• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor Multiplier Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D4NTE

Registered
Hi,

I've made processor multiplier x9 , fsp 290 , +0,125 V , ht multiplier x8(800 mhz) , ram 800 to 667 but when i look to aida 64 it looks like processor is 2.2 ghz x11 multiplier and 629 mhz.I don't know what i've done wrong

Sorry for bad English

Please give us information about your system in some detail. Refer to my "Signature" a the bottom that gives details about my computer parts if you want a guide.

First, in you bios, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Next, in Windows Control Panel Power Options set it to High Performance. That should turn off the "green" stuff that down-throttles frequencies and voltages.

i tried but now multiplier is x9 ram is 667 ht is 800 mhz but fps is 200

Amd Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ , Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO 512 , 2x1 Kingston KVR800D2N6 Ram , 500 W Xigmatek Psu , Biostar TA690G Motherboard , 160 GB Seagate HDD

Now, download and install the free program CPU-z. Run it in Windows and post back with attached screenshot pictures of these three tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

What operating system are you using? XP? Vista? Win 7?

At default settings

bcpmr.jpg

bcpn3.jpg

bcpnj.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but can you even do a base clock of 290 on an Athlon 64x2? I thought it had problems going above a certain base clock.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can you even do a base clock of 290 on an Athlon 64x2? I thought it had problems going above a certain base clock.

A couple of things D4NTE. One is, thanks for the pics. But please crop them with Windows Accessories Snipping Tool before you upload them so they don't take up so much screen real estate. We don't need to see your entire desktop, just the image of the CPU-z tab. With Snipping Tool just left click on a corner of the image you want and hold down the mouse button as you drag across the image to create a cropping frame. And you can attach several images with one post so that you don't need to make three posts for us to see all three CPU-z tabs.

Now, at stock speeds and voltages run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open in the background while you do this. Then upload a pic of both the HWMonitor interface and the Prime95 interface when that is done. Let's do this to check for stability and temps at stock speeds and voltages.

Have you turned off Cool N Quiet yet and configured Windows Power Options to High Performance as I requested?

i did what you have told to me but i could only run for 7 minutes then i stopped it because it's been 70 degrees but there wasn't any failure.

also an easy way to take a shot of just the program is to hold alt when you hit print screen :D

Your temps are too high. You need to get a better CPU cooler before you try to overclock.

when i make fsb 220 and multiplier to x10 it's 2.2 ghz but when i make fsb 260 and multiplier to x10 it's 2 ghz.should i update bios ?

You need to fix your temperature problem first.
70 is too high.
If you are using the stock heatsink it's time to upgrade.

when i make fsb 220 and multiplier to x10 it's 2.2 ghz but when i make fsb 260 and multiplier to x10 it's 2 ghz.should i update bios ?

Sure update the bios.

What do you mean when you say you set FSB 260 times 10 and you get 2.0Ghz and not 2.6Ghz. Do you see the 2.0Ghz after you set 260x10 and Save and Exit the bios and the board then boots at 2.0Ghz.

If that is when you see 260 x 10 become only 2.0Ghz then the board is saving itself by setting lower speed since the bios believes it cannot run at 260x10 and resets itself lower. Seen that happen on motherboards before. Especially some of the cheaper models. We don't even know what board you have and we are pretty far into this thread with only little information about your system. That is not normally good.

EDIT:
Okay I found the motherboard you are using. You do not have a signature where the system can follow your every post. I had to go back to the top of the thread and read every post until I found >> Biostar TA690G Motherboard in one of your posts. Now can do some g00gling about that motherboard.
END EDIT.

Sure update the bios.

What do you mean when you say you set FSB 260 times 10 and you get 2.0Ghz and not 2.6Ghz. Do you see the 2.0Ghz after you set 260x10 and Save and Exit the bios and the board then boots at 2.0Ghz.

If that is when you see 260 x 10 become only 2.0Ghz then the board is saving itself by setting lower speed since the bios believes it cannot run at 260x10 and resets itself lower. Seen that happen on motherboards before. Especially some of the cheaper models. We don't even know what board you have and we are pretty far into this thread with only little information about your system. That is not normally good.

EDIT:
Okay I found the motherboard you are using. You do not have a signature where the system can follow your every post. I had to go back to the top of the thread and read every post until I found >> Biostar TA690G Motherboard in one of your posts. Now can do some g00gling about that motherboard.
END EDIT.
Yeah, it is possible that it ends up running 200 x 10. :eh?:
It is most likely related to DRAM dividers, that change upon CPU multiplier. For example for DDR2-800 on 10x it would be CPU/5 (400) ...so 260x10 = 2600, /5 = 520 = DDR2-1040. If his ram can not run 1040, then the board will default to 200 HT Ref.

Yeah, try updating the bios. Chances are it won't impact that issue but you never know.

i updated bios same thing happened i even tried to downgrade the bios.when i try to make 260 fsb when starting to computer it says warning your system is running in safe mode please set up cpu host clock when i press f1 to continue it's been 2 ghz.is there anyway to close safe mode ?

Every motherboard has a limit for which it will tolerate raising the fsb over the stock 200 mhz. Expensive, high end boards will go up to around 300 mhz fsb before they become unstable. Budget boards may not be able to tolerate 250mhz. It sounds like your motherboard is saying to you, "I can't tolerate the fsb that high (260mhz)!" Maybe it will do 250 mhz okay, though from what you have said. I suggest you set your fsb to 250 mhz and lower your CPU multiplier to 8x which should give you a CPU speed of 2.0 ghz. Lower your memory speed to 533 mhz. With the 250 mhz fsb that should keep your memory well under it's rated 800 mhz I think, which is what its rated for. The CPU frequency and the ram frequency should now not be a cause of instability and you can Run Prime95 for 20 minutes to check for the stability of fsb. Take the case side off and set a household fan to blow into the open case to help with temps. If it passes the test, start raising your CPU multiplier in .5x increments.

Last edited:
Back