• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime 95 Blend Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Playing around and benching the chip will teach you a lot about your setup. I learned more from benching my system then I ever would have just shooting for a stable Oc. Yes you can run any Fx chip on the Sabertooth as a matter of fact that run on Dice with my 6300 was on my Sabertooth. That said what types of gains are you looking for. Unless you're doing some serious multi threaded tasks that will utilize more cores then the Fx 6xxx has you will likely not see any gains performance wise. Additionally, if you stepped up to a Fx 8xxx you would have to deal with a lot more heat. So you would likely not be able to run the same Oc on the Fx 8xxx as you can on the Fx 6xxx.

Ah yeah I gotcha. No I don't do anything that will require more cores than what I have now. Use my comp for everyday use and then online gaming, Iracing. Very CPU heavy game.

Side note I bumped the HT speed up to 2600 and just to see I let it run prime while I slept. No errors. May try the CPU/NB frequency too.

Ah yeah I gotcha. No I don't do anything that will require more cores than what I have now. Use my comp for everyday use and then online gaming, Iracing. Very CPU heavy game.

Side note I bumped the HT speed up to 2600 and just to see I let it run prime while I slept. No errors. May try the CPU/NB frequency too.
Good I didn't think raising the Ht Link would cause any issues. If you want to raise the Nb Freq note where the Cpu Nb voltage is set at first, then raise the Nb Freq to 2400. If you fail Prime, same logic as Ocing the Cpu, raise the Cpu Nb volts, watch temps and test. If it passes then raise it to 2600 Mhz.

On another note you should create a signature in your profile so people can see the components in the rig. So if someone new come to help you or look for help in this thread, they don't have to go back and look at the whole thread to see what components we are dealing with.

Yeah I can do that. So I raised the CPU/NB.... will see what happens. I was looking under the power controls. Would I benefit at all from raising the CPU load line and CPU/NB load line from ultra high and high to extreme?

Yeah I can do that. So I raised the CPU/NB.... will see what happens. I was looking under the power controls. Would I benefit at all from raising the CPU load line and CPU/NB load line from ultra high and high to extreme?
The Cpu LLC is doing a good job right now at least from what I can tell looking at the Screen shots on post #35, it is overboosting the Cpu Voltage by a bit but not terribly. I would not set it to extreme. One really only needs it set there if you're pushing the pee out of the chip. The Cpu Nb LLC if set on Ultra high should be fine, I believe I run mine on High but haven't looked at where I have it set for a while now.

okay good deal. that makes sense. so far so good with the CPU/NB frequency increase to 2400. running prime for 30 min without an issue yet.

Alright, so thanks to everyone's help I overclocked my ram and cpu... Decided it was now time to overclock my graphics card lol. I have it done but just have a question about it if anyone knows the answer. So in the CCC I have my card overclocked to 20% on the power limit settings, 1150 on the GPU clock settings, and 1500 on the memory clock settings. I have a total of 4 monitors hooked up. When I am gaming I run 3 monitors at 5760X1080, then when I am just surfing the web and browsing I use presets and switch over to my single monitor at 1920X1080. When I open up MSI afterburner and look at the core clock and memory clock the 2 are different when I am on the 3 screens then switch over to the single screen. Should it do that? Or should it be the same no matter what arrangement of screens I am using?
Single.JPG triple.JPG

Let me see if I'm following you, what you're saying is when at idle the Gpu clock is higher when on 3 screens then when you are on 1? If that is the case, I would guess it is due to the increased stress you're putting on the Gpu running the higher resolutions then when on 1080p.

Exactly. Nevermind. I pretty much answered my own question as I was posting this lol.

So this has me really confused.... I have my graphics card overclocked using the CCC. When I open up a game I notice graphics are terrible. I decided to leave MSI running in the background and it shows the core clock is all over the place while gaming. Its no where near what I have it set at. I then alt tab out. Open up CCC unclick enable graphics overdrive then reclick it back to on. Then go back to the game. As a result, graphics are better and MSI shows the clock where it should be. How come I have to go in and mess with the CCC everytime? Why isnt it saving the settings where I leave them when my computer is turned on and off.
AMD.JPG Core Clock.JPG GPU usage.JPG

How do I set msi to use the settings I apply every time my computer turns on

When I restart my computer and open up GPU-Z it shows my clock and memory at my graphics card default setting. I have to open up MSI in order for it to update to what I have it overclocked at. In MSI I have the apply at windows startup checked and also start with windows checked in the settings. What else am I missing?
GPUZ idle.JPG
GPUZ after MSI.JPG

When you hit apply at windows startup it should do just that. Though, it's possible CCC is conflicting with it, you may want to either disable CCC from starting up or un install it completely.

Yeah, the problem is I need CCC to always open up because it has to be open for me to hotkey between my triple monitor and single monitor setup. Gah computers... love hate relationship

I don't have any answers for you then, maybe try Evga Precision or one of the other Gpu Ocing tools.

So my fix that I guess I am okay with was just make a hot key in msi that applies the overclock settings that I press when I boot up my computer.

Since you all have been so helpful with everything else regarding my computer I have another quick question for you all. I primarily play an online racing game called Iracing. Everyone online in the iracing forum says the game is primarily CPU bound. After about 10 minutes of playing I exited out and took a screen shot of MSI. To me it looks like the GPU is whats holding me back and not my CPU. From the pictures does it look that way to you guys? I didn't screen shot CPU core 5 or 6 because they were barely used.
Thanks!
CPU 1.JPG CPU 2.JPG CPU 3.JPG CPU 4.JPG GPU usage.JPG

What resolution are you running iRacing at?
I have extensive experience with the sim :)

Back