• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem w/ M4N75TD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supratroopa

Hi there,
I'm having a problem with my new motherboard. Here is my setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE w/ Hyper 212+
ASUS M4N75TD (BIOS 1701)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12
eVGA Geforce GTX 460 FPB
OCZ ZS 750W

So this is my first time overclocking, and I can't seem to get it working. First off, I can't get it done in the A.I. Overclock menu in BIOS because whenever I enter a CPU Ratio ("18" or "18x" or "18:1"), it won't take it; it just goes back to "Auto", and when I'm using ASUS TurboV, the overclock only holds until I restart the computer, then the voltage and the CPU multiplier are back at 1.325V and 17x respectively.

On another topic, as I said this is my first time overclocking, and I've been told that I have to change several settings like multiplier, FSB, core voltage, DRAM frequency (whatever that is), and something called CPU-NB. Can somebody explain to me very shortly and simply what is the procedure for all this, like what numbers I'm supposed to tinker with and by what increments?

Thanks in advance!

That is normal when using TurboV, the overclock resets upon reboot. :) You aren't doing something right when changing the CPU multiplier in BIOS, there may be another setting for cpu frequency - like auto or manual. You would need that to be set to manual control so that your multiplier setting in BIOS sticks.

The best guide we got for overclocking your chip is this one:
http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/

That tells you everything you need to know, but first you need to figure out your bios, so that you are able to change the muliplier - that is really the first step, being able to make changes in bios to your settings and have them stick.

As a quick guide, you want to start by increasing the multiplier, then you may find a limit and need to increase voltage to get further - that depends on your temps so you'll want to use coretemp to get temperature readings. You don't want the chip getting hotter than 60C or so.

After that, you can worry about CPU-NB frequency (the memory controller speed) and DRAM frequency. Overclocking those are separate from overclocking the CPU, so its best to start by getting one thing under your belt, then starting to look at FSB, CPU-NB, and DRAM frequency, because they are all interrelated.

So I figured out how to make the settings stick in BIOS, but for overclocking in general, do I just go with the multiplier and forget FSB (and all the other settings) altogether? I'm hoping so because a lot of this stuff is complicated...

So I figured out how to make the settings stick in BIOS, but for overclocking in general, do I just go with the multiplier and forget FSB (and all the other settings) altogether? I'm hoping so because a lot of this stuff is complicated...

Generally yes and the fact the multiplier is adjustable upwards is why so many go for the BE cpus. Sure you have to add Vcore to cpu as cpu speed goes upward. And eventually it maybe that upping the other settings for increased speed may reward one with a little more "power" to compute.

The other main tool you will need in basic overclocking with an unlocked multiplier CPU is the CPU voltage adjustment. It will need to be bumped up some as you raise the multiplier. You can't expect the CPU to be able to run faster than stock by much unless you give it more juice.

Back