• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros and Cons M5A97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So. The general concensus around here is that the m5a97 is a good overclocking board good for 33% or higher overclocks on the fx 8300? So me telling the guy to be careful and go with modest overclocks was bad advice? Is that what the point is here?

Keep your oc modest until you can get a better motherboard

Please excuse me for my vitriolic recommendation that he chills out on extended overclocks on this motherboard.

For some of you that like to get drunk and come posting (pretty easy to see) , I said "be careful" not "don't do it". Thats his choice what he wants to do.

put a fan on the VRM's, see how far she goes SAFELY, knowing full well the board wasn't made for wild overclocks (so if it bites the dust he was warned). If he isn't happy with it, get a better one

Like i said...

60245287.jpg

Last edited:
Like i said...

Not speaking to you, Im hoping someone else will get the point.

edit: not sure why this needed to continue, or even needed its own thread. Stupid topic on a dead chipset. If its a cheaper motherboard, and you're putting an fx83x0 in it; be mentally willing to lose said motherboard when you start overclocking. I couldn't care less about one or two success stories. The original guy was asking how to push it FURTHER than he did AND he already had an 1100mhz overclock going. So yeah, I will continue to recommend people stay modest on their cheap motherboards.

Last edited:
Enough of the "m5a97" is a valiant board crap. Its not. Its a cheap board designed for low TDP solutions on stock systems. Its NOT a "good" board, and certainly not a board meant for overclocking. At stock, it SHOULD be fine. Overclocking is asking for trouble.

I think this is what turned most of those here against what you were saying.... But what do I know, I'm just a dumb guy who has over clocked on the first run of an M5A97 for roughly 3 years. How could I know what the board is capable of or made for?

I think this is what turned most of those here against what you were saying.... But what do I know, I'm just a dumb guy who has over clocked on the first run of an M5A97 for roughly 3 years. How could I know what the board is capable of or made for?

Yes, I could have been a bit more tactful there. But in the context, the OP had a 4.42ghz OC on a 3.3ghz chip, and was asking to go higher. That said, passive aggressive comments really dont help much. I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. And please don't assume or insinuate I have zero experience on the matter, thats just annoying.

Last edited:
You realize this is academic ? if i read the 1st post right he's already at peak temps. Nothing more to do UNLESS he gets a better mobo and cooling and you guys are still arguing over it. Advice was given, either he follows it or not it's hes decision, from my point of view you are both right and just nitpicking over nothing :grouphug:

So. The general concensus around here is that the m5a97 is a good overclocking board good for 33% or higher overclocks on the fx 8300? So me telling the guy to be careful and go with modest overclocks was bad advice? Is that what the point is here?

Please excuse me for my vitriolic recommendation that he chills out on extended overclocks on this motherboard.

For some of you that like to get drunk and come posting (pretty easy to see) , I said "be careful" not "don't do it". Thats his choice what he wants to do.

Veiled personal attacks are not appropriate and unnecessary. Bob4933, You have been coming across to me as authoritarian and argumentative in this thread and I think people are reacting to that.

Yes, I could have been a bit more tactful there. But in the context, the OP had a 4.3ghz OC on a 3.3ghz chip, and was asking to go higher. That said, passive aggressive comments really dont help much. I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. And please don't assume or insinuate I have zero experience on the matter, thats just annoying.

Well, you basically posted the M5A97 board is no better than some MSI 970 4+1 without even a heat sink on the vrms, that might handle stock. So there wasn't much to assume, as your words did the talking.

For a very cheap board, it's actually quite strong. I beat the piss outta mine for years. CD basically did the same, but no one ever told him to stop... I think he is still beating on it today...

All in all, these posts did need to go elsewhere. That guy joined to ask and learn, not hear us bicker and fight and bash his gear. I'd have left well enough alone, and I'm sure others would have as well, if you were using the same wording as you are now. The way it sounded in the first post of this thread, you thought the board was no better than an HP/Dell OEM board. It is not. It is quite an impressive board for its price.

Well, you basically posted the M5A97 board is no better than some MSI 970 4+1 without even a heat sink on the vrms, that might handle stock. So there wasn't much to assume, as your words did the talking.

For a very cheap board, it's actually quite strong. I beat the **** outta mine for years. CD basically did the same, but no one ever told him to stop... I think he is still beating on it today...

All in all, these posts did need to go elsewhere. That guy joined to ask and learn, not hear us bicker and fight and bash his gear. I'd have left well enough alone, and I'm sure others would have as well, if you were using the same wording as you are now. The way it sounded in the first post of this thread, you thought the board was no better than an HP/Dell OEM board. It is not. It is quite an impressive board for its price.

Haha, honestly, I don't relent on those awful boards. My first foray into the (recent) amd world was an 8320 and an m5a97... LE.... Yeah, that thing was an expensive paperweight... I get the plain jane m5a97 is ok (I believe it was mr scott who fixed me on that. I always thought the LE and vanilla were similar), but I don't appreciate people having inexperienced persons barrel ahead on their gear without appropriate warnings. It appears OP did his homework, but its not always about temperatures. And with manufacturers reducing output of the motherboards, finding replacements is going to get more and more expensive. The bottom line for my end, is that "the m5a97 is NOT a crosshair formula-z, it is a cheaper motherboard with a 4 phase power (a known limitation on 8 core chips), with modest appointments for its price range. It is not intended or wise to push this motherboard to the upper echelons of overclocking, regardless of the small amount of success into those forays". There.

Veiled personal attacks are not appropriate and unnecessary. Bob4933, You have been coming across to me as authoritarian and argumentative in this thread and I think people are reacting to that.

Send a PM next time. And calling a drunk person "drunk" is hardly a personal attack.

Send a PM next time. And calling a drunk person "drunk" is hardly a personal attack.

It's the same as calling a fat person fat, it' a personal attack because it's always meant in the worst possible sense m8...

found some of my notes on the last m5a97 that I blew up,
max, stable oc with a 4170, on water was 4.4, could bench higher.
blew it up with a Deneb in it at 1.85 vcore on water.

the last one I bought is hammering away 24/7 in my mothers husbands real estate office at 4.1, all four cooking and 8 gigs of 1333 corsair xms ram.
the thing is just a mini sledge hammer and is sooooooooooo trouble free it's amazing and with the upgrade to an ssd boot drive it's as snappy as you could want.
he says that he hears a little grinding from it, it has a corsair h100 in it, so it's about time for a case and cooling replacement.
but i'm keeping the m5a97 R2.0 in the little sweetie, even though I have a sabertooth in the junk pile, just in case.
I don't need to upgrade it to the sabertooth because it has such a full feature set!!!!!!

Not speaking to you, Im hoping someone else will get the point.

edit: not sure why this needed to continue, or even needed its own thread. Stupid topic on a dead chipset. If its a cheaper motherboard, and you're putting an fx83x0 in it; be mentally willing to lose said motherboard when you start overclocking. I couldn't care less about one or two success stories. The original guy was asking how to push it FURTHER than he did AND he already had an 1100mhz overclock going. So yeah, I will continue to recommend people stay modest on their cheap motherboards.

Oh I got the point.

Its NOT a "good" board,

And various other garbage down talk.

When in reality, it's the exact opposite.

The original guy was asking how to push it FURTHER

In no way where you helping him.

Instead you went this route.

Enough of the "m5a97" is a valiant board crap. Its not. Its a cheap board

For real?

guy was asking how to push it FURTHER than he did AND he already had an 1100mhz overclock going

Now how do you get it's a cheap board that you shouldn't OC on and THEN type the above? 1100mhz OC and you're telling people the board is not capable.

Get real man.

And please don't assume or insinuate I have zero experience on the matter, thats just annoying.

Here's looking for YOUR 1100mhz OC. share please?

Last edited:
Send a PM next time.

Yes, probably would have been a better approach.

And calling a drunk person "drunk" is hardly a personal attack.

Next time tell him that via PM.

Last edited:
I heard my name mentioned :)..............*looks through thread*...............................
:escape::chair:

Not me, I'm too n00b to drink anything stronger then coke while posting... Then again if I look through some of my older posts I have to wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back