• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible unlock of superlock procs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BULK88 and PETR

Hello guys,

I have 15 Tyan tiger MP motherboards, using the 760 MP chipsets. I was starting to build a renderfarm awhile back, until I got laid off. Well I am employed again and I am still holding on to the older MP boards. Well, I will be buying 30 processors very soon. This is very good news for me...I take my hat off to you guys for all the effort to unlocking the XP SUPER LOCK mystery.

Will this solutin work for the Older MP chipsets. I want to take advantage of the SMP capabilities and raise the freq as high as the motherboards can handle. I need clear instructions on how to set up MSR for these rigs. Can you guys spell out the process of what bits need to be changed or is that already hardcoded into MSR????? I am slightly confused, so please be precise with instructions...Thanks in Advance

Damian

For the AMD760 boards, you first need to connect the L5 bridges on the CPUs to make them mobile XPs, then use WPCREDIT as per bulk88's instructions above to edit the northbridge registers, and then you'lkl be able to change multipliers on the fly with CPUMSR. Let us know how it works.

Stamasd

thanks,

this just extended the life of my Renderfarm for quite some time...BTW it appears that the max freq is ~2300, so my question is what's the cheapest XP that can approach that frequency ????????

Second, I've read that Tyan Tiger MP doesn't have a 12 volt rail? what does this imply and would getting a beefier PSU resolve issues than arise from the lack of a 12V rail????

I have a 2000+ Thorton (locked) which I have modified to mobile, and which runs stable at 166x13 (2166 MHz) and 1.7V. Probably it'd reach more if I increased the voltage too. A similar CPU would set you back about $45-50 these days I believe.

I'm not familiar with that model of board, so I can't comment.

Great job with all this work! Esp. bulk88...!

Question though... is it possible to lower your startup multi? I have a locked 2400+ and it has a 15x milti. I'm trying to find ways to up the FSB in my system and hoped that this mobile XP solution might let me startup with a lower multi. Cuz then I could always raise the multi again once I've hit max FSB.

Also, has anyone tried changing the voltage through CPUMSR? Does that really work?

1. the startup multi will always be the one your CPU is locked at and cannot be changed

2. I have tried to change the voltage and it doesn't work - presumably my motherboard doesn't have the appropriate circuitry (and probably most if not all desktop motherboards are lacking it as well). It would probably work on laptops only.

I tried it as well, and you're right the voltage cannot be changed on the fly on desktop motherboards, but it can be changed on a laptop.

0-well... that's too bad for me then. I'll have to live with a 300MHz o/c for now till I can find another way to up the FSB above 154.

Re: Stamasd

DAMIAN666 said:
I've read that Tyan Tiger MP doesn't have a 12 volt rail? what does this imply and would getting a beefier PSU resolve issues than arise from the lack of a 12V rail????
Ask in the SMP forum about this, but I think that that is not correct. First, it is your PSU that has the 12v Rail, and we know hat it must connect to your bpard. Matbe nothing in the board pulls juice off the 12v rail. Your CPU vcore is probably regulated off of the +5v line, but that is fairly common on (esp older) athlon boards.

Metalwave - I've been trying exactly the same thing for a while, with no success. I've tried CPUFSB which in theory should allow you to change the FSB on-the-fly just like CPUMSR allows you to change the multiplier. But for some reason CPUFSB doesn't work on Asus boards. I've had a lengthy email exchange with the CPUFSB author, and we couldn't figure out what the problem is.

Re: Stamasd

DAMIAN666 said:
thanks,

this just extended the life of my Renderfarm for quite some time...BTW it appears that the max freq is ~2300, so my question is what's the cheapest XP that can approach that frequency ????????

Second, I've read that Tyan Tiger MP doesn't have a 12 volt rail? what does this imply and would getting a beefier PSU resolve issues than arise from the lack of a 12V rail????

DAMIAN666, are you saying that you have gotten this to work correctly on your tiger MP boards? I have a K7D system that I would try L5 modding if so to test it with the MPX.

People trying genuine mobile processors in MP boards (I can link the thread if you want) have had to UN-DO the mobile bridge setting to get both processors to work. According to the only account I've read, they were both detected (as unkown CPUs) but would not work in dual mode. I don't remember which, but either the BIOS or Windows said they were MPs, but the other didn't, and they both need to see them as MPs for it to work . . . So I highly doubt that locked processors are going to be able to use this trick in MP boards if you want to use dual. You can probably change the multi on a locked processor on an MP board, but only one of them is going to work . . . :( I think it was on a K7D Master L . . . Don't know if it would be any different for others . . . Might be a BIOS thing . . .

Z

Ok this will maybe sound dumb, just wanna get it right the first time.
1.Scrape the dots on the L5 bridge(second from the left)
2.Connect the dots using conductive paint (filling the pit is optinal)
Then we have a mobileXP
3.Cut the L6 bridges to get higher multi, just one question here how deep shall I cut ( i dont have a multimeter), 1mm, 0.5mm??

If I am missing something please let me know :cool:

its 3rd bridge from left. It all depends how you look at the chip, if you hold it in the position that the bridges are on the top left side of the CPU then its the 3rd from left. And Bulk said somewhere in this thread that connecting the 2nd L5 will give you a max of x24 multipliers w/o doing a thing to the L6. Just look through this thread for the info, but mainly yea you can use the L6.

*EDIT:* There you go:
bulk88 said:
There are 4 L5 bridges, unknown, Mobile 24x, mobile and multi processor. Well the mobile 24x overides L6 and set the L6 to 24x multplier. No more cutting. Just filling. From now on I wiil take a glob of conductive paste. rub it into all the L5s, let it dry then scrape off the stuff on the surface. When I am done, I have a Athlon maxium 24x transition Mobile MP processor. The mobile mod is much easier now and I will do it to every athlon I have.

Elv, I imagine that this is being done to a super-locked chip? What board are you running it on, and let us know how it works out.

Z

Ok didnt want to try it on my Barton, so I used an old 1700XP Palomino. And it works really well.Man this is so cool.I am using a Shuttle 37 mobo with VIA400 chipsett, gonna try it on my Barton now,wish I had better eyesight lol, can hardly see the bridges.
will post results when I am done.
Thanks bulk88 and Petr

EDIT: this is gonna take some time, it is really hard scraping the surface on the Barton

EDIT2: Didnt work.....maybe I didnt scratch the surface enough,dont know will try again later

Last edited:
wow! wish i had found this thread earlier (actually wish this had been known a long time ago :) ).

tried it on my 1600xp now it's a mobile xp w/ multi's up to 18 available.

i had been debating on what new chip to get, thinking i would be limited by the max fsb of 154 on my mobo, and with the new locked chips wouldn't be able to reach their potential.

this opens up whole new options.

thanks a bundle!

Back