• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "Cold Reality" Proposed Parts List

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomofnight

I'm doing a scratch build for a new computer. I am doing an all blue theme and calling it Project "Cold Reality". These are the parts I am tentatively going to buy.

New Computer:

Mother Board
ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79

CPU
Intel Core i7-3930K

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133

Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Hydro Copper

Blu-Ray Burner
LITE-ON Black Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature - OEM

Power Supply
SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply

Case
Corsair Obsidian Series 900D

Water Cooling:

CPU Block
CPU-380I Water Block

Pump
Swiftech MCP35X

Reservoir
MPC35X Reservoir

Pump Heat Sink
Swiftech MCP35X Series Heat Sink

Radiator
XSPC RX360
XSPC RX240

Fans
5X Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120 mm AP-15

Tubing
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD - Brilliant UV Blue

SLI Fittings
Bitspower BP-DG14AALPII Silver Shining Dual G1/4" Adjustable Aqua Link Pipe II (41-69mm)

Fittings
16X Bitspower Premium G1/4" High Flow 1/2" Fitting

Quick Disconnect Fittings
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Female Barb for ID 13mm (1/2in)
2XKoolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Barb for ID 13mm (1/2in)

TIM
Shin-Etsu X23-7783D Silicone Thermal Compound - 1g

Biocide
Petra's Tech Nuke PHN Concentrated Biocide (10mL)

Fan Cables
5-way Splitter Akasa FLEXA FP5S PWM Fan Splitter Cable

Fan Controller
Lamptron FC-3- "A" Edition 30 Watts Per Channel

This should be my complete parts list. I'll be ordering in probably a month or so, and begin assembly about that time. In addition to this computer, I'm also planning on building a computer desk as well, so keep a look out for the build logs! If you see something that I'm missing, please let me know. Thank you again for all the help and for helping me make this project happen.

Last edited:
Oh, just a heads up, I'm not going to be putting my build log here. Once I get the parts ordered and in, I'll do a build log.

don't understand why you included your keyboard unless you plan to water cool that XD

don't understand why you included your keyboard unless you plan to water cool that XD

I actually type so fast, the amount of heat generated from my fingers hitting the individual keys on the keyboard is enough to cause blisters for most people. :D

Really, I'm not sure why I included it. I have a huge spreadsheet of all my parts I plan to buy. I pretty much just replicated that list on this page. That's all. Wasn't paying too close of attention while I was doing. Looking back, I think it was because it's a blue back lit keyboard to compliment the blue theme. Maybe? :shrug: I don't really know.

Last edited:
QDs are a waste of money.

Did you plan a drain connector?

Otherwise, awesome!

Thank you. I kind of feel honored that you think it's an awesome part list. Proof that a little time, research, reading, waiting for a few months, and asking some simple newb questions can lead to good things. Anywho....

Right now I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy on my GPU's, so that can change. As for a drain, I was planning on using the QDC to drain. I guess it'd just be easier to go with a T line and a drain plug. That's an easy fix though.

That's the plan. I just forgot to add another fitting, but that's too easy. While it is a bit pricey, I think I trust a QDC more than a plug. But, I've never used either, so I can't really say one way or the other. I just know about the reviews I've read from the QDCs, and they have all been really good.

Just make sure the QDCs aren't hanging above components and are under the GPU or to the sides where theres nothing there incase if there ever was a drop. Just for added security. I setup my QDCs on the floor just above the PSU which is separated by a aluminum floor.

Just make sure the QDCs aren't hanging above components and are under the GPU or to the sides where theres nothing there incase if there ever was a drop. Just for added security. I setup my QDCs on the floor just above the PSU which is separated by a aluminum floor.

That's some good advice, thanks! I was kind of planning to keep them low, just because I liked how it looked in...I think it was your build, with the 3 QDC's at the bottom. Regardless, I was planning on going low, not it makes just that much more sense for me to do it. As always, got to do those little things for our good friend Justin. I'm sure you know Mr. Case as well as I do. (Is it a bad joke? Yes. Is it staying? Yes.)

I actually just got all the water cooling parts. I'm waiting on the case, keyboard, and graphics card to come in stock to I can pull the trigger on those as well.

UPDATE and CHANGE 2:

After reading the reviews and checking for availability from EVGA, I'm going to pull the trigger on a single GTX 780 Hydro Copper with plans to get another one down the road. It's more affordable and close enough to the Titan where I can actually justify it.

As for the update, I have in my possession all of my water cooling parts. Ordered from Performance-PCs. Had some issues with shipping, but their customer support was great. I have all the computer parts ordered and should be ready to be picked up soon. I'll be pulling the trigger on the GTX 780 today, and ordering my PHN Nuke from Amazon today as well.

I hope you know Haswell i7-4770k ($340 MSRP)is coming out very shortly. Maybe in a matter of days.

Are you only on 1080p? If yes than you did the right move.

Back