• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Glacier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

Hey Guys,

Gonna be retheming my computer and going over to hardtube and a bunch of stuff. this will be an evolution of Project: Monochrome (you cna see the build log for that here )

286215_10150336245276869_8301319_o.jpg this is what im using for a theme idea i took it when i did the berg lake trail here in BC 6 years ago.theme is well... glaciers and the colour of water they usually let off being cyan. (also cause i always use cyan for my players in games)

this time i intend to actually follow the build log through haha i have a bad tendancy to start these things and not finish documenting it. hopefully i can make tastefull use of RGB lighting... HOPEFULLY

haha More info to come

im really glad to hear that i havnt used any thermal take products since the dark days about 10 years ago. though ive been told they have improved drastically recently. it actually took me a little looking around to find one of these in stock in canada. wound up finding it on amazon.ca. gonna be going back to dual loops again for the first time in jeeze must be 8 years or more since ive done dual loop. i really should test that both my 11 year old D5s work still. they are in series ATM so one may have died not sure. both the speed sensors on them gave up the ghost years ago

Well thats not good.

was gamin a bit last night and smelled burning electronics then computer crashed.

started computer up it ran but i could smell the burning electronics again. poke around and i saw something arcing and intermittently setting on fire between the pcb and the back plate of my gtx1080 strix card. guess im pulling it apart to see if i cant repair it.:-/

the part that is confusing is that its been sitting in its current state for months i hadnt evens tarted disasebly yet. it just died at random.

Last edited:
I'm no Glaciologist but I'm pretty sure fire and arcing are not indicative of glaciers.

That sucks man. Any chance for an RMA?

nah it has a bitspower block on it so i doubt it. broke the lil warantee sticker on the backside screw.

guess this has become a story of ice and fire heh

gonna take the backplate off tonight and see whats up. maby i can order replacment parts off of digikey and employ my mad soldering skills. if not idk maby buy a replacment strix A8g card for 700$ XD.

Before you do anything I would contact ASUS. Many companies will allow water cooling without voiding their warranty even though the sticker had to be broke. (The same can be true for just a simple TIM re-application) It's worth a shot.

Well nebulous your gonna get what you asked for haha. Finally I've settled on the case for the new build.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002975

now i just have to decide if i want to continue to use my old 4690K or if its time to move on to something bigger and better. half tempted to get a threadripper.

No one has any right to comment on the craziness of my geothermal system ever again :D
Looking forward to see how this progresses.

GOOD NEWS

removed the backplate with its LED and no arcin and a sparkin i am currently load testing it with some F@H.

the led was not the right colour anymore despite what settings i fed into the asus aura program so the led was clearly failing. im going to assume that if it smells like a duck and looks like a duck that its a duck and the failing led panel was the source of all problems

Last edited:
Wow. Glad it wasn't any worse.

Keep us up to speed on the project. Sub'd.

Small update:
parts are starting to come in. hoping to have some new parts pictures up some time next week. as a side note what 140 mm fans are people finding work good for radiators without being too loud. i havnt baught fans in about 10 years cause my noctuas have lasted so long so i'm a bit out of date on fan tech. im going to be using a NZXT grid 2.0 for fan control and i think it only has 3 pin fan plugs.

Back