• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply has trouble turning back on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I have a EVGA 800 G2 and for some time now, it has been giving trouble when powering back on after a power loss (loss of power from wall outlet). This can be me simply turning off the power supply with the built in power switch on the PSU. After losing power, I will spend minutes switching it off and on till it finally powers up, after which, it never has problems powering on or off via the case/motherboard power switch. I've no clue what could be causing the problem (I have not opened it up), and the amount of time and the number of switching of the on/off switch, as well as how long I leave it in the off or on position does not seem to matter. I have a number of USB devices plugged in, which will power up once the PSU starts to deliver power, at which point I know to stop toggling the power switch. I've tested the voltages as well as monitored it via software (I know they are not 100% accurate, but they are fairly close for my board), and I do not see anything out of spec. It's powering the system in my signature, so it doesn't have problems delivering the amps when needed.

Anyone care to guess what could be the problem with the PSU? Anyone ever had similar problems?

When you say losing power do you mean black/brown out ? ( weird voltage spikes can come the supply authority ( electrical power company ) with black and brown outs ) If it is happening after one of these events I would think some type some type of protection cct or type of Over current protection has kicked in , it might have a time/heat delay . If you lose power often I would suggest buying a UPS .
If you just mean after flipping the SW on the PSU and it not wanting to post back up or do you mean from a cold boot ? (pc off for awhile ) and doesn't like to post first few times ?

When you say losing power do you mean black/brown out ?

No power fluctuations from mains, and I always run with a UPS for those rare occasions.

If you just mean after flipping the SW on the PSU and it not wanting to post back up or do you mean from a cold boot ? (pc off for awhile ) and doesn't like to post first few times ?

Just flipping the switch on the PSU, which is something I do whenever working inside the case. Once the PSU powers back up, the computer never has any problems with the motherboard/front case panel switch turning on and off.

I had a 2003 Antec (CWT) like that, if the power goes out then comes back on in such a short time space, such as less than 2 seconds, for example, the PSU is then in a state where it won't turn on when hitting the PC power switch, until I unplug the PSU or turn the switch on the back of the PSU to off for at least roughly 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Time off doesn't matter in my situation. I can leave it off for an hour, and it still won't power up. I can flip the switch off and on in a split second, and it can power back on. It's totally random when it powers back on.

I believe it's past it's warranty, at least if it's only a year long. I'll need to check on that, and if it is past it's warranty, I might as well open it up and see if there's any loose solder connection that's causing the problem.

Damn, after I just recently finished installing everything in this case. With the holidays I guess it's best to wait a couple of weeks too before I finally send anything out.

Back