kick in sooner than with a link in Startup. The items in Startup are the last to be processed, while those from the registry are among the first. May make a difference if you boot at a FSB that gives you a CPU speed where the computer isn't perfectly stable (on locked CPUs) and you want to decrease the multiplier to a more manageable value ASAP.

The Coolest said:
what were you using to blow it? PSU or battery?
PS, generic, 550w. No AFCI (wont shut down when spark) with a powmax power supply tester to turn the PS on safly (you need a load or you'll burn up the PS). My probes are 2 sewing neddles soldered to 2 leads (5v and gnd) from a drive power extender cable.

hmm that is strange, I poped my L3s just the same way and I had no problems with either of the 2 bridges I did, they were the x8 and x2 bit (3rd and 5th) bridges.
I'm not sure what to do. I want to set my max to x19 (1st and 5th poped) but am too scared to do it now.

Why are you people blasting your bridges with electricity? Cutting the bridges is extremely simple. I've done it numerous times. Takes all of 2 seconds to do.

ture, but I'm too scared about cutting too deep, also on my chip the bridge traces are NOT visible so I can't even look and see if I'm any close to the bridge trace

I'd be far more scared of pumping juice in the CPU through a place it was never meant to. Just put the blade tip where the bridge should be, and push it gently in just a bit. Put the CPU in the mobo, test it to see if you cut the bridge or not. If not, take it out, push the blade just a little deeper etc. The first 2 or 3 are the hardest, until you get the hang of it.

I had no problems blasting 2 of my L3 bridges, it insures that the bridge stays disconnected, and doesn't risk cutting the chip too deep.
Also the bridge functions like a fuse when you apply direct current to it, and it just pops

c627627 said:
There was one single case reported but it is doubtful since no one else was able to do it on nForce2s.

If you mean a hacked BIOS for nForce2, I don't think anyone here is working on anything like that.

Well, I can contact a good buddy about making a hacked BIOS for the NF2's, from the sounds of it, that would help. I won't mention any names, but he has a very well known BIOS website and has cracked lots of old AWARD bioses in his time. He started working on the new ones, does just fine, and he can probably work on a AWARD crack for the NF2's. I'll let ya'll know if anything works:) .

well, i've read through this thread and while i understand half the stuff, i think it is great that people have had the drive and knowledge to crack the multiplier lock, using their own resources. I came to overclocking only about 6 months ago and when i did i found lots of guides on how to pinmod/bridgemod/socketmod my xp2400, and now i realize a lot of people went through hell and back, not to mention through several CPUs to make those guides simple and usable for noobs like me.
it's too bad that we can't get organized enough for like, say, make and OC'ers research fund. i think everyone using a pinmod, a bridge burning guide or now these new methods on their CPU should paypal a laughable ammount like two bucks to this fund to help further researches.
Of course as i said earlier it is kinda utopic but ....

Back