• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

set up a new system about 18 months ago with a gigabyte p35 mobo and a dual core intel cpu 2 gb of memory, 3 hard drives etc

i figured to by a kick-*** psu, so i went 100 dollars for a corsair 520hx which has about a million amps on the 12 volt line.

at the moment this psu has gone south, being that i am in europe it will cost me about 30 euros ship for replacement to Holland. that's another story.

but in the meantime I decided to mount my old psu on the system just to see if i could get up and running. it's a raidmax 400w with 18a on the 12volt line. well, that's for starters, also it only has a 20 socket atx connection uinstead of the 24 on the corsair. i am figuring "no way".

but my comp is up and running real fine now for a couple of days.

the bios voltage readouts are almost exactly the same as what i got on the corsair.

so, what is it with all the hype about psu's? folks are buying 1000 watt psu's these days. what do i really need?

Last edited:
so, what is it with all the hype about psu's?
You can see a Raidmax here. You can see another craptacular PSU's here and here. A nice review here or here. :D

It's not about wattage but about quality of it. You don't need 1KW from a craptacular PSU you need just 500W from a good one.

If you want good/very good ripple suppression, voltage/line regulation, high efficiency, silence, cables, warranty then you must pay for it buying a good PSU. If you want just a cheap PSU because it works anyway take a look at above movies/reviews and think again.

Back