• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pricing for Intel’s entire Kaby Lake X and Skylake X Core i9, i7 & i5 CPU leak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know. If they keep the (slight) IPC advantage, and they still have the Intel name, the bottom two i9 chips could be a problem for AMD's current pricing. Especially if the 7820x OCs anything like Kaby Lake.

Dunno why they're calling it leaked. Same numbers have been reported by Ananadtech. Maybe they didn't get invited to the announcement?

IPC has been complicated by Ryzen. Single thread it may be behind but with SMT it can take the lead.

7740k TDP goes up to 112 watts? Lame. Even if it outperforms the 65 watt 1700 for my particular workload, which I doubt, it comes at a ~72% power premium. No thanks! At least the lower end Intel parts might still be ok for gaming rigs..

I guess the real story will be how the 78xx/79xx series stacks up to Threadripper..

I'm eyeing that 7820X, but at that current pricetag I ain't even gonna look at it. I have funds burning a hole in my pocket already and I'm getting tired of waiting.

7740k TDP goes up to 112 watts? Lame. Even if it outperforms the 65 watt 1700 for my particular workload, which I doubt, it comes at a ~72% power premium.

Intel's max TDP is typically under AVX2 workloads, which is a weak area for Ryzen. My stock 6700k is faster than my OC 1700 in that area.

I can see the entry level 6 core in that lineup giving AMD a few issues for the Intel holdouts. However if the entire Threadripper lineup comes in "under the $1000 range" then intel is in trouble.

Aint noway AMD's Threadripper will come in under 1k. If it does, then intel better come out swinging.

At this point anything that is less than 12 cores and won't make more than 4.5GHz on water is useless for me ( and I doubt that AMD can make it ). The same, anything that costs more than ~$700 is too expensive, not counting overpriced motherboards for Intel processors. At the end no matter if it's AMD or Intel, both have nothing good to offer me.

At this point anything that is less than 12 cores and won't make more than 4.5GHz on water is useless for me ( and I doubt that AMD can make it ). The same, anything that costs more than ~$700 is too expensive, not counting overpriced motherboards for Intel processors. At the end no matter if it's AMD or Intel, both have nothing good to offer me.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's only a problem when you are taking a part in competitive benchmarking ... some forum members know what I mean.

$339 is not to bad for Intel Core i7-7740X.;)

For me, $340 for 4C/8T going to keep me with AMD. I'm very satisfied with the price/performance of my Ryzen 5 rig and 6C/12T is the sweet spot for me. At Microcenter, you can get a 6C/12T Ryzen 5 1600, B350 mobo to OC it to 4 GHz with, and 16 GB of DDR4 for that same $340. Everything I built from 2007 to 2017 was Intel based until Ryzen and Intel won't win me back by continuing to increase prices, even if only a small amount.

Gonna drive more customers over to Ryzen.
you think?

The faster than ryzen by ipc and same with all threads octo cores are the same price at 599. They still seem to have an advantage, amd, below that...

Edit... oops, its 499, ryzen.. 100 more for the processor only...

For me, $340 for 4C/8T going to keep me with AMD. I'm very satisfied with the price/performance of my Ryzen 5 rig and 6C/12T is the sweet spot for me. At Microcenter, you can get a 6C/12T Ryzen 5 1600, B350 mobo to OC it to 4 GHz with, and 16 GB of DDR4 for that same $340. Everything I built from 2007 to 2017 was Intel based until Ryzen and Intel won't win me back by continuing to increase prices, even if only a small amount.
What prices increased? Its the same price as 7700k, no?

I always said if you can use the cores, its worth it. Too bad for the majority it isnt since they cant use them. :)

I hear tell that 16c/32t Threadripper will go for under 1K.
If its under 1200, id be surprised.

Last edited:
What prices increased? Its the same price as 7700k, no?

I always said if you can use the cores, its worth it. Too bad for the majority it isnt since they cant use them.

I guess I'm too used to Microcenter's $300 price for the 7700K. I see that Newegg wants $340 for it so it looks like a push. And the majority just needs two cores, the 4C/8T 7700K is way overkill for most too.

With tax its 321 (in Ohio)... not a tremendous deal ulpess its close or you need instant gratification.

My wife and kids (kids age 5 and 9) cant even get away with a dual core... :rofl:
These days dual cores are relegated to email/internet machines. The dual i had g2130 could barely stream content and web game. :(

Back